mwheaton146
KB240o

Golf is the most mentally challenging sport and requires the most creativity and skill

KB240o
Started: 7/20/2013 Category: Sports

mwheaton146

Pro

Lets start with the mental aspect, golf is mentally draining. U have to constantly think about what will happen if u hit the ball too far or too short, or too much right or left. U have to be mentally strong to win and u have virtually no help. Only in golf do u have to hit between trees, off of twigs dirt, rocks, etc... U have to be able to create opportunity where it seems to be none. The skill aspect is is easily shown, the amount of skill it takes to battle the natural challenges, put together with bunkers and water hazards and anything else placed to make the course hard. Only in golf do you have to worry about if u hit the ball two yards too far, its in the bunker or water. Golf as a whole is just a demanding sport and requires the most mentally, skill wise and creativity.
KB240o

Con

I can name so many more sports that are so mentally challenging than golf. First off, is golf even a sport??
Webster's Dictionary defines the noun of "sport" as:
a : a source of diversion : recreation b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in
"A source of diversion" - meaning something that diverts your attention, distraction essentially. So by that definition basically anything you do can be defined as a sport. If I paint my toenails as a means to divert my attention from something else... that's a sport. If I masturbate a gibbon as a distraction I'm engaging in a sport. If I paint a gibbon's toenails after having masturbated him... it's a sport.
The second definition, "sexual play" refers to the use of "sport" as a synonym for sex which isn't really widely used anymore and doesn't apply to what we're talking about... although it may apply to the aforementioned gibbon.
The third definition "physical activity engaged in for pleasure" is likewise vague and could describe anything you physically do for enjoyment, and the fourth definition is essentially the same as well.... like jerking off the gibbon.
The Rose Center for Health and Sports Sciences in Denver attempted to argue that golf is indeed a sport because of the level of energy expended and the amount of calories burned (721 per round). Considering that an average golf round is 4 1/2 hours (according to Golf Digest) that translates to 160 calories an hour. By comparison they also found that an hour of billiards burns 216 calories, an hour of fishing 302, and a "relaxed canoe trip" 345. An hour of curling? Also 345. When your comparison falls short because more energy is expended during a "relaxed canoe trip" you FAIL. The only argument made here is that 18 holes of golf is "okay exercise." By the way, I burned almost half that amount of calories (350) by walking at a relaxed pace on a treadmill for 30 minutes today. Trust me- treadmill walking is most definitely not a sport.
http://billytrouson.blogspot.com...

Read this article as it rants on how golf is not even a sport.

I will now state how boxing is one of the most mentally challenging sports there is. I'm pretty sure we've all had our fair fist fights or wrestling, but how hard was it mentally fighting that person I ask those who are reading this? The average punch for any person depending on weight, body type, etc, can vary from person to person. The average for a average person can come at 14 MPH at one punch. Your brain only has a second to react. I encourage you to watch my video I will post here, as it is quite entertaining.

Already I state various reasons why golf cannot even be compared as a sport & is not mentally challenging.
mwheaton146

Pro

Lets first address golf being a sport. The main argument against this is always the physical aspect, but u fail to see is the amount of energy exerted doesn't determine whether or not an activity is a sport. Your definitions proved golf is a sport because it is a physical activity, although it is not intense and by saying the definitions are vague, they are still the definitions, therefore your argument that golf is not a sport is pointless.
Boxing can never be compared to golf in a mental aspect because in boxing there is no time to think. With your opponent constantly throwing punches at you, you can't think, u just react. In golf u actually have that time to think, if you just hit your ball in the trees, that whole walk u are thinking, "I just lost the tournament", or "I'm such an idiot".
It is absurd to even compare the two, there is no other sport where a mental breakdown, can kill your entire game. You don't have any subs or anyone to relieve you, you have to power through your round. Your mind is pretty much your only asset and with the obstacles surrounding golf, it is constantly being attacked.
KB240o

Con

You obviously did not read the article I posted. If your going to debate, you must listen to all statements. You are completely arrogant to my fact I stated above, & are COMPLETLEY blind to boxing using no mental skills.

My opponent said "Boxing can never be compared to golf in a mental aspect because in boxing there is no time to think." Really? last I checked boxing fights in arenas like MGM Grand & Pay-Per-View fights, you have millions of peoples eyes on you. You feel the pressure yet?

Lets get inside the ring (Fake dramatized mini novel about boxing. *Ding Ding Ding* "Round 8 has begun and it's one hell of a fight here in Las Vegas MGM grand, Manny Pacquiao & Floyd Mayweather are putting a heck of a show on tonight for us ladies and gentleman. Mayweather throws a right jab, Manny takes the punch, Mayweather Swings & misses! OH! Manny hits Mayweather with a hammer right hand & he's down! can he get up!?
Referee: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, ....
Mayweather gets up!"

