PowerPikachu21
Sandy_358

God probably does exist

Sandy_358 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

PowerPikachu21

Pro

I'm going to do another of these debates. But I decided I'll give myself a challenge by trying to prove thatGod does exist.

Definitions:

God; The supreme ruler of our universe, usually depicted as having infinite power

Exist; Having objective being within our universe

I'm looking forward to a challenge.
Sandy_358

Con

I accept this challenge. I do not believe in the existence of a God, however, I will try to keep an open mind. I will try to prove that a God doesn't exist. I wish you good luck, and may the best debater win!
PowerPikachu21

Pro

Thank you Sandy for joining this debate. Here are some arguments that show God exists.

Fine Tuning argument:

Think about it; how likely are we to be alive? We're the perfect distance away from a star that gives us heat and energy (the sun), and we happen to have water, and more than enough animals and plants to eat. And our atmosphere protects us from harmful UV rays and the like coming from the sun. God must've fine tuned everything and set up Earth and the sun in such a way that we're able to survive. So far, we haven't found any other planets able to sustain life, let alone any planets with life. So how lucky must we be to be here?

According to this site [http://www.reasons.org...], someone calculated the probability of Earth sustaining life, which is 1/10^282. Now that is incredibly thin. I'll be finding 5 shiny pokemon before NASA finds life on any other planet, probably!

Ontlogical Argument:

P1) It is possible that a maximally great being (God) exists.
P2) If it is possible that a maximally great being exists, then a maximally great being exists in some possible world.
P3) If a maximally great being exists in some possible world, then it exists in every possible world.
P4) If a maximally great being exists in every possible world, then it exists in the actual world.
C1) Therefore, a maximally great being exists in the actual world.
C2) Therefore, a maximally great being exists.
C3) Therefore, God exists.

This argument flows quite well. If God can exist in some possible world, he must be able to exist in all possible worlds, since he must have maximum power, therefore able to exist in all possible worlds. Ergo, he must exist within this universe.

I'm out of arguments for now. I look forward to Sandy's arguments that show God doesn't exist.
Sandy_358

Con

Scientists have discovered habitable planets around our solar system. Among these possibly life-holding planets are Kelper 442b, Kapetyn b, Gleise 832 c, and many more. This means that Earth isn't the only perfect planet, so it is possible that "God" didn't design Earth any more specially than these planets. All of these planets have traces of water and/or moisture, bearable climates, and are likely able to sustain life. So, is it possible that habitual plants form naturally, and the Big Bang theory is possibly true? I believe so, because there are multiple habitual planets, and these are only the ones that have been discovered by scientists. Astronomers can only study planets within a certain range, so it is likely that there are planets that can sustain life or even possibly inhabited planets in other galaxies or that are too far to be discovered with our modern technology. If there are other inhabited or habitable planets, then its possible that Earth was formed by a natural process (The Big Bang) and not by a higher power. (God)

http://www.npr.org...
PowerPikachu21

Pro

I thank Sandy for being able to enter their argument. I look forward to trying to think past it.

Rebuttal:

According to Con's source, the 7 planets are the right distance from their suns. But for there to be life, they need atmosphere so the life doesn't die from harmful radiation from the sun. Water is also a big requirement, and none of these planets have been shown to contain water.

Like my source said, a 1/10^282 chance of life on Earth. The chance of finding a shiny pokemon in Gen 7 is 1/4096, way more common of a chance than finding life on another planet. I'm not referring to a planet that might have life, but a planet that does have life.

Argument:

The Ontological argument has been dropped (ignored) by Con. If God is able to exist in some possible world, he's able to exist in all worlds, since he's that powerful.

My Fine Tuning argument still stands. The chances are incredibly slim for life. God must've had some divine intervention to make us.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 1 year ago
PowerPikachu21
Ontological argument assumes God has an immense amount of power, therefore he exists in all possible worlds. Does Santa have even any magic? I mean, he needs 9 reindeer to carry his presents. God would already have the presents there if he wanted to, if God did create the universe.
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
Well ..it is "The Santa" argument you are using...If.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 1 year ago
PowerPikachu21
@canis That was never my argument. That's probably the most obvious straw-man I've ever seen in debate history.
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
Santa probably does exist..If you think hard enought...
Posted by Sandy_358 1 year ago
Sandy_358
@PowerPikachu21
Sorry, my laptop was glitching a bit, so whenever I typed, it deleted everything I had previously typed. It was pretty annoying, so I had to restart my computer. Luckily, I got it to work. Sorry for taking so long.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 1 year ago
PowerPikachu21
Sandy_358, if you need to, you can pass the 2nd round so I can give you more time to research.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 1 year ago
PowerPikachu21
Are you going to post, Sandy? The Burden of Proof is on me, since I'm making the claim that God does exist.
Posted by MakeDebatingGreatAgain 1 year ago
MakeDebatingGreatAgain
possible worlds are not real worlds, that can be proven to exist like the actual world