God is one, not three

I believe that GOD is one person, not three. In the Bible, it talks about how GOD is one person, but people can go against me for that. Remember, this debate is supposed to gain knowledge, not to create war and problems. Good Luck!

I hate to say this, but to say that God is only one person is to against the clear testimony of the Bible.

But good luck to you anyways.

Land_Sharkz forfeited this round.

To start off, I am assuming Con is a Christian. Con himself said that the Bible teaches God is one person. Well my job is to prove the Deity of the following: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. If it can be shown that all three of these persons are God from the scriptures, then the debate is over and I win, unless of course Con can provide a counter-response to what I am about to say.

With that said, let's move on to see what the Bible has to say concerning this subject:

The Deity of the Father

This is something that both Unitarians and Trinitarians are in no disagreement over, namely that the Father is God. The scripture evidence for this is so overwhelming that I will just provide a couple of verses.

And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible for you. Remove this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.” (Mark 14:36)

"Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you. For on him God the Father has set his seal." (John 6:27)

Virtually every book in the New Testament establishes that the Father is God, so there is no need to list a bunch of them, so two verses are sufficient to establish that the Father is God.

The Deity of the Son

Because the Biblical evidence for the Deity of the Son is so overwhelming, I will provide a lengthy exegesis on one particularly popular verse, John 1:1. First let me post it and then explain it a bit.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." (John 1:1)

This passage is so clear and so plain that you would wonder why anyone denies that the Bible teaches the Deity of Jesus. Well there is one particular group, namely the Jehovahs Witnesses who try to get around this verse.

Basically instead of translating the last clause of John 1:1 as "and the Word was God", they translate it as "and the Word was a god". They basically add an "a" and lowercase the "g" in order to give the impression that this verse isn't teaching that Jesus is God but rather, a created being therefore, it should be "a god".

This is a mistake and stems from a lack of knowledge of Greek grammar. In Greek Grammar you could comunicate "the Word was God" by putting the predicate "God" ('theos' in Greek) first. But if you wish to do this, the predicate can NOT have a "the" in front of it. Otherwise, what you would be saying is "The God is the Word" which means that John would be teaching only the Word is God and that's all there is to God. So the way John constructed the verse was the clearest way that he could've taught that the Word was God - the 2nd person of the Trinity, while not trying to give us the impression that only the Word is God. He communicates to us that the the Word was with the Father who is God and the Word himself was God (not the Father).

No reputable Greek scholar translates John 1:1 like the Jehovahs Witnesses do. If Con wants to dispute what I just said about John 1:1, we can talk during the rebuttals.

Just a quick note: any attempt on the part of Con to give verses saying that Jesus is a man will receive a quick and robust "amen" from me. It is not against the teaching of Trinitarianism that Jesus was a man. Of course he is a man, but that's not all the Bible teaches, as John 1:1 shows.

The Deity of the Holy Spirit

The Bible likewise teaches the Deity of the Holy Spirit:

"But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back for yourself part of the proceeds of the land? While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not at your disposal? Why is it that you have contrived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to man but to God.”" (Acts 5:3-4)

Notice how Peter equates lying to the Holy Spirit as lying to God. Clear as day testimony to the Deity of the Holy Spirit if you ask me.

According to the Bible, the Holy Spirit could be blasphemed:

“Truly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the children of man, and whatever blasphemies they utter,but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sinfor they were saying, “He has an unclean spirit.” (Mark 3:29)

May I suggest that only God can be blasphemed. How can a created being be blasphemed? How can God's active force be blasphemed? The Holy Spirit is no created being, nor is it God's active force, but is God.

According to the Bible, the Holy Spirit is eternal:

"how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God." (Hebrews 9:14)

I think Con and I can both agree that only God can be eternal, no created being is eternal. If you say the Holy Spirit is not God, then you are saying that someone other than God is eternal, which the Bible does not support.

Only God is eternal, the Holy Spirit is eternal, therefore, the Holy Spirit is God.
Very clear and very simple.

All three Divine persons mentioned:

"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" (Matthew 28:19)

Notice what is being said here by Jesus, baptize in the name (singular) of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. The one name is shared by the three persons. Clear as day Trinitarian passage in the Bible. For it would be utter blasphemy to equate created beings with the Father.

If Con wants to come back and say that Matthew 28:19 is a later addition, like some do, I am more than ready to respond to the arguments he will give.

There is only One God

Interestingly, in spite of the Bible teaching that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit; the Bible still teaches that there is only one God.

"Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one." (Mark 13:29)

I have shown that the Bible teaches that the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit are all fully God. They are all distinct from one another, yet the Bible still teaches that there is only One God.

One God - three persons; sure sounds like the Trinity to me.

Land_Sharkz forfeited this round.

All points still stand, Pro hasn't even responded to anything I have said.

The Bible teaches that the Father is God. (Mark 14:36 and John 6:27)
The Bible teaches that the Son is God. (John 1:1)
The Bible teaches that the Holy Spirit is God. (Acts 5:3-4 and Hebrews 9:14)

The Bible also teaches that there is only One God. (Mark 12:29)
The Bible teaches that all 3 of the Divine persons make up the One God. (Matthew 28:19)

So do the math...The Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God, yet there is only One God, which means that all 3 persons make up the One being who is God. A plurality within oneness. Sure sounds like the Bible teaches the Trinity.

