bbulz
abhistraj

God is just a figmet of our imaginations

bbulz

Pro

Well, I have asked many religious people the question, why is it that you believe what you do? The often respond with something like "i just feel it in my heart" or "i was brought up to believe it". The latter response is one of complete ignorance and it just blows my mind how willing people are to just go with the flow. I also often ask if they have read, watched, or heard any science programs. They often reply with " well how do you know science is fact". I slap my head at this because science first of all has a heap of evidence backing it up and two science isn't about telling what is and isn't it is about finding more out about our lives. Scientists don't make insane assumptions about gods. Another response to the why do you believe question is "it makes me feel better". It is ludicrous to believe in god because it makes you feel better. That is like me saying I believe in unicorns because it makes me happy. Religion only exists because our ancestors didn't know how the world worked and wanted an explanation so they began telling creation myths and eventually people began to believe these. There are so many religions, how can you know which is right. The answer none are right
abhistraj

Con

You need to clarify first what you what to convey by saying God is just an imagination.Are you talking about the beliefs or religions or something else.
You are backing up your points using science and say that science proves itself but proves using what, Science again,Why only few countries went to Mars or Moon, why not all but why even the remotest places in the world, the ones that are still hidden in the wilderness,every civilization has the concept of God.Is it possible that every place,all the people had the same imagination.
You said that because our ancestors were not able to justify why things happen, they drafted out a hypothetical concept called God. Our ancestors were the once who made some realistic things on which our Science stands and moves for ex. TIRE.
bbulz

Pro

"You are backing up your points using science and say that science proves itself but proves using what, Science again,Why only few countries went to Mars or Moon, why not all but why even the remotest places in the world, the ones that are still hidden in the wilderness,every civilization has the concept of God.Is it possible that every place,all the people had the same imagination." I want to touch on the point that every civilization has a concept of god or gods. How am I supposed to believe in a god when there isn't any proof. Sure many religions do believe in higher powers , but not all of them. Many people think alike and have similar ideas. Similar to how most civilizations thought of their form of the bow and arrow. No other civilization told them how to make it, they came up with the idea themselves.
abhistraj

Con

abhistraj forfeited this round.
bbulz

Pro

bbulz forfeited this round.
abhistraj

Con

abhistraj forfeited this round.
bbulz

Pro

bbulz forfeited this round.
abhistraj

Con

abhistraj forfeited this round.
Posted by bbulz 2 years ago
bbulz
no religous person has given me a valid reason about why they believe in what they do
Posted by Esiar 2 years ago
Esiar
"often respond with something like "i just feel it in my heart" or "i was brought up to believe it"."
You haven't talked to enough religious people.
Posted by ninjafifa 2 years ago
ninjafifa
Pro, bbluz, I would love to debate this topic with you.
Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
The only way to conceptualise a supernatural being is in the imagination.
Posted by bbulz 2 years ago
bbulz
god is defined as : any higher power
Posted by UtherPenguin 2 years ago
UtherPenguin
I would like to accept this challenge but could you define the terms first?
Posted by YassineB 2 years ago
YassineB
- Are you going to define God or not?!