God is not real

Plain has forfeited round #3.
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

I believe that god does not exist for many reasons. I will just be saying for now the simple reason of logic. Its not very hard to use your brain and when i use mine, i dont really see a spirit outside of the universe. The universe is everything in the world and it doesnt make sense if something is outside of it. Im not going to belive in something that i cant see or something that there is absolutely no evidence for. Also why did God only perform miracles back when nobody needed them, i mean he doesnt seem to be doing much now and the world needs it more than it did before. Anyone with a brain could understand why God does not exist. Thankyou!

You say it doesn't make sense of something outside the universe exists. Not making sense isnt a logical argument.
Also God as a being performing miracles is one of the forms people have said God may assume. In essence, God is imagined as some being with powers or knowledge greater than humans and with some sort of involvement in creation of the universe or life.
Just because you personally can not imagine a God doesn't logically disprove the existence of one.
Now for my main argument, if you are into physics,you will know that simulations of the big bang have been done with variations in fundamental quantities and it has been found that if some quantities, like mass of a proton or charge of an electron were even slightly different, a universe like ours couldn't exist. This leads to the belief that there must be something beyond or above that has fixed these values at the exact values which allow life and a universe like ours to exist.
One more question which the existence of god would answer would be how did our universe start, or how was it created?

Yes but what if we are wrong, what if we have been wrong this whole time. Maybe not everything has to have been created. And the universe is everything, so logically without the universe the universe couldn't have been created. The universe could have been here all along and maybe it didn't have to be created. We haven't found out everything and all we know is a very small amount. What if really far away in space everything is different, different than the world we know. It may show us some evidence of planets being created and new dimensions.
Scientific based theories that have had years of research done and evidence of evolution is much more reliable than just thinking that a floating spirit with magical powers went bam! and the world was made. The world has shown us evidence that it Has been around for much longer then 10 thousand years. With the power of science and logic I don't understand how people can still believe in something like God. I mean the only little bit of proof is the bible. But there is no proof that the bible is real. See there is always a loophole for us atheists to disprove God. I am not saying that I know there is no God but I am saying that I am not going to turn away from evidence and logic because there is a chance that God is real. There is no point wasting my life and trying to please God in everything that I do if there is no certainty of his existence. And I would like to ask some personal reflect questions or maybe answer them in your next argument.
Why does God kill innocent people for no reason?
How does God know the future if we have free will?
Why is Gods plan for some people death at birth?
How come God sounds so loving and fair when he approves slavery, doesn't think woman are important and kills people that are naturally attracted to the same sex?
How could you make this type of God your leader?
And if I do not believe in God because my parents have never taught it to me(they have) do I have to spend all of eternity in Hell?

Ofcourse there is a possibility we are wrong, but that's true for a lot of things. So much science is theories and assumptions. The possibility of being wrong is not a proof of being wrong. Universe is everything we have discovered or imagined so far. There are multiverse theories stating that there are parallel universes.
You are saying the universe was here all along, but people try to extrapolate time to before the universe. They try to imagine and contemplate. Very few believe in the idea of universe existing from infinite years ago.
To answer to your what ifs, we don't know, but that doesn't mean you are any more right than I. It's possible there's evidence out there of planets being created by some process, but then again, people ask- who initiated that process?
Again the view of God as someone who created humans is arguable. Many theists believe in evolution. I agree the world has been around for 1000's of years, but what made it exist?
Bible isn't an argument I have used or will use at any point. If you're not saying that you know there is no God, you are agnostic and not atheist so please get your definitions clear.
Again ideas of pleasing God and karma and even heavens may not be true, but the idea of a creator may.
No one says God controls death and birth. No one says God approves slavery, opposes women or kills people naturally attracted to the same sex. Humans do that. They do it for social reasons. But how this society came into existence may have God as an answer. No one says God is a leader. Today we look to politicians and humanitarian as leaders. Not all religions believe in heaven and he'll. God isn't restricted to particular religions or beliefs about his powers and control over beings.
But the existence of a God cannot be disproved. You can have personal opinions, but the topic of this debate is that God is not real, which is an affirmative statement. This can not be proved with all certainty. The lack of existence of a creator cannot be disproved by any amount of science.
Posted by Zaephou 1 month ago
Coming from an atheist perspective, I do not agree with either perspective, since Pro is passing that God does not exist as a fact, while Con tries to do the opposite.
Posted by Mindshot 1 month ago
Pro's arguments are really not thought through or researched at all. These arguments are almost not worth the effort to respond to. At the end of your argument you proport what the Bible teaches on several different subjects, which you have completely wrong.