The only ones who are forced to deny the Biblical evidence for the Trinity do so because their theology doesn't allow it, or just can't stand the fact that the Bible teaches a doctrine believed by Christians.

Land_Sharkz forfeited this round.

Well, I have proved my case...I used the Bible to establish that the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit are all full Divine yet distinct persons. The One God exists as 3 persons - plurailty within oneness. Sure sounds like the BIBLICAL doctrine of the trinity to me.

With that said, let me provide you with quotes of some of the earliest Christian writings outside the NT text, namely from Ignatius of Antioch and Polycarp; both of whom were pupils of John the Apostle, which means they passed on to us what they were taught by the Apostles concerning Jesus Christ, and here is what they said about him:

Ignatius of Antioch (35 AD - 107 AD)

"There is one Physician who is possessed both of flesh and spirit; both made and not made; God existing in flesh; true life in death; both of Mary and of God; first passible and then impassible, even Jesus Christ our Lord." (Ignatius' Epistle to the Ephesians, ch. 7)

"Look for Him who is above all time, eternal and invisible, yet who became visible for our sakes; impalpable and impassible, yet who became passible on our account; and who in every kind of way suffered for our sakes." (Ignatius' Epistle to Polycarp, ch. 3)

"In Christ Jesus our Lord, by whom and with whom be glory and power to the Father with the Holy Spirit for ever" (Alexander Roberts and James Donaldson, eds., The ante-Nicene Fathers, Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1975 rpt., Vol. 1, p. 52, Ephesians 7.)

Polycarp (69 AD -155 AD)

"Now may the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the eternal High Priest himself, the Son of God Jesus Christ, build you up in faith and truth and in all gentleness and in all freedom from anger and forbearance and steadfastness and patient endurance and purity, and may he give to you a share and a place among his saints, and to us with you, and to all those under heaven who will yet believe in our Lord Jesus Christ and in his Father who raised him from the dead." (Polycarp's Epistle to the Philippians, ch. 12)

The Deity of Christ or the Trinity wasn't invented at the Council of Nicea as some people falsely claim.

Praise be to God the Father who has saved us through the Eternal Son Jesus Christ and redeemed us by the power of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Posted by Julia5678 10 months ago
Hey ignorant ex-Muslim, I have talked to many priests on Instagram about how Christianity was influenced by Paganism. None of them could argue with me. None of them said the nonsense things which you sent me. One of the nuns I was talking to admitted that the Bible is not reliable because the authors are unknown and cannotbe attributed to God. And the other priests just deleted my comments because they didn't want other Christians know this fact... I really feel pity for you...
Posted by HardRockHallelujah 10 months ago
The last verse I quoted was Mark 12:29 not Mark 13:29, my apologies.
Posted by Julia5678 10 months ago
"So give good tidings to My servants Who listen to speech and follow the best of it. Those are the ones Allah has guided, and those are people of understanding." (the Quran 39:17-18)
It is not important who is talking, we must look at what they are saying.
The truth is true even if a non-believer admit it.
The falsehood is false even if all satanist priests agree with it.
Posted by Julia5678 10 months ago
I agree with Tom Harpur about Pagainsm in Christianity. I have already told you. Those who deny Jesus existed know the truth about Christianity. They cannot believe in Jesus because they are sick of hearing about mythological pegan gods who were crucified and resurrected after three days. They think Jesus is a myth like Osiris, ISIS, Attis and others are.
So I love the non-believers who speak the truth about peganism in Christianity. Because they are wise enough not to believe in falsehood and illogical verses of the corrupted Bible.
To my mind, the wise men who do not believe in the Jesus of the Bible are superior to the ignorant Christians who are blindfolded. However, according to the Quran, such Christians are non-believers too.
Oy the evil priests and Christian scholars who conceal the truth twist lies to claim that Jesus was crucified and resurrected. Everything about Christianity proves that it was influenced by Pegan beliefs after departure of Jesus.
Posted by hldemi 11 months ago
God is none person.
Posted by Beautrix 11 months ago
GOD IS ONE IN THREE PERSONS. The doctrine of the Trinity " that God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are each equally and eternally the one true God. Both Old and New Testaments teach the Unity and the Trinity of the Godhead.

The teaching of the Bible concerning the Trinity might be summarized thus. God is a Tri-unity, with each Person of the Godhead equally and fully and eternally God. Each is necessary, and each is distinct, and yet all are one. The three Persons appear in a logical, causal order. The Father is the unseen, omnipresent Source of all being, revealed in and by the Son, experienced in and by the Holy Spirit.

Father, Jesus and Holy Spirit is One, but in different persons. God is omnipotent; He can be anything.
Posted by HardRockHallelujah 11 months ago
I made a typo:

I hate to say this, but to say that God is only one person is to go against the clear testimony of the Bible.

I forgot to put the "go" before against in the 1st round.
Posted by FPSKorea1 11 months ago
By three God, I guess that you're talking to people who thinks the Holy Spirit, the Holy Word, and the Creator is all three different God. I agree with you. God is all, God is one.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 10 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff many times, so conduct to Con.