MasterKage
royalpaladin

Google Chrome is more useful than Mozilla Firefox

MasterKage
Started: 12/10/2011 Category: Technology

MasterKage

Pro

I will be arguing that Google Chrome is more useful than Mozilla Firefox, and my opponent must argue that Mozilla Firefox is more useful than Google Chrome.

Rules

Round 1: Acceptance, definitons, and clarification.

Round 2: Arguments/Rebuttals
Round 3: Rebuttals
Round 4: Rebuttals, Closing arguments

Definitons

Google Chrome is a web browser developed by Google that uses the WebKit layout engine.

Mozilla Firefox is a free and open source web browser descended from the Mozilla Application Suite and managed by Mozilla Corporation.

Usful is defined as capable of being put to use; especially : serviceable for an end or purpose <useful tools>

Good luck to who ever takes this.

royalpaladin

Con

I thank my opponent for this interesting debate and negate the resolution.
MasterKage

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting.

Contention 1: Chrome has a much better overall performance than firefox.

In the Peacekeeper browser performance test Google Chrome [1] scored a 2,963.

In the Peacekeeper browser performance test Mozilla Firefox [2] scored a 789.

This is essentially showing Google Chrome has a much better performance than Firefox, in fact Firefox pales in comparison to Chrome.

Contention 2: Google Chrome beats Firefox in nearly every aspect.

PC Magazine [3] did an article comparing various browsers in each browser aspect.
Of course I will be focusing on Firefox and Chrome.

Google Chrome beats Firefox in nearly every aspect when you directly compare them.

In the Google V8 score(v.6) Google Chrome scored an 8205, while Firefox scored a measly 3459.

In the Mozilla Kraken score 1.1 (lower is better) Chrome scored a 4841 while Firefox scored a 5707/

In the SunSpider 0.9.1 Score (lower is better) Chrome scored 267 while scored a 282.

Contention 3: The Google Chrome Web store has hundreds of potential apps and games to increase Chrome's effectiveness.

The Chrome web store has hundreds of apps to increase the effectiveness and potential of Chrome.

For example one of the apps is a NYTimes which allows you to read the New York Times in your browser.

Another is the Quick Note apps which allows you to make quick notes to allow you to remember any thing you need at the time.

[1] http://peacekeeper.futuremark.com...
[2] http://peacekeeper.futuremark.com...
[3] http://www.pcmag.com...
[4] Google Web Store

That's all for now.
I wish my opponent the best of luck.
royalpaladin

Con

I negate. I posit that Firefox is better than Chrome for several reasons.

First, according to my opponent's PCMag.com source, Firefox defeated Chrome in graphics hardware acceleration. PCMag.com notes, "The next frontier in browser performance is about graphics hardware acceleration. In this area, Internet Explorer and Firefox are ahead of Google Chrome, Opera, and Safari. Microsoft was the first browser maker to make an issue of hardware acceleration in the buildup to its releasing IE9. The company's site for its browser, called IETestdrive.com, sports a slew of demonstrations that show off hardware acceleration, which you can try running in any browser. On these, you can clearly see IE and Firefox's lead in hardware acceleration." (Source: http://www.pcmag.com...).

Next, PC Mag conducted a series of tests and noted that Firefox defeated Chrome in four out of the seven categories, including Psychadelic Browsing, which tested rapid color change and animation handling, and a Hardware Acceleration Stress Test. This is directly from his own source; you can check it yourself.

Moreover, Firefox is better for testing because it offers an HTML viewing mode and thus is used by web developers when testing their website. "When the code of our sites has bugs, often it generates HTML code that is incorrect or even invalid. So we need to examine the HTML code to help figuring what is wrong.

Firefox has this awesome feature that lets you select a portion of a page and it shows the exact HTML that corresponds to selected page portion. There is no such feature in Chrome.

The best you have is an Inspect Element feature that lets you find the HTML code for the page element under your mouse pointer. It is not the same thing. If I selected a region of the page, I would like to view the whole region HTML, not just a single element.

Another annoyance is that Chrome tries to beautify the HTML code. This means that if you have malformed HTML, you will not see where it is malformed, as Chrome will show you a beautified version of the HTML code after have been already fixed. I wish there was an option to disable beautification."

Source: http://www.phpclasses.org...

