God Is Omnipotent

My position is the following:

God is omnipotent (all-powerful) regardless of whether the following question is true:

"Can God create a rock so heavy that he can't even lift it?"

Good luck to my opponent.

It's my first time here in DDO. And it's my first time hearing that argument. I've never heard of that story, I searched for it and there were also arguments, but I've never found such story.

Anyway, I've found this site:

and it says there are two things God cannot do: lie and deny himself. And I read in other sites that he cannot die. In that particular site, it says...

"This question is based on a popular misunderstanding about the definitions of words like "almighty" or "omnipotent." These terms do not mean that God can do anything. Rather, they describe the amount of God's power. Power is the ability to effect change - to make something happen. God (being unlimited) has unlimited power, and the Bible affirms this... Therefore, God can do whatever is possible to be done. God cannot, however, do that which is actually impossible."

Thanks for accepting! It doesn't matter what definition is used!

Can God make a rock so heavy, he can't even lift it?

This question is often posed to try to show that the concept of an omnipotent God is illogical.

1. Can't defy logic

Let's assume that God posseses omnipotence where he can do anything that doesn't defy logic.

The answer is “no,” because creating a stone so heavy that an all-powerful being cannot lift is a logical absurdity. This doesn't concede that God isn't omnipotent, as the defintion of omnipotence excludes the ability to defy logic.

2. Can defy logic

God can do anything, even defy logic.

Making a rock so heavy he can't lift it is a logical absurdity... but God can defy logic! God can make a rock so heavy he can't lift it, yet remain omnipotent because he can defy logic!

Even under this definition, the Paradox of the Stone fails to prove that omnipotence is illogical.

Remember, because God can defy logic doesn't mean that his ability itself is illogical. I've proven my case.

I apologize. I posted my previous argument believing that I was the one arguing FOR God's omnipotence. I'm sorry but I'm on your side on this one. Please don't mistake me for trolling or anything negative. I just made a mistake believing that you don't believe on God's omnipotence.

In fact, I wrote a philosophy paper last year about God's existence. I could not find it's soft copy and it was deleted on the website I uploaded it to last year. It's title is "Debunking God's non-existence argument." It's here: but it was deleted by a moderator so you won't be able to view it.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you very much for challenging me.
Posted by GarretKadeDupre 2 years ago
please don't vote on this debate, he made a mistake

btw would u mind posting ur paper on this site? or messaging me it? id like to check it out if u dont mind
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Just saw your comment I am altering my vote.