straightup.gong
Ryugen

Grades don't matter

Ryugen

straightup.gong

Pro

Society makes too much of a deal about grades. Kids have to study topics they aren't interested in, or probably won't be doing later in life, for no good reason. Those kids get bad grades and everyone labels them as stupid.
Ryugen

Con

I assume round is for acceptance only. Best of luck to my opponent.
straightup.gong

Pro

Grades don't measure intelligence. Grades prove that kids can memorize things when needed. Students usually get bad grades in certain classes because they aren't interested in the class. No one is going to put effort into something they aren't interested in pursuing.
Ryugen

Con

"Grades don't measure intelligence. Grades prove that kids can memorize things when needed."

I find this statement generalizes what goes on in classrooms. While there are plenty of classes based on memorization, there are many discussion based classes where grades are based on participation, critical thinking, analysis, etc. Even if a class has a lot of memorization, application of what you memorized is still important. And while there is much more to intelligence than memorization, it still plays a part in intelligence. Combined with the fact that not all classes are based on facts and memorization, grades are a decent measure of intelligence, though obviously not perfect.

"Students usually get bad grades in certain classes because they aren't interested in the class. No one is going to put effort into something they aren't interested in pursuing."

Unfortunately, sometimes we have to do things we don't enjoy doing. While some people might dislike reading, writing, math, etc., having a general knowledge of these subjects is important, and can allow a student to later specialize in a subject he enjoys.
straightup.gong

Pro

I must point out that this is directed at high school levels.

The core classes shouldn't be required in high school. They teach the basics in junior high and elementary school. Students usually know what they're interested in by the time they're in high school. They'd pick the classes they most like. The core classes stress kids out and take up their social time if they have a lot of unnecessary homework.
Ryugen

Con

"I must point out that this is directed at high school levels."

Even if this is case, there are classes at the high school level that are more than memorization. Speaking from personal experience, my philosophy and some of my English courses were discussion based and emphasized being able to use reason and logic.

"The core classes shouldn't be required in high school. They teach the basics in junior high and elementary school. Students usually know what they're interested in by the time they're in high school. "

I disagree. Most people might have a general idea about what they want to be, but future careers aren't really explored till late high school. Some people don't even know what they want to do in college. Circumstances can change, and career choices can change as a result. Having general knowledge from 1st grade to the end of high school can make career/major changes much easier.

"The core classes stress kids out and take up their social time if they have a lot of unnecessary homework."

I find this position to be too subjective; it all depends on the school, teacher, and class. Even if this were the case the problem is not necessarily with grades; the problem would be teachers putting an emphasis on homework.

For these reasons I believe that grades are necessary and good, to some extent. Thanks for the debate, voters please vote!
Vote Placed by CivilianName295 10 months ago
CivilianName295
straightup.gongRyugenTied
Reasons for voting decision: I am going to have to vote that (Con) did a better job at making arguments since it's true that much of what you learn in high school can apply to your life even if your not going to college. So (Con) is my vote