Taramarie
wampe

God is omnipotent

wampe

Taramarie

Pro

Assuming God exists, is God is omnipotent, and all powerful? Meaning he can do anything. I know a common argument used against God being all powerful, is Can God make a rock so big he cannot lift it? I will not give my response to this argument until someone accepts this debate. just so you are aware, I am a Christian, and I do believe in the existence of God.
wampe

Con

I accept this debate and the assumption that God exists. (I assume this is the Christian God based on the Bible)
Taramarie

Pro

Yes it is the Christian God based on the bible.

I believe God is omnipotent. what is your opinion on this?
wampe

Con

My on opinion is that you are required to support your position.

As Con my position is that if the Christian God exists it could not be omnipotent based on a commonly referenced part of the Bible

(Judges 1:19 And the LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.)

I also would like to draw the readers to a commonly used problem called "problem of evil"

1. If God exists, then God is omnipotent, omniscient, and morally perfect.
2. If God is omnipotent, then God has the power to eliminate all evil.
3. If God is omniscient, then God knows when evil exists.
4. If God is morally perfect, then God has the desire to eliminate all evil.
5.Evil exists.
6. If evil exists and God exists, then either God doesn't have the power to eliminate all evil, or doesn't know when evil exists, or doesn't have the desire to eliminate all evil.
7.Therefore, God doesn't exist.

I look forward to reading the support that the Christian God is omnipotent and all powerful.
Taramarie

Pro

Taramarie forfeited this round.
wampe

Con

Deferring to next round for closing.
Taramarie

Pro

Taramarie forfeited this round.
wampe

Con

Well I guess my closing must be that pro made a claim bit never supported the position. Maybe next time.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
To squidward,

I like to think that I would try and stop you, somehow.
Yes all people should have empathy.
In some situations empathy is a liability, though. Like if you have to kill people to prevent them from spreading a disease.
Posted by squidward97 2 years ago
squidward97
to mightbenhilism,
Would you try and stop me? Do you think all people should have empathy?
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
Dear squidward,

If you said it seriously, and not because you were having a bad day or something, I'd say you lack empathy.
Posted by squidward97 2 years ago
squidward97
to mightbenhilism,
This may sound weird, but if I were to say "I am going to go kill innocent babies for fun"...what would you say?
Posted by Neoman 2 years ago
Neoman
Ok ok let me tell you what really happened folks. some eager people always wanted to control humanity. First it was like: "look at the bright thing on the sky!, its all shiny and warm! Praise it or it will kill ya!" Shamans controlled humans untill science prooved sun was nothing but a star in the universe. The battle went on and on and science always won. Untill one day the "eager" people came up with an idea and said: god cannot be seen cannot be felt, but he is watching you and he will punish you if you dont "behave". Science tought noone can be that stupid to believe in such nonesense. yet, it happened. primitive, ignorant people started to believe in something they couldnt even feel. By making small changes, they created other "religions" to divide people in groups, which made them easier to control. Instead of questoning if such supernatural power really existed, they started to question which religion was the right one. And now as we know, they are controlling billions of people through religions. You are welcome. My work here is done.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
Dear squidward,

I would say that there isn't an objective good and evil. There is objective empathy, however. "Good and evil" is a descriptive term of the consequences of empathy, when referring to others.

To state it another way, we have an innate concept of "good and evil" because of our innate sense of empathy. "Good and evil" do not "come from" empathy, they are concepts which are a consequence of an already existing empathy.

Of course, empathy can be societaly conditioned or ruined entirely by bad upbringing and/or organic brain dysfunctions.

Let me know if I'm still being unclear.
Posted by squidward97 2 years ago
squidward97
To mightbenhilism - I still feel like you are saying that good and evil come from empathy and not the reciprocal. Is this true, or am I still not understanding?
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
might. That is exactly what I am saying.Now I am not talking about just a religious person.But a person who knows his place in the covenant. Puts on the whole armour of God, and walks in the truth, or the word of God.Jesus walked perfectly in that covenant and no one could get to him till the cross.He walked away from a stoning. He walked off from being thrown off a cliff. It wasn't that he couldn't die, he just did not allow those things to get to him. Ever read the 91st psalm.

God says that the only reason his people perish is lack of knowledge. Lack of knowledge of who we are in Christ. We are in the world ,but are not born of this world.God gets glory when we are well, not when we let some horrible disease just eat away at our bodies. He wishes above ALL THINGS that we prosper and be in health, even as our souls prosper. "Anyone who just lays down and accepts sickness or disease is not prospering in their souls.Thye are wallowing in religion.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
Cheyennebodie, are you saying that a faithful Christian would have less tribulation in their lives and more material blessings than, say, a sinful, cheese-burger eating heathen?
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Sin is anything that keeps the blessing from being in our lives. Whatever is not of faith is sin.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
TaramariewampeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Commondebator 2 years ago
Commondebator
TaramariewampeTied