Darryn_Stylees
Samdeman90

God exists .

Con Tied Pro

Darryn_Stylees

Con

For every one turn i have you can have ten. Even at those odds i will win and you will lose. :P
Samdeman90

Pro

Hello Sir,

God exists. Fact.

Prove me wrong.
Darryn_Stylees

Con

You have wasted an ample opportunity to provide a good solid argument, but maybe that's a technique which I am not aware of.

Firstly I know that I can easily say there is no evidence of any higher being, at which point you will say there is not any evidence of there not being some higher being. So let us put that "lack of evidence" aside and discuss this matter theoretically and philosophically.

Firstly we should ask what are the important events which we can discuss. The creation of the universe is the most obvious. Then there is the presence of human life in the universe. And also we can discuss the impact of god on life today. I am assuming for the sake of this debate that you wish to argue the existence of the Christian God. If I am incorrect in this assumption please correct me so I can ensure that my argument is relevant.

First point: Creation. Now the theory of creation related to the presence of a "god" is basically that God created the world in seven periods of time - which we now call days. Personally I am a believer in the Big Bang Theory.
Basically at one point in time the universe became infinitely dense and hot , the reason for this is unknown, but basically it was an anomaly , which if you think of it was bound to happen. Now I am sure that a somewhat educated man such as yourself is aware of the evidence for the big bang ( if not let me know and I will explain in my next post).
Now my friend, I am what people today would call a realist ; in my opinion the occurrence of a widely accepted scientific theory with extensive evidence and which is incredibly understandable , seems just a tad more believable than the idea that some "higher being" spoke the words "let there be light" and so immediately he created part of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Which leads me to my next point, if there was a "god" then who created him ? Did he just appear as if by fluke much like the big bang ? Out of nowhere did a being so complex appear that he was able to create all we know today?

Why is it that you believe in god? I am greatly interested to gain a simple Christian's point of view . Why is it that you would rather believe in a fictional entity than basic scientific principles ?
Now I am a firm believer in "to each his own" and am not criticising your point of view, just enquiring as to why you have that point of view when so many more likely theories point the other way .

In your next post may i advise that you rebut what I have said and then move onto the next 2 important discussion points - the creation of man, and the presence of a higher being today.

Thanks, and good luck.
Samdeman90

Pro

Well, I must say that that was an intelligent and well thought out response. I hope it sets a good tone for the rest of the debate!

I am a Christian, yes, and my point of view is from a biblical perspective.

For my first point, we have Creation. As you said, the biblical account of Creation states that God created the universe in six days(he rested on the seventh). I believe that this happened for a couple of reasons, which I will state to you later. but first, I must explain my point of view on the Big Bang theory:

Now the Big Bang theory is a very educated attempt to explain how the universe arrived at the point it is today, and it does a decent job of predicting cosmic events. However, I believe that it is flawed and it only shows us part of what really happened. The problem with the big bang theory is that it can't adequately explain how you came to be a part of it. It can't explain how life happened by merely natural means. I think that humanity is far too unlikely and far too illogical to have occurred as a random event. As such, I have concluded that the Big Bang theory is incomplete because it leaves out the presence of a Creator. However, unlike many Christians I do believe that a lot of the essentials of the Big Bang theory are accurate (i.e. the expanding universe, time and space originating at one single point etc....)

Genesis 1:1 - "In the Beginning God created the heavens and the earth" (In other words, The beginning of time and the original expansion of the universe from a single point(God).......... This event was what you would call the Big Bang.)

I now have a couple of replies id like to make to somethings you said
You Said: "if there was a "god" then who created him ? Did he just appear as if by fluke much like the big bang ? Out of nowhere did a being so complex appear that he was able to create all we know today?".
My Reply: there has never been "nowhere". There is absolutely nothing, nothing at all, that exists outside of God. Time, space, good, evil; these are all part of God and they are impossible to differentiate from Him. In other words, nothing created God: He has existed for as long as there has been existence. He is existence.

You Said: "Why is it that you believe in god? I am greatly interested to gain a simple Christian's point of view . Why is it that you would rather believe in a fictional entity than basic scientific principles ?"
My Reply: I am very much a believer in basic scientific principles. And surprisingly enough, I am also a believer in God. It is really a tragedy that so many people assume that Christians deny the principles of science(Especially since a lot of Christians DO deny the principles of science!).

