alexmurphy666
stubs

God does not exist

stubs

alexmurphy666

Pro

This is my first debate, and I will be arguing that God does not exist. I see no compelling evidence for the existence of a deity. If no one has seen him than he has as much existence as anything else that we cannot see, e.g a flying watermelon. The idea of God has been created by humans, and I don't see a reason to believe something that cannot be proved
stubs

Con

I would first like to thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ as well as welcome my opponent to DDO as this is his first debate. I hope you have a good time learning and discussing ideas on the site. Just for future reference most people specify if round one is just for acceptance or not. I will assume it is because you simply gave an introduction. Also for future debates you should define things in your first round post. I will define a God now.

God: "as Anselm put it, the greatest conceivable being; if anyone could conceive of something greater, than THAT would be God, so by definition God is the maximally great being." [1]

I know there is dispute (or maybe I just haven't studied it enough) on who holds the burden of proof if the atheist makes the claim. I think it is on the atheist, for he is making the claim, but I will be more than willingly to share the burden of proof if my opponent wants to do that.

I again want to welcome my opponent to DDO and I look forward to hearing his arguments and having a great debate!

Thank You

1. Reason_Alliance gave this definition in a form post found here: http://www.debate.org...
alexmurphy666

Pro

alexmurphy666 forfeited this round.
stubs

Con

My opponent has forfeited so I have nothing to refute. I will provide an argument regardless.

P1: It is possible that a maximally great being exists.
P2: If it is possible that a maximally great being exists, then a maximally great being exists in some possible world.
P3: If a maximally great being exists in some possible world, then it exists in every possible world.
P4: If a maximally great being exists in every possible world, then it exists in the actual world.
P5: If a maximally great being exists in the actual world, then a maximally great being exists.
P6: Therefore, a maximally great being exists.

Thank You.
alexmurphy666

Pro

alexmurphy666 forfeited this round.
stubs

Con

My opponent has not provided any evidence and has not refuted my claims.

Vote Con

Thanks
Vote Placed by socialpinko 4 years ago
socialpinko
alexmurphy666stubsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Arguments would have gone to Con regardless even if he had not provided any argument since it was Pro's burden to bring an argument and Con's to refute it. But even so he brought an argument and it was never challenged. As such it is conceded. Con also gets conduct for multiple forfeits by Pro.
Vote Placed by Microsuck 4 years ago
Microsuck
alexmurphy666stubsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited