kenicks
Jlconservative

Golf is not a sport

Started: 1/19/2008 Category: Sports

kenicks

Pro

Just what is a sport? A sport is an activity or in some cases, a lifestyle, that requires a competitive drive, to be in top of your physical form, and to spend ample time studying your sport.

Basketball requires months of conditioning, hours studying and practicing plays, and the desire to work with your team to be the on top of all your competition. Football and baseball require the same type of training and necessities. Even individual sports such as Cross-Country running require the desire to win, the countless hours of training to be on top of your physical form, the studying of different terrains. I'll even let NASCAR get in there; it requires the skill of being able to drive at high speeds without crashing, studying different racetracks, and definetely has that competitive edge.

But golf? Come on. First of all, the only physical shape you need to be in is the ability to swing a golf club. Thats working a mere 2-3 muscles in your whole body. And you wont need to worry about walking all the way to your next spot after you hit that little white ball, because you've got your fancy golf cart to drive you there!

Golf lacks the competitive drive that other sports have. Sure, you're playing against 18+ other people to get the lowest score, but you only have knowledge of one other person's score; your partners. You dont know when to come in the clutch, when to step it up, when to "getcha head in the game". Come on, people.
Jlconservative

Con

First I will start with some definitions of "Sports"

Sport: is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors.

Sport: Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

Sport: An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

I believe that these definitions prove my case all of these were taken from the Webster dictionary, the fact is a sport is something is an activity that involves skills be it throwing a ball 40 yards,running 100 miles, or hitting a tiny ball 400 yards into a hole. A sport is a competition involving rules and guidelines, and were skill comes into play. I think that we can all agree Golf is a game of rules and skill therefore it is a sport.
kenicks

Pro

Jlconservative, I see your theory of backing up your belief that golf is a sport with a few snappy dictionary definitions, although, based on your username, I dont see your theory that i'm assuming you follow that "the free market will prevail".

Mind if i quote your closing statement? "I think that we can all agree Golf is a game of rules and skill therefore it is a sport." Ok, so therefore, all games and activities which have rules and skill are sports.

Take darts; this game requires the skill of throwing a pointed arrow up against a board (which i do enjoy very much), while following a set of rules: Dont throw 2 darts at once, only throw three per round, etc. Is this a sport?

Take poker; this game requires the skill of, in the words of the great Kenny Rogers, "knowing when to hold 'em and knowing when to fold 'em", the witty intellect of knowing how much to bet at what time, keeping a poker face, and knowledge of rules and regulations of the cards and table settings. Is this a sport?

Take checkers, take chess; these game also requires high intellect, planning out your next move, how to dethrone your opposition. Rules to follow are also present; where you can or cannot place your playing piece, whose turn goes in who's order, etc. Is this a sport?

Take Scrabble; the skill of word-building is present, one must have a knack for piecing the english language together. Rules: they must be legitimate words. Is this a sport?

Take Beer Pong; a game for the ages, in which one requires the skill of throwing a tiny plastic ball into a plastic cup filled with booze, the skill of being able to chug down incessant amounts of alcohol, the rules to be abided by of the proper conduct on defense, offense, shooting, rollbacking, recracking, etc. Is this a sport?

You see, Jlconservative, these, along with golf, are not classified as sports, but merely hobbies. One thing they do have in common, however, is that they burn the same amount of calories as golf.
Jlconservative

Con

Kenicks, I'm glad I finally get a debate against you. I have had a few nasty ones on this site mostly personal attacks because I am a conservative, mind if we just keep it clean and about Golf? we can debate about politics some other time.

First of all I want to say that every definition I can pull up on the internet and the two dictionaries I have here at the house all come up with the same definition, that a sport is something that has guidelines, and rules, and requires skill along with SOME physical extortion. It is my opinion Kenicks that your views on a sport is sort of arrogant ( no harm intended). I think that as Americans we get blinded on that a sport consists of body builders, or martial arts, or who can hit the hardest. However if we are going to characterize sports into these categories we must remember we are not the only country, if we try and remove golf from sporting we might as well remove Hunting, Fishing, Krokae, Polo,Archery,Marksmanship, even surfing the list can go on and on. These sporting competitions do not require much physical duress but they are a sport none the less. Now what you suggested chess, and poker, haha and beer pong would of course not be labeled as a sport. However Golfing that requires skill, and guidelines and rules, and SOME physical duress not nearly as much as tennis,football,or boxing but some fits the definition of a sport perfectly.
kenicks

Pro

Jlconservative, for future reference I have no harsh feelings towards your favoring of conserative government; just a light jab to keep you on your toes.

