Skynet
Keith6544

God was justified in exterminating the Amalekites.

Skynet

Skynet

Pro

Amalekites:
An ancient tribe that occupied some of the Sinai peninsula and up into Canaan South of Gaza. (Approximately)

God:
Living God of the Bible.

Justified:
With good cause, appropriate measure. In line with moral and legal law.

Extermination:
Executed by King Saul as described in 1 Samuel chapter 15.

For this debate, you don't have to believe the events occurred, but you must argue about the justification of the events, not the existence of the events. If you want to have the debate that X event in the Bible didn't occur, we can do that in a separate debate.
Keith6544

Con

Hi this is my first time debating here so apologies if I get things wrong or don't present my arguments well.. I'd like to start by saying I'm an athiest and one of my beliefs, relevant to this argument is that all humans are equal and deserve life. I'd also like to say I entered into this debate with no knowledge of the amalekites or what they had done to justify their extermination but I will start doing my research.

However on the belief that all humans are equal and have an equal right to survive and thrive I'll try my best to argue against the justification of their extermination.
I'll wait to hear the arguments from pro before I properly engage in the debate and use the next rounds to throw my own arguments in defence of these people into the debate.
Skynet

Pro

Thanks for accepting Keith6544, and welcome to DDO. I'm not a stickler for form, so don't worry about that from me. I would have advised you to look up the subject before accepting though.

Why Amalek deserved to be destroyed:
Amalek was apparently not a descendant of Canaan, but did dwell near them. In Genesis 15:18-21 God promises Abraham the land of the Canaanites, and lists the tribes to be displaced. Amalek is not among them, nor is Amalek mentioned in the genealogy of Canaan in Genesis 10. The Amelikites were under no particular curse like Canaan was from Genesis 9:20. Edom, Moab, and Ammon were closely related to Israel, so God specifically forbid Israel from attacking them (Deuteronomy 2). Since no order was given to attack Amalek, but only to pass by their territory, the Amelikites would have been safe if they had ignored the large group of escaped slaves passing through a desert region outside their borders. (They had not even reached Mt. Sinai yet.) But Amalek chose to attack. There was no evidence at this point that the Hebrews themselves would have presented any kind of a serious threat to Amalek, but they were the very first nation to attack Israel once they crossed the Red Sea. (Exodus 17) Not only that, but Amalek was an ancient, established regional power that stood tall along side its Canaanite neighbors (Numbers 24:20, Genesis 14:7, which was 400+ years earlier than the Exodus) that should have easily annihilated and plundered a group of oppressed refugees.

So Amalek was cruel and violent, attempting to destroy and plunder refugees without provocation. To add to that, they allied themselves with the Canaanites, who regularly participated in infant child sacrifice to fertility idols(1), and treated their captives to cruel and unusual humiliation.(2)
1) http://christ.org.tw...
2) Judges 1:1-7

I do agree that all humans have equal right to survive, but with people who steal, it's only just to demand restitution. To people who take other's freedoms, we take their freedoms. And traditionally, life was held in such high regard that those who dare to take life without just cause would pay with their own lives. If Amalek had left Israel alone, they would have been left alone. That's why they deserved to be destroyed.
Keith6544

Con

Keith6544 forfeited this round.
Skynet

Pro

Too bad. Con, you're up.
Keith6544

Con

Keith6544 forfeited this round.
Posted by TheRealGod 1 year ago
TheRealGod
I didn't exterminate anyone, stop using my name to make excuses for your evil actions. I should not have accidentally exterminate the dinosaurs.
Posted by Skynet 1 year ago
Skynet
The timer is stuck. My opponent FF the last round, and it says "Our system has not yet updated this debate. Please check back in a few minutes for more options." I have no option to continue.
Posted by Peepette 1 year ago
Peepette
If this were a debate on the Biblical version of events against historical academic versions, I'd have interest in such a debate.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
SkynetKeith6544Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con ff many times, so conduct to Pro.
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Midnight1131
SkynetKeith6544Tied