mightbenihilism
Godisreal21

God prefers Supter Nintendo to Sega Genesis

mightbenihilism

Con

My contention: even though Super Nintendo is the superior system, God prefers Sega Genesis. Pro must show why God prefers Super Nintendo. No "God doesn't play or have any preferences for discontinued consoles!" arguments.

First round is for acceptance only.
Godisreal21

Pro

God loves everything
mightbenihilism

Con

Uh-oh. I looked over some Pro's other debates and I think we're in for brief little opinion pieces and all-cap declarations, rather than true Biblical exegesis. I could be wrong. Prove me wrong, Pro.

To start with, the Pro says "God loves everything". This may sound good on the Oprah Winfrey show, but it has no Biblical support:

"These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, an heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, a false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren." (Proverbs 6:16-19, KJV)

So God clearly doesn't love "everything". Hopefully this was just Pro's way of accepting the debate, and won't be used as an actual argument.

Note that I clearly stated in the terms of this debate that "God doesn't play or have any preferences"-type of arguments are not allowed, and "Pro must show why God prefers Super Nintendo". To argue that God loves Sega and SNES equally is roughly the same as saying he doesn't have a preference. Not what I had in mind!

Now, why God prefers Genesis:

There are two minor pieces of supporting evidence for this contention:

1. Sega Genesis is named after a book in the Bible, obviously giving a thumbs up to God. The only other system which has this distinction is the ill-fated Atari "Ecclesiasticus", and the book of Ecclesiasticus is a Deutero-Canonical book and not even accepted by all Christians.

2. The mascot of the Sega Genesis is Sonic the Hedgehog. According to the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, a hedgehog in Hebrew is called a "qipoddh" and is mentioned in Isaiah 14:23 and Isaiah 34:11.

http://biblehub.com...

Here are the references:

"And I'm going to make it a possession of the hedgehog"pools of water"and I'll sweep with the broom of destruction," declares the LORD of the Heavenly Armies. - Isaiah 14:23
But hawks and hedgehogs will possess it; owls and ravens will nest in it. God will stretch out over it a measuring line, and chaos, and plumb lines of emptiness, and its nobles. - Isaiah 34:11 (ISVersion)

Therefore, it is clear God is going to give land to hedgehogs, of which Sonic is part of the species. At the very least, this shows that God has some fondness for hedgehogs, and we can reasonably suspect that this fondness carries over into console mascots.

But that isn't the real reason. It is just supporting evidence

Oh no --- the real reason is God's hatred for Italians.

Here are the facts:

The mascot for SNES and most Nintendo products is Mario Antonio Berlusconi Bonaducci IV: the most flagrant Italian stereo-type in all of history. The Roman empire, as you will note, was essentially an Italian Empire, and its inner core was composed predominantly of flagrant Italian stereo-types. True, it was multi-ethnic, but it began in Italy, had its capital in Italy, and many, if not most, of its Emperors were Italian stereo-types of Mario-esque proportions.

Now, if Jesus was God, it is undeniable that it was the Roman Empire that crucified Jesus. True, some of the Jews wanted the Romans to crucify Jesus, but there are not Jewish mascots --- or even Jewish characters --- in any game of either Sega or SNES, with the exception of Lucca in Chrono Trigger. This means that of all the ethnic groups in the world, only two had a hand in God's murder at all: Jews and Italians. And Jesus, himself being a Jew, is unlikely to hate Jews. However, hating Italians is quite another story. He compared Gentiles to dogs, for instance:

"And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil. But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us. But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me. But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs." (Matthew 15:22-26)

Mario, being a gentile, was a "dog" in the eyes of Jesus. And being of the same ethnic heritage which crucified Jesus puts him under double suspicion.

However, hedgehogs had NOTHING to do with Jesus's crucifixion whatsoever. Hedgedogs are not even biologically related to any of the offending parties, unless you believe the idiot Charles "Pewdiepie" Darwin --- on the contrary, hedgehogs are about as neutral as you can get when it comes to the crucifixion. Jesus HAS a reason to hate Italians like Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong and Kirby. He has NO reasons to hate a poor, innocent and lightning-fast hedgehog like Sonic.

