Google and Yahoo are a key resource for home Schooling

I love Google and Yahoo. With Google and Yahoo I can search the Internet on any subject that interests me, at any time day or night, in the comfort of my home. I was thinking how much fun it is to learn new things with Google or Yahoo, compared to the boredom or learning torture that public schools put millions of kids through every day.

Let's consider the differences in how a typical child (we'll call her Jenny) learns when she uses Google or Yahoo, compared to how she learns in her public- school classroom.

First, with Google or Yahoo, Jenny can explore any subject that fascinates her. She literally has the whole world at her fingertips. She can learn about tulips, cooking, dinosaurs, fashion, arithmetic, model airplanes, how to play the piano, or story books by thousands of authors.

When she is older, she can search dozens of Internet libraries, including the Library of Congress, for information on any subject under the sun.

In contrast, in her public-school classroom, Jenny must study only the subjects the teacher or school principal says she must study, even though these subjects might bore her to death.

Second, with Google or Yahoo at home, Jenny can spend as many hours as she wants studying any subject that fascinates her. If she likes flowers, she can spend all day learning about different flowers, how they grow, the best season to plant them, how sunlight helps them, or how much water each flower needs.

In contrast, in public school, Jenny usually spends about 50 minutes on each subject the school forces her to study. She has to go to a different class on a different subject every 50 minutes, even if she was interested in the subject she was studying in her previous class. This can strangle her interest in any one subject. For Jenny, public school turns learning into broken, disconnected bits of knowledge on subjects that often bore her.

Third, with Google and Yahoo, Jenny learns at her own pace. If she doesn't understand something she reads about, she can ask her Mom or search Google and Yahoo to find the answer. She can spend as much time as she wants with a problem that intrigues her. Because she can learn at her own pace, she feels safe and comfortable learning with Google and Yahoo.

In her public-school class, however, Jenny has to learn all the material the teacher gives her in the specific time the teacher allows. Then (in later grades) the teachers will test her. If Jenny didn't like to study the subjects the teacher told her to learn and did bad on her test, she can feel hurt and humiliated. She then associates learning with pain and humiliation. This in turn can extinguish Jenny's joy in learning.

With Google and Yahoo, Jenny finds learning a constant joy. With public schools, more often than not, learning becomes a boring drudge or worse.

Government-controlled public schools will never give your kids the kind of joyous education they deserve, the kind your children can get in a homeschooling environment. At home, your kids can learn from Google, Yahoo, learning software, or hundreds of other low-cost education resources available to you right now.

So how can we Google and Yahoo our children's education? Parents, you might seriously consider taking your children out of public school, permanently. Let your kids once again discover the joy of learning with education alternatives like Google and Yahoo, homeschooling, or low-cost, quality, Internet private schools.

Joel Turtel

My opponent claims that Google and Yahoo are not only better than the public school system but key resourse nessacary for home schooling because it allegedly
Allows one to explore any topic that fascinates them
Spend as many hours as they want studying them
and it allows one to learn at their own pace.
However in the United States in order to graduate with at least a high school diploma one must take a set of 'core' courses. So wasting one times on learning about a subject that won't help you graduate is almost pointlesss. Additionally my opponent never said anything about actually taking the said interesting course. He mentions learning about the subject researching it and studying it but he never mentions actually taking the course. This would be a complete waste of time because if one is not taking the course then they recieve no credit so it cannot help them later in life other than giving them the knowledge to be able to talk about it. Now online schools can be used by those home schooled to quickly get all the neccesary credits for core courses so that they can move onto more fun courses. Google or Yahoo is not neccessary for these online schools. The one I am most familiar with is Florida Virtual School. Using this online school I have taken many enjoyable courses with out having to use Google or Yahoo. Additionally he claims that public schools will never give children the joyous education they deserve. Now for me and many other this is false. I have met more then half of my closest friends at a public school. Furthermore even in his closing paragraph he fails to point out the truth about students still having to take core courses for credit. If my opponent would like I can provide a list of all the necessary credits needed to graduate in which classes. So as I have proven Google and Yahoo are not key in being schooled at home.
I must apologize for such a short response. I have finals coming up soon and have to study as well as work on some extra credit work.

Turtel forfeited this round.

My opponent forfeited and was able to neither defend his points nor refute mine. I encourage you all to vote Con.

Turtel forfeited this round.

Once again my opponent has failed to post. Please vote Con.
Posted by TheSkeptic 7 years ago
An interesting idea from PRO, but he needs to target it better. Instead of making the resolution "Google and Yahoo are a key resource for home Schooling", he should perhaps do something like "Home schooling is more efficient than school". This is stemming from his argument, because it's targeted against schools.

Nonetheless, interesting debate.
Vote Placed by MTGandP 7 years ago