Ockham
JORDANWARBY

God exists.

JORDANWARBY has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 2 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

Ockham

Con

The resolution is that God exists. Pro will be arguing that God exists, while Con will be arguing that Pro has not established that God exists.

By accepting this debate, Pro agrees that they have the burden of proof to establish that it is objectively more likely than not that God exists. The rules for assessing this are the standard rules of logic, including the rules of deductive and inductive inference. For example, a deductive argument must be deductively valid and have premises that we have sufficient reason to believe are true, and an inductive argument must establish that the conclusion is the best or only explanation for the evidence cited in the premises.

God for the purposes of this debate shall be defined, by default, as an omnipotent, omniscient, all good person. I take this definition from the first paragraph of the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy entry on "Concepts of God." [1]

If Pro wants to use a definition other than this default definition, they should ask for me to approve it in the comments section before accepting the debate. The following types of definition are unacceptable: (a) Definitions that attempt to win the debate by defining God as something that obviously exists, like "God is love" or "God is the universe." (b) Definitions that attempt to define God as something radically different from the traditional Judeo-Christian God as conceived of by Anselm, Aquinas, Richard Swinburne, or other traditional authors.

Please note that the character maximum for this debate is 5,000 characters per round.

[1] https://plato.stanford.edu...
JORDANWARBY

Pro

hi I think that god exists because if there were just a few people on earth then how did the form on earth. I also think that he created animas because us and animals are almost the same as we are made of molecules and I think that when god created us he held the molecules until they stuck together
Ockham

Con

I thank my opponent for accepting the debate and wish him luck.

Pro presents the following facts to support the resolution:

1. People formed on earth.
2. Animals and people are both made of molecules.

No elaboration of either of these arguments is given - it's not explained how either of these facts are relevant to the alleged existence of an omnipotent, omniscient, perfectly good being. In other words, my opponent has violated the principle of reasoning known as The Relevance Principle: "One who presents an argument for or against a position should attempt to set forth only reasons that are directly related to the merit of the position at issue." [1]

The above is sufficient to refute Pro's case. However, in order to more thoroughly refute him, I will provide alternative explanations for both of the facts cited that do not appeal to the existence of God. Fact 1 can be explained by the theory of evolution. Humans were formed by the process of natural selection as they evolved from earlier life forms. [2] Fact 2 can be explained by pointing out that all matter is made of molecules, so of course both humans and animals are made of molecules.

Pro clearly has not met his burden of proof - hopefully he will make a stronger attempt in future rounds.

[1] *Attacking Faulty Reasoning* by T. Edward Damer, fifth edition, p. 78
[2] *Why Evolution is True* by Jerry Coyne