Therefore, considering that:

A. God is going to grant land to hedgehogs, along with the owls
B. The Sega Genesis is named after a book in the Bible
C. Mario is demonstrably Italian and proud of it, ergo, proud of the Roman Empire, Mussolini, the Mafia, Robert DeNiro and Ravioli,
D. the Italians slaughtered Jesus

It is then more likely that God prefers the Sega Genesis so the SNES.

No doubt, one can argue that God doesn't care at all, as he's too busy counting dead sparrows and smashing universes into each other for fun, but IF there was any evidence at all which would steer him in one direction over the other, he would clearly be steered in favor of the Sega Genesis.

And I hope and pray the Pro has some actual Pro-Nintendo arguments, and not a bunch of garbage Hallmark Card slogans. We don't need that crud, Pro!
Godisreal21

Pro

Your right

I know god and he loves me
mightbenihilism

Con

mightbenihilism forfeited this round.
mightbenihilism

Con

mightbenihilism forfeited this round.
Godisreal21

Pro

Godisreal21 forfeited this round.
mightbenihilism

Con

mightbenihilism forfeited this round.
Godisreal21

Pro

Godisreal21 forfeited this round.
Posted by ShikenNuggets 2 years ago
ShikenNuggets
I don't think it's fair to say that God hates Italians. Just because they are from the same geographic area as the Roman Empire, who definitely played their part in Jesus' death, doesn't mean that he hates Italians. In fact, the Bible clearly states that God loves everyone equally and infinitely.

While I think some of Cons arguments are a bit unfair, Pro isn't doing a great job of keeping up the debate.
Posted by wampe 2 years ago
wampe
Having now read your debate round, I assumed the worst about your motives for being con and am pleased that I was wrong. I'm going to enjoy reading this debate, cheers!
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
No worries, wampe.

I debate for the fun of it. It is enjoyable to bend my mind in new directions. But, to ensure that, one has to guard against "wet-blanket" debate tactics, which are all too easy to find around here. So, yes, one could say "Pro has burden of proof that God loves Sega Genesis, but there is no historical evidence of such" --- that may be true, but it isn't very fun or challenging to argue on that basis. If one is looking to wrack up "wins", I understand it, but I don't really care about winning so much as exercising my mind in a debate, and maybe making some people laugh.

It would be more enjoyable, to my mind, for someone to try and dream up reasons why God would prefer SNES. But to do so, the default Pyrrhonist position of arm-chair debate over-lords must be guarded against, and that might require throwing out some of the traditional mores of DDO debate rules. Though I am sympathetic with the Chinese Legalist school of politics, I find Legalism stifling when it comes to discussion and dialogue --- as well as debate.
Posted by wampe 2 years ago
wampe
mightbenihilism, your right, that did come across as bossy, and I apologize for that. I'm not sure what you mean by reformed themselves but I'm not trying to convert anyone to a different way of thinking if that is what you mean. I guess I should ask in return how many people you have reformed attacking the person rather than the position. I think it is strange when people argue for a position from the con side. I suspect it has to do with burden of proof, but that is just my opinion. Good luck in the debate, should be interesting.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
Wampe, how many people have reformed themselves based on your bossy little comments? I'm curious.
Posted by wampe 2 years ago
wampe
If you think God prefers Sega over Nintendo make yourself pro on that argument. Otherwise it is disingenuous to expect pro to have the burdon of proof in this debate.
Posted by ShikenNuggets 2 years ago
ShikenNuggets
Well, either way, I'm interested to see where this goes.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
Well, it's not about "proving" so much as it is coming up with the most creative arguments and evidences, and effectively refuting the opponent.
Posted by ShikenNuggets 2 years ago
ShikenNuggets
I still can't wrap my head around the fact that you think you can prove this.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
I am sorry you are concerned. :(

Here is a video of a pug to ease your worries: