DebateandTheory
skfothree

Golf is harder than basketball.

Started: 3/4/2014 Category: Sports

DebateandTheory

Pro

This is a debate in which I will try to prove that golf is a harder sport to play than basketball. I will allow the con to present their argument first!
skfothree

Con

First of all, I would like to define "hard" in this context with the Merriam Webster definition for "difficult". It is defined as "not easy: requiring much work or skill to do or make." If my opponent will consent to that definition then we can continue smoothly. If not, let me know in your next argument and I will adjust accordingly.
From that definition I pull two main points: work and skill. First, I will address the work aspect of the sports. Golf is a leisurely sport that old men can effectively play at the country club to get away from the drawl of everyday life at the office or any other line of work. They transport themselves using carts, have other people carry their equipment for them, and wear relatively formal clothes. The bottom line is that golf is a game for relaxation. On the other hand, basketball is a sport that requires the players to be tall, muscular, and have good endurance. Almost all effective and in-game movement is running and clothing is minimal because of all of the sweat produced by the heavy tolls the sport takes of the body. I think that it is fairly clear that basketball is the more physically demanding of the sports and therefore demands harder work to succeed than Golf does.

Now to clear up the skill aspect. Golf is a sport of precision and control of the body, but so is Basketball, with many more elements on top of that. Albeit I don't have any experience in Golf, I respect the fact that the hole is very small, the course is very narrow, and the ball is very small. However much precision one much have to succeed in Golf, one must have at least close to as much to play Basketball. Excluding (for this point) the fact that there are opposing players on the court, the act of shooting alone takes great precision. The hoop is about the size of the ball, so the ball must land almost perfectly centered in the middle of the rim to go in, no easy task to start with. Then you add in a player standing in your way, trying to block the shot. This adds in the elements of timing and impulse. Golfers have no opposing force trying to block or deflect their shot or harm their performance in any way. They can think long and hard about the angle of their shot, how hard they will hit it, etc. A shooter in basketball needs to worry about distance, angle, and if the ball will come flying back at their face, all in a split second while they reach up and fling the ball.

Not only does Basketball require precision to match the skill set of Golf, but it also requires dexterity and strength. In Golf, players are out on the course with no one trying to hinder their performance in any way. They can think about what they are going to do and then shoot. Although the physical act of shooting the ball up and into the hoop may seem an easy task (however it is not), there is at least one defender guarding you, doing all he can to prevent you from getting anywhere close to making the shot. Also, you have to bounce the ball while you move, repeatedly giving the defender opportunities to steal the ball. If the defender makes you stop dribbling, you have to pass the ball to team mates that also have opponents on them doing everything they can to block the pass. Dribbling requires the player to have maximum body control while trying to run through multiple people who are trying to knock the ball away, all while trying to keep your head up.

This is my first argument here so I apologize for any courtesy mistakes or anything. I can't wait to see your argument!

"difficult" definition- http://www.merriam-webster.com...
Basketball terminology- http://www.firstbasesports.com...
DebateandTheory

Pro

DebateandTheory forfeited this round.
skfothree

Con

skfothree forfeited this round.
DebateandTheory

Pro

DebateandTheory forfeited this round.
skfothree

Con

skfothree forfeited this round.
DebateandTheory

Pro

DebateandTheory forfeited this round.
skfothree

Con

skfothree forfeited this round.