God's name is Jehovah not Yahweh

I am looking to debate with a professing Christian the name of God based on the Hebrew scriptures. My opponent does not have to prove that God's name is Yahweh, but he/she does have to provide evidence against the argument that God's name is indeed Jehovah. Evidence outside of the Hebrew scriptures may be used, but the scriptures "should" be our final authority.

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Opening Arguments
Round 3: Rebuttals/ Closing Arguments

Alright, so Yahweh is NOT Jehovah? Is that what you are really saying? First off, I am a creationist as well, I believe in the God of Jacob, and that Jesus Christ is Lord and died for my sins. That is my belief. I am a Christian, and I am strictly NON denominational. I believe that you are wrong because in the scriptures God is called Yahweh and Jehovah, the SAME God, is called by both names. I believe He is called many names because He is so many things. Yahweh means "I am", in the best translation that can be found for it. The meaning of Jehovah is "The Lord who provides". These are the best translations of these names, and I believe that He is the same God of both of them.

Greetings fellow brother in Christ.

You say, "I believe that you are wrong because in the scriptures God is called Yahweh and Jehovah, the SAME God, is called by both names." Where in the scriptures is God called Yahweh? What scriptures?

You say, "Yahweh means 'I am,' in the best translation that can be found for it." God's name has no meaning apart from that which can be attributed to it from the revelation of who He is in His written, preserved word. When God says to Moses, "I Am that I Am," the Hebrew word is not Yahweh but is "ehyeh asher ehyeh." I think what you are saying is that the God of the Bible who's name you suppose includes Yahweh is the "I Am." But I am contending that Yahweh is not God's name; His name is Jehovah.

You say, "The meaning of Jehovah is 'The Lord who provides.'" This is not correct. Again, God's name has no meaning apart from what the scriptures reveal about Him; Jehovah has no Hebrew meaning itself. You are thinking of Jehovah-Jireh, which means "Jehovah sees" or "the LORD sees" which demonstrates His provision. But "Jireh" is what denotes provision, not the name "Jehovah" itself.

You say, ". . .I believe that He is the same God of both of them." My argument is that God's name is Jehovah not Yahweh or anything else. So let me provide some facts to support my position. God has many descriptive titles such as Lord, God, Creator, Savior, etc., but He revealed His unique name in His word. The first name God gives in Genesis 1 is Elohim (God). The second name He gives in Genesis 2 is Jehovah. Whenever LORD is written (or GOD) in all caps, this denotes that in the Hebrew text, the name Jehovah is used. The Masoretes, from which we get the Masoretic text, had a tradition of saying "LORD" in place of God's name which they denoted in their text. The King James translators followed this except where His name was used explicitly such as Exodus 6:3. His name is written out where used with a transliterated conjugate such as in Genesis 22:14, Exodus 17:15, and Judges 6:24, as well as when it necessitates transliteration such as Psalm 83:18, Isaiah 12:2, and Isaiah 26:4. In total it can be found transliterated 7 times in the KJV.

If we look at the Hebrew Masoretic text, we find that God's name is יְהֹוָה which when every consonant and vowel is transliterated (reading from right to left) is: Yod-Sheva-Heh-Holem-Vav-Kammatz-Heh; that is, Y-e-H-o-V-a-H. Following Hebrew grammar rules, Sheva is to be translated as "e," Holem is "o" and Kammatz is "a." There are no two ways about it, this is God's name. I challenge you to provide evidence, scriptural or otherwise, which says God's name is not Jehovah or that Yahweh is God's name. Yahweh cannot be the transliteration of יְהֹוָה; as Vav is "v" not "w," there is no true "w" in Hebrew. Also consider the vowels, even if you wanted to argue that Sheva could be "a," where is Holem ("o") in Yahweh? And where does the "e" in Yahweh come from? Kammatz (sometimes spelled Qamets) is always "a." Jehovah is the correct transliteration of יְהֹוָה not Yahweh.

TreyvenOliver forfeited this round.

The "J" in Jehovah is simply due to the standardization of the English language. In Latin it is "Iehovah" and in English it was first "Yehovah" but then became "Jehovah," but in all cases it's pronounced the same, much like Jehovah in Spanish is "Jehova" and is prounounced "Yeh-o-vah." To say the "J" is unwarranted is to say the name "Jesus" is also wrong as His name in Hebrew is "Yehoshua." In Greek Jesus is "Iesus" (ee-e-soos). So whether we spell Jehovah as "Yehovah," "Iehovah" or "Jehovah" it is still the same name and is still pronounced the same. Of course today we pronounce "J" differently but this does not change His name. But "Yahweh" is a totally different name (yah-weh) compared to "Jehovah" (Jeh-o-vah). "Yahweh" is disyllabic whereas "Jehovah" is trisyllabic. There is a story that says the vowels in "Jehovah" were added by the Masorets using "Elohim" and "Adonai." This is a myth without evidence. The conjecture is that the "e," "o" and "a" come from these two words; where is the "i?" Also, changing the name of God by adding vowels would be in violation of Deuteronomy 4:2; 12:32 and Proverbs 30:6. True Bible believers have always known the name of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the God of Moses, David and the prophets; it is Jehovah!

"That men may know that thou, whose name alone is Jehovah, art the most high over all the earth." (Psalm 83:18)

TreyvenOliver forfeited this round.
Posted by Mhykiel 2 years ago
Jehovah. Wow that is such a big claim.
Posted by ArcTImes 2 years ago
It is possible to debate against a claim. The burden of proofs is on who claims. So basically i would challenge your arguments instead of trying to give my own.

But I understand the type of discussion you want and I respect it. That's the reason I'm not accepting the challenge.
Posted by creationtruth 2 years ago
@ArcTimes - Then why would you care about the name of God as revealed in the Hebrew scriptures?
Posted by ArcTImes 2 years ago
dayum, i'm not Christian.
Vote Placed by Mhykiel 2 years ago