Governments should support research into the cure for male homosexuality

Any normal man would consider being sexually penetrated by another man a fate worse than death but there are some men who, tragically, have to endure this horrific ordeal on a regular basis. These men suffer from what the medical profession call "homosexuality".

Sadly, there is no cure for homosexuality and, worse still, there is no major research funding in place to find a remedy for this distressing and humiliating condition. [1]

Large sections of society misunderstands this terrible ailment, wrongly assuming that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice and, consequently, sufferers often face verbal and physical abuse from bigoted people who don't realise that homosexuality is a disability just like any other.

Of course, it is not socially acceptable to approach a disabled person in the street, tip their wheelchair over and scream: "You dirty, f***ing cripple, f*** off and die you filthy spastic bastard" at them. After all, their physical handicap is not their choice, just like being a homosexual gentleman is, obviously, not something any man would choose to be. That's why they should not be subjected to abuse or discrimination.

Unfortunately, though, there will always be some ignorant people in the world who completely fail to understand the nature of this terrible affliction and persecute homosexual sufferers which means a cure for male homosexuality required all the more urgently.

However, certain conservative politicians and religious fanatics want to see homosexual men punished, not cured. Indeed, in many countries around the world homosexual gentlemen are criminalised, with sufferers being sentenced to imprisonment or even death. [2]

In my view, it's time the international community ignored the opinions of fascist politicians and religious zealots and officially supported fundraising for research into the cure for male homosexuality.

I thank my opponent for hosting this debate.

Homosexuality is not a disease

Homosexuality is not listed as a mental disorder in the current Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders
(DSM-5). According to the American Psychiatrists Association:

"The American Psychiatric Association does not believe that same-sex orientation should or needs to be changed, and efforts to do so represent a significant risk of harm by subjecting individuals to forms of treatment which have not been scientifically validated and by undermining self-esteem when sexual orientation fails to change. No credible evidence exists that any mental health intervention can reliably and safely change sexual orientation; nor, from a mental health perspective does sexual orientation need to be changed."

Most gays do not suffer from their homosexuality

In fact, a study showed that gay men who have come out are less likely to be depressed than heterosexual men [2]. "Gay" also means "cheerful". Perhaps that is not a coincidence:

gayadjective \G2;gā\ [3]
: sexually attracted to someone who is the same sex
: of, relating to, or used by homosexuals
: happy and excited : cheerful and lively

enough research done

A lot of research on homosexuality has already been done, with mixed results at best. Based on this research, the APA came to the conclusion that homosexuality cannot and should not be cured.

PRO: In my view, it's time the international community ignored the opinions of fascist politicians and religious zealots and officially supported fund raising for research into the cure for male homosexuality.
My opponent is short changing the fascists and religious zealots here.

Fascists politicians subscribe to the idea that homosexuality is a disease. "Fascist Italy declared homosexuality to be a social disease." [5] Some Nazis did try to cure homosexuality, albeit in a brutal way [6]:
"Because some Nazis believed homosexuality was a sickness that could be cured, they designed policies to "cure" homosexuals of their "disease" through humiliation and hard work. Guards ridiculed and beat homosexual prisoners upon arrival, often separating them from other inmates. Rudolf Hess, commandant of Auschwitz, wrote in his memoirs that homosexuals were segregated in order to prevent homosexuality from spreading to other inmates and guards. "
The methods of these fascists were cruel and ineffective though.

Religious Zealots have done research on homosexuality. There is already non-government funded "research" on homosexuality by NARTH [4]. One of the "cures" the apply is "conversion therapy". For those few people who are bothered by their homosexual feelings there are a couple of options. Homosexuality sometimes conflicts with religious views of the person. In that case, the easiest solution is to "cure" the person from (this particular) religion. If the person does not want to change their religion, there is always the option of denial. Acceptance is the most healthy way to deal with homosexuality, but denial is another option. Methods have been developed to make denial as effective as possible. This is called "conversion therapy" ("pray away the gay").

The REAL problem

The real problem for homosexuals is not their sexual orientation but homophobia. So rather than funding research to "cure" homosexuality, government should support research to "cure" homophobia. Although homophobia is not a clinical diagnosis
(it's not in the DSM-5) or an actual phobia, it is is an actual problem, unlike homosexuality itself. Homosexuals suffer from bigotry and discrimination. [7]

I would like to thank black squirrel for accepting this challenge but before I respond to his arguments I should like to clarify my position as follows:

When I talk about a "cure" for homosexuality I am not referring to the "homotherapy" sessions provided by organic wholefood-scoffing, sandal-wearing, carbon-neutral, ethically-aware, bearded, vegan, complimentary medicine practitioners, or the mumbo-jumbo "exorcisms" meted out by ranting shaman witchdoctors, or the "spiritual enlightenment" offered devout, gun-toting, anti-immigration, anti-tax, pro-family Christian lay-preachers, or even the curses spewed out by grasping Gypsy soothsayers.

No, when I speak of a "cure" I mean a proper medical remedy for the condition.

My opponent states that homosexuality is not a disease or a mental condition and I concur with this analysis.

Homosexuality in men (but not women) is a genetic disorder caused by the mutation of genes that takes place in the sufferers' mothers' wombs. [1] Therefore, homosexual men are not "disease-ridden" or "mental cases", no, they are mutants.

It is possible to detect genetic mutations in a foetus the womb so that the parents can elect to have the pregnancy terminated. Just think how useful it would be if the mutated genes that cause homosexuality in males could be identified prior to birth. Wouldn"t the world be a better place if Mr and Mrs John had little Elton flushed down the toilet, or Mr and Mrs Michael had young George ripped out with a pair of forceps, or Mrs Bieber had her womb scraped when she was pregnant with the infant Justin?

Moving on, those fascist politicians of the Nazi era were, indeed, wrong to believe homosexuality was a disease but, as my opponent noted, other fascists rightly describe homosexuality as a "sickness", which it is, in the sense that it is a medical condition.

Finally, while homophobia does exist and should, indeed, be discouraged so it is true that homosexual mutants exist. So, as we have established, homosexuality a medical condition caused by a mutation in the genes, it can, therefore, at least in in theory, be cured - all we need is the funding for more research.

black_squirrel forfeited this round.
Posted by black_squirrel 2 years ago
I must have just missed the deadline for the final arguments. I apologize to my opponent.
"Conduct" should go to pro. I leave it to the voters to decide who had the best arguments.
Posted by Kc1999 2 years ago
Good boy!
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: FF, and better arguments.
Vote Placed by bettabreeder 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: I believed with Pro before and after the debate but they were tied on who had a better conduct, same with grammar. I think that Pro made more convincing arguments and Con used more reliable sorces