You also vaguely hint at a self existent eternal cosmos. This flys in the face of the law of causality and the fact that the cosmos is contingent. The consensus of contemporary cosmologists is that the Cosmos in fact, began to exist and that it is NOT eternal.
Posted by Mindshot 1 month ago
Pro is arguing that "he will not believe in something that he cannot see" and is referring to what he calls "simple logic" in order to come to his conclusions. His premise here is fallacious because we all believe in things we can't "see". For example; personality, gravity, motion, attraction and so on, even reason and logic are not something we see, yet he is using these "unseen" systems of thought to conclude the very thing he is trying to disprove.

Science first engages in inductive logic, meaning they look at any existing physical evidence and then uses deductive reason to come to a deductive conclusion (at least in some cases).

Let me illustrate, if for example, a person is found dead in a hotel room on the sixth story of a building and a detective arrives on the scene to discover a bullet hole in the window, with the broken shards on inside of the room, there is a bullet hole in the victims forehead, and a bullet is lodged into the wall behind where the victims is laying on the floor, I could reasonably conclude he was assassinated. This is all inductive reasoning or logic based on existing empirical evidence to come to a reliable and rational deductive conclusion he was assassinated.

Deductively I don't need to "SEE" the assassin, to rationally know one must "necessarily" exist based on the empirical inductive evidence at hand. The same can be said of a "Creator". Our cosmos is contingent, that is causal, meaning that the cosmos "began to exist" so the big bang and the necessary existence of a self-existent, actually eternal being must exist for anything to exist. This is not in any way deductively irrational and does NOT violate the laws of logic or rationality.
Posted by Zim 1 month ago
I personally believe that sure, maybe there's a greater being out there, but the stories behind it just seem so... Random, in a way. Maybe I would understand it more if I looked into the mythology, but from just learning about it in school.. Not that I disrespect religious people, but do you really think all that stuff happened?

Most of all, the belief that humans did not evolve from something else seems unrealistic. Humans couldn't have been randomly created as advanced as we are now (not meaning technology wise). And the fact that God apparently looked and acted like a regular human seems really fake.

Maybe I misunderstand this too, but the bible being written in a certain language(s) when languages shouldn't have existed before the apparent creation of humans is strange, but some might argue saying that God just knows all or whatever.

And something that I really don't believe in- Heaven and Hell. I believe in rebirth; not exactly strongly, and I can't argue my point, really. It just seems logical.

If I have something wrong here, feel free to correct me
Posted by straightup.gong 1 month ago
Con's argument kind of sounds like an introduction to Ancient Aliens. I believe that aliens could have possibly helped us create this universe and life. There is evidence to the existence of aliens, yet no evidence to the existence of God.
Posted by missmedic 1 month ago
The existence of evil and suffering in our world seems to pose a serious challenge to belief in the existence of a perfect God. If God were all-knowing, it seems that God would know about all of the horrible things that happen in our world. If God were all-powerful, God would be able to do something about all of the evil and suffering. Furthermore, if God were morally perfect, then surely God would want to do something about it. And yet we find that our world is filled with countless instances of evil and suffering. These facts about evil and suffering seem to conflict with the orthodox theist claim that there exists a perfectly good God. The challenged posed by this apparent conflict has come to be known as the problem of evil.
Posted by Iacov 1 month ago
Define real.
Posted by issacjuma 1 month ago
So if everything on this planet, in this solar system, in this universe comes from somewhere. Where does it then begin? There is no proof the Big Bang theory happened, that's the reason it is still a theory. So if not there then where? Most of the greatest scientists of the past believed in a higher power and these are the same people that scientist look up to and admire.