Cleary9
SamBuck

Government controls

SamBuck

Cleary9

Pro

That greater controls should be imposed on the gathering and utilization of information about United States citizens by government agencies
SamBuck

Con

My side of this debate is to explain why the government should not have more in-depth profiles on its citizens and that we as a society must respect the fourth amendment. I believe that we should not be trying to keep information on our citizens, because it both is being abused, and has the potential for even more abuse. I would also like to point out the moral insincerity of keeping profiles on our citizens which are not as simple.
Cleary9

Pro

This debate is a obvious one , government should have the control to do this. Government should be monitoring people left and right to make this country a safer place to live. If there's people making calls to Iraq and Pakistan and no one on there family is in the military then that should be monitored. After all don't change it if it ain't broke .
SamBuck

Con

A government created to serve the people should be serving the people, and not making the people serve them! Shouldn't we have information on our government rather than them having information on us? I am scared that our fourth amendment will be broken even more than it already has been, and that police and law enforcement will start to gain search warrants for everything. I would be for the government listening to our phone calls except for the fact that I believe it will become a stepping stone for future actions which are much more violating and invading of our lives. I fear that we will meet the same ending as Rome did. Rome did not end when barbarians sacked its capital. It ended when Octavian threw away the senate and replaced it with a completely different government. I fear that this is the fate we are headed towards, and that America will change for the worse.

My second argument is that I believe that we will simply lose more money if we try to control the population more. We already have a government so massive that we have hundreds of people regulating SCHOOL LUNCHES. Do we really be needing to increase our size of government and spend money which could be spent much better elsewhere?
Cleary9

Pro

Cleary9 forfeited this round.
SamBuck

Con

SamBuck forfeited this round.
Posted by Finalfan 2 years ago
Finalfan
Someone needs to remind me what the government is for! Is it suppose to be a gelatinous blob that is destructive and invincible! I guess I'm thinking too far ahead when we were are not under constant threat from foreign enemies! You realize.. we actually might deserve our punishment! Think about it! We all knew how to stop this! We had to give EVERY human on this planet a fair piece of this earth! We selfishly hoard resources puffing up our chest in dominance.. but that doesn't stop the desperate have nots from doing what they need to do to feed their family.. even if that means at the expense of your family! So again we knew how to stop our own suffering.. but we are too narrow minded and self absorbed.. we thought we could have our cake and eat it too.. but the only way that will ever happen is if we ALL have some cake!
Posted by whiteflame 2 years ago
whiteflame
Would you mind establishing a case for what controls you think should be imposed? Just "controls" could basically be anything from a slap on the wrist to a trial for treason.
Vote Placed by zmikecuber 2 years ago
zmikecuber
Cleary9SamBuckTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF from both... Con had better arguments though