brian_eggleston
Scott_Mann

Government health and immigration policies should be linked

brian_eggleston

Pro

Today, British women are bigger than ever before (1) and, after American and Mexican girls, are now the fattest in the world (2). This is bad news in terms of British women's health and even worse news for British men looking for replacement or supplementary girlfriends. At the same time, the number immigrants arriving in Britain every year is widely seen as being far too high (3).

So why not link health and immigration policies and restrict residency visas to fit young women? That way British women would have to lose weight in order to compete with the influx of slim girls from abroad, which would be good for their health.

Furthermore, there would be far more sexy women in British pubs and clubs available for selection, which would please those British men who are currently obliged to accept overweight girls or remain single.

This type of initiative is called "joined-up government" and has been proven to work well in other areas of the public sector (4) so I urge you to support this important proposal by voting Pro.

(1) http://www.infomat.com...
(2) http://www.nationmaster.com...
(3) http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
(4) http://www.guardianpublic.co.uk...
Scott_Mann

Con

In order to win this debate, I must prove that intentions to bar overweight people from entering a country would be unfair and unjust.

My opponent has not provided definitions, and so, I will apply my own, and then begin refuting.

Should: used to express obligation, duty, etc. [1]
Link: associate: make a logical or causal connection [2]

My opponent seems to base his argument off of three essential points. He seems to believe we should link these two:
1. So as to lower the number of overweight people in Britain
2. So as to lower the population in Britain
3. So as to ensure more attractive woman in Britain

The problem with these ideas is that Britain would be achieving these goals through unfairness. While I agree with my opponent that there is a worldwide weight problem, it would be unfair for the government to require that people enter the country only if they meet a maximum weight limit. People should not be judged for their appearance or weight, and should advocate for themselves if they feel they need to lose the weight. Simply closing the border to those of a certain weight just so as to maintain the number of good-looking people would not be right, and potentially prevent good, intelligent people from entering the county.

The same logic applies to the number of immigrants they have in total. Using looks and weight to limit immigration would not be a reasonable act of the government to pursue, and if the population is truly an issue, banning immigration altogether in Britain would be a more fair approach.

For men who seek women at a certain weight, it would be very simple to just continue looking. If there aren't any girls in a pub that suit a man's interest, then he should simply keep looking. However, linking health with immigration policies is too discriminatory, the way my opponent is putting it. Women should not be barred from entering a country simply because they wouldn't be attractive in the eyes of men.

For these reasons, I urge a Con vote.

==SOURCES==

[1] Webster's New World Dictionary
[2] http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu...
brian_eggleston

Pro

I should like to thank Scott Mann for his insightful contribution and I also accept his definitions.
In response to he reasoned argument.

I would say this has nothing to do with personal preferences - there are some very pretty plump women out there and some pug-ugly thin girls out there as well (although, that said, you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're stoking the fire, do you?)

Overall though, our prime concern should be women's welfare and by encouraging them to lose weight, by whatever means, the net results will be beneficial to their health - and good for men out on the pull as well.

In short, everyone's a winner – please vote Pro.

Scott_Mann

Con

I respect my opponent's intentions to help women's welfare by encouraging living a healthy lifestyle, however, this does not level with discriminating against people with excess weight, as this is not the proper way of solving the world's health crisis.

Also, my opponent's case did indeed have to do with personal preferences, as he states in his first argument that attractive women "would please those British men who are currently obliged to accept overweight girls or remain single," and even in his second argument he states it would be "good for men out on the pull." If the issue wasn't about personal preferences, this would not have been argued, and so, my opponent is flat-out contradicting himself in his two arguments.

As I have argued before, barring overweight women from entering Britain's borders would be unfair and unjust. Pretty looks and personal preferences should not come before equality. While it is essential that we do all that we can to encourage exercise and losing weight, we should not force people to do so in order to enter a country's borders.

I thank my opponent for this debate. I humbly urge the readers of this debate to vote Con.

Posted by Rockylightning 7 years ago
Rockylightning
nice, koopin
Posted by badger 7 years ago
badger
You're a match.
Posted by ournamestoolong 7 years ago
ournamestoolong
Best. Debate. EVAR!
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
Posted by brian_eggleston 7 years ago
brian_eggleston
Yes, of course, most British men are overweight as well* though I won't say any more than that otherwise I'll be giving my opponent amunition to use against me!

* Not me though, ladies, I'm 6'3" and only 12 stone (170lbs)
Posted by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
The movie 'Love Actually' was set in England and one character was constantly teased for being over-weight. The thing is, she in NO WAY looked overweight to me despite being the butt of many fat jokes in the film. Maybe you guys are too picky... or something. This is her in 2 scenes from the movie (admittedly they're not the best of photos but all I could find): http://ia.media-imdb.com... / http://ia.media-imdb.com... . Eh, basically I think you English guys need to get over yourselves and learn to appreciate a woman's curves lol. Aren't most British men generally unattractive anyway?
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
brian_egglestonScott_MannTied
Vote Placed by Grantarp 7 years ago
Grantarp
brian_egglestonScott_MannTied
Vote Placed by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
brian_egglestonScott_MannTied
Vote Placed by Scott_Mann 7 years ago
Scott_Mann
brian_egglestonScott_MannTied
Vote Placed by Rockylightning 7 years ago
Rockylightning
brian_egglestonScott_MannTied