In addition, Chrome is more difficult to use than Firefox; doing simple tasks like shutting off Javascript require lengthy processes that are inconvenient. The same source notes, "Sometimes you need to test your site with JavaScript disabled. The only way to disable it in Chrome is going to preferences and disable it there. This is a real drag.

In Firefox you can use the Web Developer extension by Chris Pederick to add a button to the browser toolbar to quickly disable and re-enable JavaScript any time you want.

For Chrome there is also the Web Developer extension by the same developer but it does not provide a means to disable JavaScript.

The problem is due to a limitation of the Chrome API exposed to extensions. It does not provide a way to disable JavaScript from extensions.

There is a feature request for the Chromium project to implement the necessary support to disable JavaScript. The feature implementation was even assigned about 1 year ago to be implemented, but it never happened. Oddly users were disallowed to post further comments to that feature request."

Moreover, Chrome is riddled with bugs that cause it to crash when it ought to be handling normal, easy project. The same source contends, "The Flash extension crashes frequently
I do not develop sites in Flash. However, sometimes I need to access certain Google sites that provide useful information presented using Flash. That is the case of Google Analytics and Google Webmaster Tools.

Unfortunately, the Flash extension shipped with Chrome crashes frequently. That does not happen when using Firefox to access the exact same pages."

In addition, Mozilla welcomes and begs for user input, while Google Chrome does not allow for reporting of bugs. The same source notes, "10. No feedback to bug reports
I tried to report some of the problems above using Chrome built-in bug reporting system. You go on the menu Tools and then Report an Issue, and it shows a nice bug report page which may even include a screenshot of the current page you were browsing.

The problem is that I never got any feedback of my bug reports. So I do not know if the bugs were submitted and received properly, let alone having been seen and acted upon.

I do know if the time I spent trying to describe the bug reports was worth it. I suspect that it would probably be more efficient if I reported any bugs to the Chromium project directly.

Maybe I am getting this wrong, but sometimes I get the feeling that Google people does not see the act of providing feedback to the user community as an important thing."

Even more devastatingly, Chrome does not display XML Documents properly even though XML documents are important in web development. "Chrome doesn't display XML documents nearly as well as Firefox

Firefox uses a default stylesheet whenever it encounters an XML document. Here's an example (the server info document from the Wowza streaming server):

Chrome, on the other hand, treats XML as HTML and does a horrible job displaying it...

Firefox's rendering of the XML document is great - very readable and usable. In contrast, Chrome's rendering of XML awful." (Source: http://www.slicksurface.com...).

In addition, Firefox is just as fast as Chrome; Firefox 8 eliminates many of Firefox's 7's problems and is thus just as fast as Chrome is. (Source: http://www.extremetech.com...).

Responses to Opposition

Contention1 is based on the Peacekeeper browser test. Unfortuantely, this test may be biased beacuse it relies on internet users to subject their browsers to the test. Perhaps Chrome users have better, faster computers because they are more likely to be "techy", thus causing an inherent bias in the testing. In addition, the Peacekeeper test amalgamates the older versions of the broswer with the newer version's results, so the output they produce is biased and does not account for updates.

Contention 2 is completely wrong; he never even bothered to discuss the majority of the tests in his source. His source actually concludes that Firefox is better than Chrome, so you can turn this against him and vote for the negative.

Contention 3 is basically irrelevant because Firefox offers the same features. Firefox is open source freeware, so many users help develop plug-ins and apps to improve Firefox and promote customization. In fact, Firefox's user-base and plugins are better developed than Chrome because they have attracted users for a greater period of time. Again, this is a reason to vote negative.

Vote negative and for the browser that currently holds over 50% of the market.
MasterKage

Pro

I thank my opponent for their response.

I will now refute his arguments.

First, according to my opponent's PCMag.com source, Firefox defeated Chrome in graphics hardware acceleration. PCMag.com notes.

Note that Internet Explorer is irrelevant to the resolution.

The chart my opponent is referring to is the FishIE test.
As you can see Google Chrome scored a 40 while Firefox scored a 60.
There is not a significant amount apart, they are quite near the same scoring.

I'm afraid this information is incorrect.
As you can see Google Chrome beats Firefox in three categories while Firefox beat Chrome in three categories.

