AnyDifference
Whaddupnoob

Grades should be abolished.

AnyDifference

AnyDifference

Con

The purpose of grading is to assess the student in different subjects and view their progress. To abolish the grading system is absurd; without it, there would be a lot more trouble in determining which students need more academic support.
It can also help determine which students require more challenges within their school. If a student is constantly getting straight A's, that could be an indicator that they meet, possibly excel at many a subject and deserve to be moved to higher-skill curriculum.

It's also helpful to the instructor(s). Grades serve as a form of summary on the student's knowledge of a subject. Grades can also help the instructor(s) determine if it's only one student who needs support, or if there might be a problem with the lessons and teaching methods (For example, if Barry was the only student with a lower grade percentage than other students, that likely means it's just he needs some extra lessons/tutoring, whereas if almost every single student also possessed low grades in the class, that could be an indicator that there is a problem with the lesson and/or how it's being presented and applicated and that there is a need for change to help further the students' understanding.)

Simply put, grades are a necessity in school. To abolish them is to take away the ability to understand which students need more help or more challenge, as well as figure what is the best way for instructors to connect and correctly interact with their students.
Whaddupnoob

Pro

People with poorer grades will become demoralised as they have poor grades.
AnyDifference

Con

Which is all the reason that there are usually extra curricular activities and programs that can help a student.
If the student genuinely cares about the fact they're doing poorly, they've got to help themselves as well. Where I'm from, each individual teacher often has upwards of 170+ students per day, with alternating classes each week. It gets hard to remember each and every student and skill level. That's why there are often many a tutor and program to help them catch up.

Like they always say, it's mostly dependent upon the student's will to actually try and improve, whether they genuinely do not know or just don't care.
Whaddupnoob

Pro

ima troller trollololoolololololololololololololoololol
AnyDifference

Con

AnyDifference forfeited this round.
Whaddupnoob

Pro

Vote PRO!!!!
Posted by AnyDifference 1 year ago
AnyDifference
Ah, shoot. I did not see your comments in time. My time zone must be different...

My apologies.
Posted by Whaddupnoob 1 year ago
Whaddupnoob
please?
Posted by Whaddupnoob 1 year ago
Whaddupnoob
can i leave?
Posted by Bogcha 1 year ago
Bogcha
I will accept this debate but I will be away for the holidays.

If this debate is still open on Monday, I will take it :)
Posted by Ra1pH_Na8oR 1 year ago
Ra1pH_Na8oR
I feel bad for whomever accepts this debate. Yes, let's replace the grading system with oblivion, or better yet gold stars and pins, but wait that might still indicate performance. Let's just stamp "unique" on every report card. See if that get's em into college, lol. Maybe even add in a "unique" scholarship.
Posted by AnyDifference 1 year ago
AnyDifference
@Ra1pH_Na8oR

You'll see that I'm on the Con/Against side of this topic, meaning I do not advocate abolishing grades.
Posted by Ra1pH_Na8oR 1 year ago
Ra1pH_Na8oR
O.o your title says that "Grades should be abolished", then your opening statements provide the benefits of a grading system. Congratulations you've successfully won against yourself . . .
Posted by AnyDifference 1 year ago
AnyDifference
@Theuknown

Hmm... I'm interested in what other alternatives could exist.
Posted by Theunkown 1 year ago
Theunkown
I think the grading system (in all schooling systems) should either be severly reformed or abolished. Though I would need to think of a better system (like that's gonna happen!) or look for what other people think are reasonable alternatives.
Vote Placed by saboosa 1 year ago
saboosa
AnyDifferenceWhaddupnoobTied
Reasons for voting decision: PRO did not even put up an argument
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Midnight1131
AnyDifferenceWhaddupnoobTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ignored all arguments made by Con in the first round, and only provided a 1 sentence argument of their own, which was refuted by Con. After this, Pro revealed themselves as a troll and dropped all arguments. So arguments to Con. Conduct to Pro, due to Con's forfeit.