wildtiger236
reasonablereason

God

wildtiger236

wildtiger236

Pro

Most modern scholars believe there was a Big Bang that created the universe. Most of the universe was created in 3 minutes. What could possibly set off this phenomenon? Gravity, density?... God. In Genesis 1:1 it is said that God created the heavens and earth. What explanation other than an omnipotent being that created the universe could exist?Who could possibly argue? Stephen Hawking said that because there is a law such as gravity the universe can and will create itself... This is not true, Hawking's argument basically states that the universe created itself because it needed to. Or maybe the universe WAS created for a purpose...by God. Also, if atheist are right, and God isn't real, the there is no purpose for anything. Look around you.... Does this seem to have no purpose? Or does it seem to be part of one big plan? Ok, we've already established that the universe can't create itself, so we move on to the idea that God created it. Richard Dawes states "if you tell me God created the universe, who created God?" God has no creator, he is THE CREATOR. Moving on to moral absolutes. Saying that God doesn't exist is saying there is no reason to be good. Why be good when there's no heaven or hell? They say America is the perfect country, while I don't think that is true, why don't we see what our foundation is built on? Our founders were 98% Christian, and that had to have influenced our country at least a little. If it was based off of Atheism, why go to jail or even be executed for a murder. Murder is supposedly the highest punishment there is right? With Atheists it wouldn't be, because if they don't go to hell it's kind of a vacation from a sinful world that's crumbling apart. Now onto scientific facts. They know the earth is billions of years old and the universe is older. Instead of sticking to my 6,000 year theory like a stubborn pig and saying that science is wrong, why not go with it? So the earth is billions of years old, that doesn't change a thing. From the time Adam and Eve were supposedly created to now is supposed to be 6,000 years. I don't believe in this. Could Adam and Eve not have been a metaphor for God creating life in general? If you think you can disprove Christainity or say that we can't prove it, I say you can't disprove it. By the way, I'm only 12 years old.
reasonablereason

Con

It is very easy to disprove God, but I think that you are too young to understand. Classic argument against God :
1. Look closely at any tree.
2. Trees are called trees, because they are the Holy "Tree"-nity.
3. Trees are not eternal, omniscient, etc.
4. God is not eternal, omniscient, etc.
5. There is no Christian God.
wildtiger236

Pro

While you are correct, trees are not directly related to God, they are a creation of God. Would you expect us to be all-knowing or eternal. If something was named after you should it be extremely reasonable? God Is the only omnipotent, omniscient, eternal being. I'm not sure that I completely understand, but I think I got the gist.
reasonablereason

Con

You did not look at trees closely enough. Trees are not just trees, they are the Holy "Tree"-nity. You need to understand that.
wildtiger236

