CaesarNathanSkinner
SirNoodles518

God doesn't exist

CaesarNathanSkinner has forfeited round #2.

CaesarNathanSkinner

Pro

My argument is that due to the lack of credible evidence for God's existence the most reasonable position is to disbelieve in God. The burden of proof lies on those who believe in God, just as the burden of proof would lie on Bigfoot believers to make their case. Since the burden of proof lies on those who believe in God, then the debate I take it should focus on the Con side of this argument attempting to give credible evidence for God, while I on the Pro side will attempt to argue for the evidence put forward not being credible, unless it is genuinely credible in which case I would concede.
SirNoodles518

Con

So personally I believe in the Christian God. However let's talk about a God in general. Over history and in different accounts there are many reports and beliefs of a God. Imagine if there were several blind men touching an elephant. Each of them would be able to describe certain features of the elephant but not the full thing. And considering there are so many arguments in history of a God existing, surely a God must exist no matter whether it is the one of Islam or Christianity.

But I don't see how the Bible or other religious texts aren't a credible source of information. They had no cameras so the only way of recording happenings was to write it down. Just because it's about a god doesn't make it less credible than it being about a historical battle. There were that many recordings of a God in history most of them are probably fake. But one must be true or at least on the right track.
Posted by canis 6 months ago
canis
No one cares about the actual existence of any god. A lot of people think a god.. A dream they think they can not live without...Well it is like smartphones.. just turn it off.. Even througt it away..And it will be ok...
Posted by backwardseden 6 months ago
backwardseden
"If it actually wants to achieve its goal by spreading its word to humanity by relying on text, by relying on languages that die off, by relying on anecdotal testimony, that"s not a pathway to truth. And anything that would qualify for a god would know this.which shows either god does not exist or doesn"t care enough about the people to understand the nature of evidence to actually present it. Now which of those two possibilities is accurate?" Matt Dillahunty And he's right.
Posted by backwardseden 6 months ago
backwardseden
@SirNoodles518 ""But I don't see how the Bible or other religious texts aren't a credible source of information." Because no god,/ supreme deity would ever ever ever communicate in text form, the worst form of communication possible so man can get it wrong with no updates in at least 2,000 years. That's why.
"If god is all knowing and he knows the future of all events and he wrote a book that can only be interpreted as if it endorses slavery and if its heinous violence against your children against your neighbors" how could a god be that omnipotent and devise a book where we can"t distinguish between the law of Israel and god"s law? I mean their interwoven where we have metaphor and fact and nobody can distinguish the two. We don"t know what we"re supposed to take figuratively. We don"t know what we"re supposed to take literally. Was it actually a tree? I mean come on. How can anyone distinguish this. I mean come on. It doesn"t make any sense. It doesn"t matter how its translated. It doesn"t matter what version. If it was written by an omnipotent being there would be ONE VERSION. And there would be only ONE WAY to interpret it because it would be written well." Amon Ra
continuing... "Actually it wouldn"t be written at all. What"s wrong with your god comin" down and talking to people? "Hey you know some of that stuff that"s in the book? I"m here to correct it." Matt Dillahunty

We have to rely on copies of copies of anonymous authors with no originals and the textural testimony to a miracle for example, there"s no amount of reports, anecdotal reports that is sufficient to justify in believing that actually happened as reported. And anything that would qualify as a god would clearly understand this and if it wanted to clearly convey this to people in a way that is believable would not be relying on ---TEXT--- to do so. And this to me is the nail in the coffin for christianity. The god that christians believe in is amazingly ---STUPID---!!!
Posted by missmedic 6 months ago
missmedic
Humans have invented thousands of gods over thousands of years and all have become myths.
Posted by dsjpk5 6 months ago
dsjpk5
Which God? You may want to define which god you are denying exists. As it stands now, it would be easy to defeat you.
Posted by MrDelaney 6 months ago
MrDelaney
Your debate setup is a bit confusing. You have the Pro side but say you want to take the con side.
You also state "the most reasonable position is to disbelieve in God," but the name of the debate is actually "God doesn't exist."

You may want to start a new one.