Chrome excelled in Google V8 (v.6) Score, Mozilla Kraken 1.1 Score in ms, and SunSpider 0.9.1 Score in ms.

While it may be used to web developers, this feature won't be used for the average person.
Also, manual viewing of the HTML would have a greater use than the feature which can be done on Chrome.
There may be faults in the software that provides the HTML viewing tool.

This would actually help the web developers.
The can select the area that has an error and focus on that individual area rather than having to inspect the whole web page HTML.
This would also help the developer find the error quicker.

You can easily use the Inspect Element tool you referenced earlier.
This easily allows you to find the error in the HTML

JavaScript is a prototype-based scripting language that is dynamic, weakly typed and has first-class functions. It is a multi-paradigm language, supporting object-oriented,[6] imperative, and functional[1][7] programming styles.

I don't see why the need to shut off JavaScript arise.
The only area I see that you would need to shut off Javascript is when a element in the web page you are viewing is in conflict with Javascript.

Actually, Chrome hardly ever crashes. [1]
Also, Firefox could easily crash from the same areas Chrome may.

Chrome focuses more on the actual bug reported than contacting the person who sent the bug; this let's Chrome focus on actually fixing the bug.

In addition, Firefox is just as fast as Chrome; Firefox 8 eliminates many of Firefox's 7's problems and is thus just as fast as Chrome is. (Source: http://www.extremetech.com......).

Chrome is actually much faster than Firefox.
As you can see here,
http://www.zdnet.com...
Chrome had the much better score than Firefox.
Chrome achieved a score of 791 and Firefox scored 3341.
The lower is the better in this case.
This shows that Chrome is much faster than Firefox.

I will now address my opponent's refutations.

Refutation A: My first contention.
I tested Firefox and Chrome on my own HP computer.
I also had the most updated version of Chrome and Firefox.

Refutation B: My second contention.
Actually Firefox and Chrome had an equal amount of wins in each category.
Since you never refuted my first contention, this contention is valid.

Refutation C: My third contention.
Chrome has a much greater selection of apps to choose from with a greater usage.

I have refuted each of my opponents arguments.

royalpaladin

Con

I forfeit. Vote pro; I do not have enough time to do this at the moment.
MasterKage

Pro

My opponenet has forefeited. Extend all arguements and refutations.
royalpaladin

Con

Please vote pro.
Posted by Cheezybiscuits 3 years ago
Cheezybiscuits
It's a personal preference.
Posted by milkman1218 4 years ago
milkman1218
1dustspelt i agree i use ie5 all day its so zipy
Posted by 1dustpelt 4 years ago
1dustpelt
Chrome sucks it lags and hangs and it's so slow.
Posted by ethopia619 4 years ago
ethopia619
Good debate.
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
NOt to be rude pro, but she's winning.
Posted by MasterKage 4 years ago
MasterKage
I wasn't expecting much interest in this debate.

Now all I need is a Contender.
Posted by FlyCauseICanBe 4 years ago
FlyCauseICanBe
I've been in love with Chrome ever since I discovered it! I like the themes and the apps, especially the screenshot app. I find that very useful. This should definitley be interesting, I'm "liking" this one. :)
Posted by MasterKage 4 years ago
MasterKage
Yep. I finally got around to re-posting it.
Posted by Chrysippus 4 years ago
Chrysippus
Ah, the one we discussed. Watching this.
Posted by OberHerr 4 years ago
OberHerr
Hmm, personally I just like Firefox's setup more, but hey this should be interesting. *Likes*
Vote Placed by OberHerr 4 years ago
OberHerr
MasterKageroyalpaladinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Asked for a Pro win.
Vote Placed by WriterSelbe 4 years ago
WriterSelbe
MasterKageroyalpaladinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.
Vote Placed by wiploc 4 years ago
wiploc
MasterKageroyalpaladinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.
Vote Placed by Mr.Infidel 4 years ago
Mr.Infidel
MasterKageroyalpaladinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit
Vote Placed by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
MasterKageroyalpaladinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit by Con.
Vote Placed by wierdman 4 years ago
wierdman
MasterKageroyalpaladinTied
Reasons for voting decision: I liked the idea of graphic hardware. While both debater did an excellent job, Con wins based on this argument.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
MasterKageroyalpaladinTied
Reasons for voting decision: lol why FF