TheRealSpassky101
Berend

God is a bad role model for morals

Berend has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

TheRealSpassky101

Pro

Hello. Welcome to my debate. I expect this to be a clean fight. Have fun.
Berend

Con

Thank you for the debate. I've not had a debate on here for nine months. Since my opponent is affirming the resolution, I will argue against the motion on God being a bad role model for morals.

I'll leave this post void so that my opponent can actually make an opening post before I do. Thank you.
TheRealSpassky101

Pro

Thank you for joining.
In my argument, I will prove that God is immoral. Morals are the understanding of right and wrong. I can conclude that when God says vile and nasty things, such as bragging of raping women and ordering the deaths of infants, that God is not moral. When God orders the death of children when they mock a priest or does not allow people with birth defects such as being short or blind into a church because they are not "clean", I can make an assumption that God is not a good role model.
Posted by Berend 2 weeks ago
Berend
Sorry I didn't reply. I was overwhelmed with school work.
Posted by TheRealSpassky101 1 month ago
TheRealSpassky101
Skipaweirdo, morals are unainous decisions based on empathy. Howcan you create empathy if you are looking up to authority?

Here are more definitions:
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/moral
Posted by missmedic 1 month ago
missmedic
It is important not to confuse objective morality with absolutist morality. The latter is a hallmark of religious doctrines, which make statements of the type "thou shalt not". But an objective morality, i.e. a morality based on the facts of reality, does not need to be of that type. All it needs in order to be objective is to refer to some facts of reality as source of moral judgments. Because of this, atheism is perfectly compatible with objective morality. The more you know the less you believe.............
God by definition is immutable, so how do you explain the moral improvements that humans have made.
Posted by skipsaweirdo 1 month ago
skipsaweirdo
Wow, this is yet another self defeating topic. You can't establish bad role model for morals without an authority on morals. Since there isn't one you can't determine bad.