JManSmile8
SimonBlackquill

Grades are an effective mean for measuring students' learning.

JManSmile8

Con

First round is for acceptance.
This is my first debate, so please tell me whether I make any formatting mistakes.
Please no swearing.
Thank You!
SimonBlackquill

Pro

Very well, I accept your challenge. On an unrelated note this will (hopefully) be my first debate. (The last one I was in had a glitch and wouldn't let me post my argument.)
JManSmile8

Con

First, I"d like to thank you for accepting my debate.
Millions of people who work long hours, are forced to leave their kids to struggle with homework. A kid in high school, with no help from his parents since they work eleven hours a day has a very miniscule chance of pulling off a great grade even if he has potential. His parents can"t afford tutoring. He works harder than anyone in his grade, but only manages to pull off a B-. How is it fair to put the kid with his parent"s assistance, tutoring, working only half as hard, and pulling off the best grade, getting accepted to the best collage? There could be a kid with not the options/availability to succeed.
Grades are a factor of separating the horrible from the "have potential." They"re not effective from deciding the great to the spectacular. There has to be another system to separate the great from the spectacular. A families only making enough to support them throughout the year, food, house, and water, No time to dealing with homework, and school. The child goes to a public school, doesn"t have substantial school supplies, doesn"t have any academic help at home, or a tutor. Compare this to child whose parents retired, hired a tutor, with enough money for great school supplies, and resources. The child works for around half the time of the other kid, but gets outside help, and gets all the problems right. Who"s going to get a better grade? The kid with resources, and opportunities.
Why have grades measuring how many problems you get right when you can have a system measuring how hard your work.
In sports the saying is, "It"s not about the result, but how hard you worked."
Why should school be any different?
SimonBlackquill

Pro

SimonBlackquill forfeited this round.
JManSmile8

Con

Did you forfeit because you couldn't rebut my arguments?

Like I said before, Grades can't fully measure work ethic!
SimonBlackquill

Pro

SimonBlackquill forfeited this round.
JManSmile8

Con

JManSmile8 forfeited this round.
SimonBlackquill

Pro

SimonBlackquill forfeited this round.