Golf is a sport

Started: 7/19/2013 Category: Sports

Hello this is a debate about golf.
Some people on DDO think that golf is not a sport.
I believe that statement is false.
So I will be challenging someone to a debate about this topic.

3 rounds
The voting period is 6 months.
You get 72 hours to argue
Up to 8000 characters.
The First round shall be only acceptance.
The second round, own arguments.
and third round, countering the opponent.
Good luck and remember, PLEASE HAVE FUN!

I accept your argument.
I say golf is not a sport.

First, I would like to thank Con for making this debate happen.

Now, what is a sport? and what is golf?
Golf, is a "game in which a player using special clubs attempts to sink a ball with as few strokes as possible into each of the 9 or 18." [1]
Sport, is a "physical activity engaged in for pleasure: a particular activity (as an athletic game)." [2]

Looking at the definition of sport, provided by Merrian-Webster, Golf fits the definition of the word "sport."

Lastly, Sports require coordinated muscle use, and the golf swing uses at least 17 muscle groups in the coordinated movement of the hands, wrists, arms, abdomen, and legs. [3]

Thank you and good luck

[1] Merrian-Webster
[2] Meriian-Webster
[3] British Medical Journal

For my point, I look at the definition of sport:
An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
You have yours but this one is also correct so I will use this one from Google Dictionary.
Exertion refers to vigorous activity which golfing is not.
Your definition calls golf a game, not a sport.
And based upon my definition of sport, (which is also correct) golf is not a sport. This is stated by both you and I.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to make this debate happen.

I would like to start off by asking a question to Con.
If you think Golf isn't a sport, then why do sports agents, manufacturers, and sponsors consider golf to be a sport?

Second, Golf is now returning to the Summer Olympics in 2016 and if golf wasn't a sport, it wouldn't be in the Olympics.

While playing golf, you burn about 800 calories for every nine holes you play.

thanks and please remember to vote Pro!

People can consider anything but that doesn't make it right.
For example, many people consider Great Britain to be a country when it isn't and some people consider the UK to be a country when it's really 3 and a half countries. Just because something is considered a certain way doesn't make it so.

Just because it's in the Olympics doesn't mean it's a sport. They have concerts at the Olympics and they aren't sports. They are side attractions and that's all golf will be.

Burning 800 calories doesn't make it a sport. You would burn 800 calories for sleeping for 9 days. Does that mean that sleeping for 9 days is a sport because you burn 800 calories?

Now that I am done refuting, here is my argument. Please address each of these points in your next argument otherwise these points will all stand.

Golf better matches the defintion of a game than a sport. Merriam-Webster defines a game as an 'activity engaged in for diversion or amusement.'
Think about John Daly. If it can be done while drinking and smoking, then it is not a sport. Golf is not a sport. It is a skill. It's not a sport if you don't move.
It isn't a sport if it can be played by a golfer with a broken leg (Tiger Woods in he 2008 U.S. Open).
Mike Freeman, National Columnist at, stated the following in his July 20, 2009 article titled "Old-man Watson Proves Golf Is Far from Legitimate Sport," published on
"Golf isn't a sport. The amount of athleticism required to play golf is about the same as it is to be a good bowler.
How else do you explain that a man who is nearly 60 [Tom Watson] came extremely close to winning a golf major?
This story might be inspirational but for the sport of golf it should also be mortifying. Actually, it's a tad embarrassing.
What does it say about a sport when it takes a playoff round to finally beat Watson despite Watson's age?
It says golf isn't a sport, that's what it says...
There are no 59-year-old running backs, outfielders or point guards because the level of athleticism is so extreme in those sports that if someone Watson's age tried to play them they'd get broken into tiny pieces...
The athleticism required to play golf is so minimal, it's negligible."
Dave Hollander, JD, author and sports columnist, stated the following in his May 12, 2008 article titled "Is Golf A Sport? Seriously.," published on the Huffington Post website:
"Golf does not even rise to the level of 'a good walk spoiled' [quote attributed t Mark Twain] because the primary action of walking is not required. So says PGA Tour v. Martin (2001) where the Supreme Court ordered the PGA to allow disabled golfer Casey Martin to use a golf cart in between holes rather than walk... How can you call something a sport where being ambulatory is not a basic minimum physical requirement?
Think of the mythological gods and heroes who personified the highest physical virtues: Hermes (speed), Hercules (strength), Aphrodite (stamina). There's got to be at least some running to call it a sport. I'd prefer some contact, too. But "no walking required"? You call that a sport?
Just because it's difficult doesn't mean it's a sport. Computer programming and brain surgery are difficult. They are not sports. Just because you compete doesn't make it a sport either. Pretzel vendors compete. Art galleries compete. Hell, a spelling bee is a competition. Golf is recreation--something to pass the time. It is no more a sport than marbles or cat's cradle.
That takes me to my final point: Golf is boring. You want to get a nap in on Sunday afternoon? Turn on golf. Looking for that TV show to help the kids get some shut-eye? Turn on golf. Do you want to see the least amount of physical prowess combined with the greatest dearth of raw emotion? Turn on golf.
Posted by PhantomZyrus 3 years ago
Yes, there is.
Because sport is in the title.
Posted by kobebeef 3 years ago
there's a reason why this debate is in the sports category
Posted by donald.keller 3 years ago
I do not believe anyone thinks Golf isn't a sport.
Posted by DebaterAgent 3 years ago
I will be posting the definition of sport and golf in round 2
Vote Placed by bsh1 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con's final speech clinched it. I like how Con turned Pro's definition of golf as a "game" against Pro, and how Con illustrated that just because one considers something a sport, that doesn't make it true.