annacush
Dpowell

Grade Inflation

annacush

Con

In America, more than 40 percent of students in high-level education institutions receive grades in the A range. Overtime the average GPA of students has increased. Have A's lost value over time? Do students deserve the grades they receive or do students need to work less and less to obtain A's? How can students be accurately evaluated based on their abilities and intelligence if grades are "capped" at an A+? Are there anyways to go about fixing this situation? Should grades be "uncapped" similar to the inflation of common products such as homes, cars, or bread? How to grade curves play into the issue of grade inflation ? Shouldn't they be used to see how the teachers fail to educate? Teachers who need grade curves should be fired.
Dpowell

Pro

This is not entirely true. I, from witnessing my peers in school, have noticed that there is a lack of work coming from the average student. A good 80-90% of the people in my school are failing. Some people will blame the teachers but most of them aren't doing the work or not turning it in. The grade average for the average student is currently at a D, so at 60-69%. But that's just my school, it could be different for other people, but I highly doubt it.
annacush

Con

annacush forfeited this round.
Dpowell

Pro

Though a lot of people either don't care, can't do the work, or are constantly getting in trouble, there are a few people who do get good grades. They actually try hard. Then there are the students that are happy with just a good grade (As- Cs) and could care less about the others they fall in between. We need more of the those, 'in between' people and less of those 'bad end' people.
annacush

Con

annacush forfeited this round.
Dpowell

Pro

Dpowell forfeited this round.
Posted by Raymond_Reddington 2 years ago
Raymond_Reddington
Cite your sources next time
Posted by whiteflame 2 years ago
whiteflame
I'm having trouble understanding the basis for debate here. Is it that Pro must defend grade inflation? That's what the topic looks like, and yet your R1 post says otherwise. You start off on grade inflation, and then move into curves. Be straightforward on this. What is your side in the debate, and what is the burden of your opponent?