God changes to match science

The God in the bible is not the God that Christians worship today. He has changed with scientific discovery, moving further and further from relevance from everyday life.

Hello, I'm magi800, I agree with the statement but I'll try and disprove it as a challenge!
God has always remained the same in the eyes of the Christian people, the bible shows it as well, look,

Genesis 21:33 Abraham planted a
Tamarisk tree in Beersheba, and
there he called on the name of the
Lord, the Eternal God.

The key word here is ETERNAL, it shows Christians believe god always remains the same, Christians still deny Evolution, even though it has been proven to be true several times.

I am looking forward for a rebuttal, thank you for giving me this opportunity!
magi800 out!

There was 13.6 billion years, there was the stone age, the bronze age, the iron age, and then there was YHWH of the bible. Before the bronze age there was no YHWH.

So the God of Abraham came on the scene. A great warchief, apparently. He didn't hit his full stride until he had a few million people to lead. He was also unusually focused on morality.

I think the focus on war and law took from the areas of scientific inquiry.

So what was the belief of the day. The earth was the center of the universe.

So Galileo finds that the earth is not the center, the sun is. The church decries this as heresy. Which is correct: the idea contradicts the writings of the bible.

Further. The ancients believed the sky was a solid dome, known as the firmament. God lived beyond the firmament. There was a divine action against a skyscraper, presumably with this assumption.

This is just background information for a sweeping overview of what I see:
The earth was everything and the sun, moon, and stars were in submission to the earth. God was the god of the fire, of the wind, and of the humans.
Science discovers what the milky way is, time is the fourth dimension, and suddenly we have God outside of time. String theory postulates "extra dimensions" and the believer clings to this as a place to put God.

Actually, God was just above the earth until ~400 years ago. Then he moved.

Aha, I think you are incorrect there, first about people thinking the Earth was at the centre of the Universe.

This was never explicitly mentioned in the Bible, but back then, it seemed the logical thing to believe.

Remember how self centred humanity was back then, it would have been hard for them to accept that humans weren't important.

Heaven has always been "In the clouds" but it's hard to say whether that was a metaphor or not. (This is hard)

Heaven, isn't God though, God is apparently an androgenous eternal, divine entity, that will always remain unchanged.

Christians will resolutely deny that God is changing with science, the idea of God has changed, but if there is a God, he would have remained the same.

Jesus descended into hell. The bible clearly states that if you drill deep enough you will find a place filled with monsters.

Jesus ascended into heaven. The bible clearly states that if you fly high enough, you will find a place filled with angels.

Remember Stephen? Heaven was visible from Earth. Closer than the space station, probably, if he could make out individual features on faces.

If God leads science, then the Hebrews would be ahead of the scientific knowledge of the time. Instead, we see them taking their cues from the Egyptians, the Babylonians, and later, the Greeks.

There is no way I can win this argument, thank you for the challenge, and well done, mostly for picking a good question, but your astounding knowledge of the Bible and various other sources helps. I look forward to debating with you again.
(sorry for the anticlimax)
Posted by justin.graves 3 years ago
No where do I see that Jesus went to prison. The word there is "prison." In fact, I just looked up the exact translation, and the Greek words for "Hell" and "prison" in this context are different. Therefore, Christ did not go to hell. I also don't see where it says that if you dig a hole deep enough, you will find Hell.
Posted by Nimbus328 3 years ago
Jesus descended into hell.

1 Peter 3:19
By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

See also:
The Apostle's Creed
Posted by x2MuzioPlayer 3 years ago
Evolution is fact... Seriously, people are still trying to sell the "it's just a theory" argument?
Posted by justin.graves 3 years ago
Where the heck does it "clearly state that Jesus descended into hell."? And where does it say that "if you dig a hole deep enough you will find a place filled with monsters."?

And evolution hasn't been proven "several times." if it had, it wouldn't still be a theory.
Posted by magi800 3 years ago
I know right, but Nimbus proved that he had
Posted by justin.graves 3 years ago
God by definition cannot change. If He did, He would not be God.
Vote Placed by x2MuzioPlayer 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con concedes in the final round, so arguments default to Pro.