Before I tie up my argument i'd like to point out that when you stated, "...we might as well remove Hunting, Fishing, Krokae, Polo,Archery,Marksmanship, even surfing..." you made quite a noticeable spelling error. Please clarify with me in your response if you meant to reference the golf-like sport of "Croquet", rather than your spelling of "Krokae".

Yes, I do agree. If, golf is not a sport, then most of these "sports" should be removed from the list as well, which I believe they should. These "sports", much like golf, require little physical strain, training, or duress. Some of them even lack the concept of competition (fishing, hunting). What burns me up the most about this "sport" is how the media overhypes it. You can't turn on the TV without seeing an ad for the PGA Tour, the triumphs and tragedies of Tiger Woods, and the ridiculous amounts of money they earn by knocking a white ball into a hole.

I can tolerate (to a point) the "sports" you referenced being referred to as "sports" mainly because they are avoided by the media, for the purpose that some take these "sports" as low thrill, leading to little interest. What sickens me the most is that the media has allowed golf to stand out among these hobbies. And heaven forbid that the "gentleman's sport" of golf goes down in history, right in there with baseball, as a great American pastime. Golf is not a sport.
Jlconservative

Con

Kenicks, I thank you personally for the jab to keep me on my toes and the grammar error you so efficiently spotted out.

Look,this vendetta you have over golf and the sport is understandable, it does seem silly that while soldiers are risking life,teachers are over worked, and hard working single business owners are struggling to make it threw financially that people are getting paid millions to hit a white ball into a hole, and this can be said about any sport and that is perfectly understandable. However your debate topic was not that golfers get over paid, or that golfers should not make as much money as baseball players, the point you started was that Golf is not a sport when in fact it is. Again your vendetta against the sport is based purely on your opinion. I have personal experience that golf is a game of extreme skill, and mental duress with some physical extortion. The fact is Golf meets the criteria according to every definition of "sport" available. Therefore in the minds of myself and the common English language golf is and should be considered a sport.
Posted by Jlconservative 6 years ago
Jlconservative
sure thing, I will think about one and challenge you
Posted by Randomknowledge 6 years ago
Randomknowledge
Jlconservative, i think you are a great debater, and i wish for you to challenge me. Thank you. I cannot think of a good topic, or I would challenge you.

Thanks
Posted by Randomknowledge 6 years ago
Randomknowledge
Hello kenicks. Hello Jlconservative. I would love to debate either one of you, and if either of you were to challenge me, i am looking for someone to debate. thanks.
Posted by righty10294 6 years ago
righty10294
kenicks, I never saw this debate in the challenge period, and i disagree with you very bad, so challenge me to a debate.
Vote Placed by dura_to_the_max 5 years ago
dura_to_the_max
kenicksJlconservativeTied
Vote Placed by towinistosucced 6 years ago
towinistosucced
kenicksJlconservativeTied
Vote Placed by bonnie_boy_returns 6 years ago
bonnie_boy_returns
kenicksJlconservativeTied
Vote Placed by kenicks 6 years ago
kenicks
kenicksJlconservativeTied
Vote Placed by Pluto2493 6 years ago
Pluto2493
kenicksJlconservativeTied
Vote Placed by massvideogamer 6 years ago
massvideogamer
kenicksJlconservativeTied
Vote Placed by sdcharger 6 years ago
sdcharger
kenicksJlconservativeTied
Vote Placed by Loofa 6 years ago
Loofa
kenicksJlconservativeTied
Vote Placed by Johnicle 6 years ago
Johnicle
kenicksJlconservativeTied
Vote Placed by kibbles 6 years ago
kibbles
kenicksJlconservativeTied