God is Irrelevant in Today's Life

Many of the religious debates are about the existence of God. I counter that God is irrelevant. Science has mapped out the origins of our universe and even have evidence about what came before it.

God is not needed for life in the twenty-first century. I would like to hear from someone on the Con position, but only if we can keep the debate calm and professional.

I see your point, but isn't the Universe expanding? And why do scientist want to prove that God does not exist? I find it really odd that we evolved from monkey's, but no monkeys have evolved in to humans. I see your point of view, but what is the exact proof of God not existing?

First off, the burden of proof that God exists is on your side. If I were to say "unicorns exist, prove me wrong", that would be ridiculous.

Second, humans evolved from primates- not monkeys. Monkeys and humans branched off separately from them over millions of years and evolved to the creatures of today. And to ask "why haven't today's monkeys evolved into humans," is like asking "how can we have been babies if there are still babies around today".

Finally, yes, the universe is expanding outward, called 'spatial inflation', which is just more evidence for the Big Bang.

My question to you: given the insurmountable evidence that earth is over 4 billion years old, and humans have only been around for a fraction of the time, what did God do in the interim? Wait 3+ billion years for humans to finally show up?

Ok, thank you for correcting me, first off. You are right, I also didn't use any evidence. I can say that time is something that we made, we could really be millions of years old, but God made something simple for our minds. Also, God's time could be different from ours. His seven days could have been millions of years for us. I can say that we all have an opinion, and we have to acknowledge it.

I do respect your beliefs, but this is the ultimate non sequitur. Saying it's "God's plan" or "God's timeline" is a cop out.

And time is a scientific metric measured by the number of times our Earth orbits the sun. Geologists use radiometric dating which has identified the oldest rocks at 4.5 billion years old. Or 4.5 billion orbits around the sun. Furthermore, based on meteorites and moon rocks, scientists have dated the universe at approx 13.8 billion years. They even have more evidence about what came before that.

So again, God is irrelevant. We don't need Him to understand our existence. And we don't need Him to understand morality. Anyone who 'acts' moral only to get into heaven is scum. A person who is really moral, like both of us, does so without any expectation of reward.

God was always irrelevant to some people, we can't just start saying he is irrelevant. Who's to say that we exist or that we just live inside our minds? I am a believer in God, but I understand your point of view. Thank you for the debate.
Posted by DarthKenobi 2 months ago
WhatIsYourProof did not make any arguments? He could have argued the improbability of all the factors lining up perfectly to create and sustain life without the assistance of a divine being. He could have proposed the Omphalos principle (God created everything with apparent age, countering millions of years). Just to name a few. It was hardly a debate, but props to the winner.
Posted by canis 2 months ago
Nope. Dreams are never irrelevant..Ideas are never irrelevant..But...Yes god is if you make "him" a nightmare with no new ideas..But your own..
Posted by WhatIsYourProof 2 months ago
You were amazing. I believe I lost, but that is ok.
Vote Placed by BackCommander 2 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con doesn't make an argument for their side at all. Pro's entire argument is that God is irrelevant in the modern era due to science answering most of Man's unanswered questions, which is never directly argued by Con. Con can not be awarded points for most convincing arguments either way, as they've failed to make one.