This is just an example of a fight how the intensity can be & how the pressure can easily fall on you. Understand what I'm saying ok? Mayweather just got knocked out, through his mental state of mind how is he going to come back? Does he come back swinging hard? Does he just run around & play safe & wait to talk to his trainer? Behind your back you have half the stadium screaming "Pac-man Pac-man!". Do you feel the pressure yet?? This can be for any boxer, contenders, sparing, a belt fight, even just two high school kids fighting over a girl.

As for golf though... You just hear the announcer say: "Ok Tiger Woods is up, everyone be quiet now... he swings, oh! A miss!"
Yeah I understand how the awkwardness of a quiet zone focusing on one person can be hard but that is absolutely noting compared to boxing.

One more thing, my opponent says: "With your opponent constantly throwing punches at you, you can't think, u just react. In golf u actually have that time to think, if you just hit your ball in the trees, that whole walk u are thinking, "I just lost the tournament", or "I'm such an idiot. It is absurd to even compare the two, there is no other sport where a mental breakdown, can kill your entire game."
Well excuse me but last I checked a knockout can end the game. As for golf you can hit it into the water and be like, "Oh it's ok, I'll just put another ball here by the water". Either my opponent just is irrelevant or just uneducated about the sport of boxing.

To wrap this up, an environment can effect you anywhere! But if there's a million people watching what you are doing, that's two-million eyes on you.
mwheaton146

Pro

I can see how my aforementioned statements can be taken as me saying boxing takes no mental skill, that is not my opinion. Yes the pressure of a crowd, does a lot to a athlete mentally, but as u said, it can equally be said that no crowd can create the same mental strain. Without a crowd, there is no way to distract yourself from the millions of things going on in your mind.

My opponent stated,"Mayweather just got knocked out, through his mental state of mind how is he gonna come back? Does he come back swinging harder?...". If mayweather was knocked out he doesn't have to think anymore because the fight is over. This brings me to my point, in Golf there is no premature end. Yes u can replace the ball that you hit in the water, but you have to continue your round thinking about what had just gone wrong.

However there is not just the crowd there to add mental stress there are also elements such as weather to take into account, unlike in boxing. In golf, you constantly are at the mercy of mother nature and she is very unpredictable. Dealing with 20mph right to left winds is definitely mentally taxing, especially if u are one stroke back at a major championship. Remember u are trying to get a small ball into a slightly larger hole, up to around 600 yards away, there is a lot that can go wrong in that stretch.

So I respond to you saying i'm not educated in the sport of boxing, with have u ever played 18 holes, let alone 72 holes, i doubt it because you would understand the constant mental stress. So you my dear sir are not educated in the sport of golf
KB240o

Con

I will skip this round because i'll have 2 more rounds left.
mwheaton146

Pro

mwheaton146 forfeited this round.
KB240o

Con

Well it looks like Pro has deleted his account.
mwheaton146

Pro

mwheaton146 forfeited this round.
KB240o

Con

For the time that Pro was here he put up a good argument, Pro if you see this please make another account & add me we can debate again about this. But also just because Pro is not here doesn't mean I'm going to just stop debating, I'm a winner I want to win this debate.

Through a boxers mentality he or she has to constantly keep in mind & that he can get hit or dropped in a blink of an eye. Boxers fight from 2-3 minutes & must be aware & cautious at ALL times, but in golf you only have to think for about 30 seconds because I'm assuming that's the average time a golfer uses to swing the club. Is the boxer going to uppercut to the gut, or jab 4 times to the face? If a boxer gets hit hard just one time this can take away his confidence because it can make him question "can I keep up with him?" or if you are giving your full force on every punch you throw & you see your punches are not phasing his or her opponent this can make the boxer question his own strength, for example: "Are my punches that hard? Am I throwing them hard enough"? This can make the boxer throw more punches & drain his or her stamina.
Posted by Mikal 3 years ago
Mikal
Pro will have a hard time showing this, and has really produced no evidence yet. This is so subjective that its almost impossible to win. All con has to do is show logically that there are other sports that require just as much effort and mental toughness. He does not even have to say they are harder than gold but just as challenging and the debate is over.
Posted by Mikal 3 years ago
Mikal
Vote Placed by dashy654 3 years ago
dashy654
mwheaton146KB240oTied
Reasons for voting decision: My god, PRO really thinks golf is the hardest because of those problems? It is like that in nearly every sport. Football quarterbacks can't throw it too far out of the range of a receiver or it can be intercepted, basketball players are the same with the shots. My god, that was a strange debate. I would've destroyed PRO.
Vote Placed by wrichcirw 3 years ago
wrichcirw
mwheaton146KB240oTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
mwheaton146KB240oTied
Reasons for voting decision: CONDUCT: FF. ARGUMENT: pro dropped out, when he could not defeat con's counters. Con's tactic of first questioning if golf is even a sport was very smart; even if annoying to any golfers in the voter pool (a risk, but it paid off). SOURCES: Con used them, to include a very informative video on boxing.