Pro

Sorry, still don't think I get it, but I'm trying. I'm not super smart and I just wanted to do something to kill free time. I'm sorry for not understanding, but do you mean the Holy Trinity? What are you talking about I asked an adult and they didn't understand my question. Can you explain what you mean? That being said, since this is my last turn I am going to make the most of it. Most common things that supposedly disprove the existence of God:
1. The Bible is incorrect - so God is not infallible - so there is no God
The bible is incorrect, yes and by saying that God wrote the bible is wrong. The bible is the stories of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The old testament focuses more on parables and short moral lessons. The bible isn't the work of God, it is the work of man. Also the bible was written thousands of years ago, so it is expected to have changed a little. This is not saying the bible has no truth in it, but rather partial or half. Like when God split the sea, so Moses could lead his people to safety from the army pursuing them. Then when they were crossing, God drowned them. Guess what they are finding now? Chariot wheels and skeletons.
2. If God does exist, why is there evil?
God did not create evil, it is the absence of good. People let evil seep into their lives when they are mad or upset. God could destroy evil with a snap of his fingers. He's letting there be evil in the world as a test. You can't be going to heaven or hell without being tested. And you can't expect a young boy that just lost a parent to not be mad at the world or God. If he keeps his faith strong then he will emerge stronger. This is why some of the most devoted Atheists were once Christians. I know what it means to be broken down, in the past year I have lost a great-uncle, my friend's mom has breast cancer, my dad and grandmother have been at odds for over a year, my step-dad works hours away, it is my second year at a new school, had a 3 month premature sister, and to top it off I'm Asian with the last name Rice. Through all of this I have not been close to God, but I believe he has been helping me. Also, the most devoted priests or holy men lost a loved one and found God. God keeps evil because he hopes to one day eradicate it.
3. Pascal's Wager
The idea that believing in God is a safe bet and you have nothing to lose. This is not true, because God knows all and if that is your only reason for worshipping you're not a devoted Christian. I know plenty of "faker Christians", and I don't like them. This is the wrong reason for believing. Also he doesn't indicate what religion to believe in. Why not believe in all of them? Then you won't go to any of their heavens, or paradises, or Valhalla.
4. What if another religion is right?
This one is just plain faith. I have researched for hours about various religions, because I have parents that believe I should choose. I chose Christianity. So, what if? Well, I guess that's too bad for me. I respect other religions, my grandparents are Buddhist, but I don't tell them they are wrong. You know why? Because I DON'T KNOW. If I was a Sunday School Teacher, I would teach the gospel of I'M NOT SURE. Because I'm not. I'm not going to pretend I have all the answer when I don't. NO ONE DOES. Hey Atheists out there, who created the universe? You're probably going to say the Big Bang did. Who made the Big Bang happen? we've already established that it's not gravity. So, what? It all comes to one answer... God
5. God is simple
People say Christians believe in God because it's easy. No, there's tons of things to believe in. If anything Atheism is the easy answer. It has all the facts and numbers. When has anything ever been easy? Believing in God is hard, rather than easy. How hard do you think this is? A 12 year old arguing a educated adult. I'm making a fool of myself in front of other people. I've been researching for hours, and I'm probably still going to lose, but I'm going to lose doing what I believe in.
6. Indulgences and purgatory
I don't like what the Catholic Church did either, but that is behind us now. I don't think they did what was right, even though they were supposedly justified by God.
7. God is not necessary
People say God is not necessary, because we have science to explain things we thought were made by God. Things like crop failures, thunderstorms, droughts, etc. If you say that God is not necessary, then we are not necessary. Why be here if there is no God. God may not be necessary, but I think he influence our everyday lives. He could kill anyone instantly, but he doesn't. Think of all the good he inspires... Is that necessary? Feeding the homeless, offering shelter in his churches, giving His word to all.
8. God is irrational
Science explains all...no. It doesn't. How could something be so perfectly designed that it could inhabit this Earth? Who designed my brain, our human figure, flowers, even a blade of grass? God. You can say that we adapt, but that takes millions of years. If the universe's age was represented in a day (24 hour period), most of life was created in a 90 minute span.
9. Cosmological Argument
Every finite and contingent being has a cause. Even the universe is finite and contingent. So it has a purpose...what? That's where we and God come in. To say there's no God is to say there is no purpose for anything.

It is an hour and 15 minutes past my bedtime and although it is a weekend, I need to go to bed. I rest my case and hope I win, but I wish the best of luck to my opponent reasonablereason. Again, sorry for not understanding you, I just need to be a little more familiar with what you mean.
reasonablereason

Con

It is not hard to understand, just look at trees more. Most of the arguments you wrote are just straw mans, so i'm going to ignore them. You definitely need to learn more about trees, because they are very important.
Posted by kevin24018 1 year ago
kevin24018
matter can neither be created nor distroyed
http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
no big bang, couldn't have happened according to the law of matter.
Posted by XVIII18 1 year ago
XVIII18
Well I know one thing, God is only mentioned once in the Declaration of Independence and it is in reference to "nature's God", this can be seen as a different God than the one you are describing. There is no mention of God in the ENTIRE constitution of the United States. Thomas Jefferson created his own religion while Benjamin Franklin enjoyed a good amount of things that would definitely be considered "sinful". EVEN the term " Under God" was placed on money almost 100 years after the Declaration of Independence. The idea that God was so influential on the founding fathers is most definitely not entirely true. Most of the God statements come from around during the Civil War era where religious sentiments were very heightened due to numerous other factors.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
wildtiger236reasonablereasonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con never really developed an argument.