I have two final points to make about God. They are, as you suggested(thanks), the creation of Man and God's presence in life today.

The bible teaches that man was created to glorify God, and I believe that. Now humankind is different from all of the rest of creation because of our capacity for original thought. God created us to use our special gifts to make for ourselves a wonderful society. This has yet to happen, because of sin, which is a product of mankind

I believe that God is very present in the world today. He has had a profound effect on my life personally, and I see His hand in many events around the world. Now you might find it hard to believe in a "benign" being who allows death to occur...... but I believe that death is all part of God's self-glorifying plan. You might find it appalling that any being would send other beings to an eternity of torment.... but I understand that since everything is God's, He can do what He wants with us.(a very frightening and humbling concept)

In conclusion, I believe that God created the universe in a way very similar to what you would call the Big Bang. His existence is an ideal, if somewhat mind-boggling, explanation for how the universe came to be as it is today.

Thank you for your, excellent reply. I look forward to you next one!
Darryn_Stylees

Con

Darryn_Stylees forfeited this round.
Samdeman90

Pro

Well Sir, it seems you have abandoned this debate! I am deeply regretful that we cannot finish out this final round. I must say the one post you gave was very interesting, and i greatly enjoyed this one-round verbal sortie!

Thank You!
Samdeman90
Posted by RoyLatham 8 years ago
RoyLatham
Is this a debate or a poll? I'll suppose it is a debate. Pro loses conduct for failing to make an opening statement and then forfeiting. Bad conduct in the comments doesn't count in the debate, but deserves a serious warning at minimum. Pro loses the argument for failing to adequately respond to "who created God?" problem.
Posted by philosphical 8 years ago
philosphical
lol leave a comment like that in you debate and expect people to vote for you? lol good luck man
Posted by josh.suyker 8 years ago
josh.suyker
haha please calm it down darryn.
Posted by josh.suyker 8 years ago
josh.suyker
Also, to Darryn_Stylees, God was not created from a big bang, he is infinite. He has always been, never created, never to dye. The human mind is simply unable to comprehend the idea of true infinity, as everything we know has been created and will at some time cease to exist. Just a point to mull over not really anything that will change the debate. Thank you.
Posted by josh.suyker 8 years ago
josh.suyker
I very much agree with some points of the pro's arguments here. I agree that the bible says that god created the world in six days and rested on the seventh. However, these days may not be days as we know them now. The original word in the bible simply translated as "units of time". What is to say that these units of time were in fact millionths of a second? This could put an end to the Big Bang theory discussion. It is entirely possible to be a christian and believe in the big bang, although many people, (Christians and Agnostics alike), believe it is not. Thank you
Posted by josh.suyker 8 years ago
josh.suyker
Posted by Lampshade 8 years ago
Lampshade
there is a simple reason why i believe in the christian god.
this will probaly seem like a stupid reason but one night when i was a small child, i thought about death in bed. All i could see was a dark abyss. I didnt really believe in god then but i still thought of hell and i started crying. i went down to my mother and she said that if i believed in god, then i would go to heaven. Of course, this really had no effect on my besides i stopped crying and went to bed. about 10 years later, in church, i thought about that night and i realized the thought of god comforted me. Its not that god exists, but it is the thought that he exists.

Of course, thats just me.. you find your own way
Posted by sgtsledge 8 years ago
sgtsledge
I think these types of debates should be run on theory rather than facts because there are so many skewed facts and things that can be claimed but not verified which makes the debate boring if all you do is throw facts at each other
Posted by puppyluvz 8 years ago
puppyluvz
How was god created? who created him?
quite simply, god was created the same way space was.
space is eternal correct? yes.
So god is eternal too!
No one CREATED god, he is eternal
Posted by InquireTruth 8 years ago
InquireTruth
You never specified God. The easy win would be to say that God exists, if not in reality, at least in my imagination.
Vote Placed by Bray 7 years ago
Bray
Darryn_StyleesSamdeman90Tied
Vote Placed by Samdeman90 8 years ago
Samdeman90
Darryn_StyleesSamdeman90Tied