chipstudent
tad

Grand Theft Auto V

tad
Started: 10/29/2013 Category: Games

chipstudent

Con

GTA V is violent
tad

Pro

As per usual, only half of the true story is told by these review websites, much like common sense media. To be honest, as long as your child is over thirteen and knows their right from wrong then there's no real reason to stop them from getting this game. My son had been asking me for the game's in the GTA series for quite a while, allot of his friends have had this game since they were as young as 10 and he didn't understand why I wouldn't let him have it. But after looking at the game and seeing him play it at one of his friends house, I decided to let him have it. Firstly the mini game in the strip club isn't always on, and there's no mission which makes them go there, so you should be able to trust them enough not to go there. The majority of the swearing is in the cut scenes, which you should be able to trust your child to skip if you want them to, and the same goes for the nudity (although it isn't shown very often, once once or twice throughout the game). Since the missions which are told in the cut scenes are repeated in the menu, skipping these cut scenes shouldn't interfere with their play through of the game. So in whole, as long as your child is mature enough to skip the cut scenes and know that the game isn't real life, then I don't think you should have any concerns about giving it to anyone over thirteen, since the language isn't any different (and probably less frequent) than what they would hear at school.
chipstudent

Con

Picture the scene. A parent with a small child in tow approach a cash desk at a retail shop to buy Grand Theft Auto V. The advisor selling the game informs the parent that the game is rated 18 and contains extreme violence, language and sexual content. This information flies over the head of the parent, distracted by a message on her phone. 'It's fine' the parent mutters carelessly as she hands the game to the minor and away they go. This happened many times in the store during the hectic 24 hours following GTA's launch and I'd imagine all over the country. I know this because I was the person who served this customer. Yes, I work in games retail and write a gaming blog, what are the chances? The thing is, I no longer enjoy the former profession anymore and it's for my above ramblings that I have grown frustrated.

I'm sure there are many parents who never wish their child to be exposed to interactive torture scenes and up close titillation. I'm also aware that older gamers will proclaim to have played Grand Theft Auto when they were fourteen but 'they're fine now'. I respect those opinions, but when they have kids themselves, or worse have other people's kids bully or shout obscenities around them, will they have the same trade of thought?

Most parents in this generation are mostly uninterested in video games. Their disinterest and rampant naivety is to blame for the exposure their children have to ADULT only material. A lot of parents will not make the link between an 18 rated game to an 18 rated film. Grand Theft Auto looks cartoony to them and they exist on the same machines that power up Skylanders. An 18 rated film to parents, stands by itself as a piece of fictional reality that is absolutely for adults only. The point I'm making is that parents need to be educated on gaming's darker side. They need to be told that just because a game looks cartoony, that doesn't automatically excuse possible psychological effects that can result in a twelve year old simulating the act of pulling out a man's tooth with a pair of pliers. It's unacceptable. This act of violence in GTA's most notorious scene is no less disturbing than anything in a Saw or Hostel film and I'm confident that a lot of parents who allow their very young to play Grand Theft Auto are not allowed to watch the aforementioned films.

'My parents allowed me to watch R-rated movies, but they did so with rules. I couldn't curse like the movie did. I needed to know right from wrong. My parents watched along with me. It was a trust I earned, and I think some kids are quick to dismiss that it's a two-way street. I had lunch with a dev the other day whose 15-year-old plays GTA V for the parents. He plays, they watch, the family bonds. That's how it should be -- for them. I get that not every parent enjoys GTA's humour; I'm not saying everyone should do that. But there needs to be a dialogue. Kids need to talk to their parents about what this is and why they want it. Then, they have to listen to what the parents say.'
tad

Pro

I've played the game, and I found it to be one of the most fun games ever. Yes, there is a lot of things involving drugs, drinking, language, violence, and a little bit of sex, but not much sex. The Drugs: The main character doesn't once light up a joint throughout the game, and he hates drugs. A lot of people around him use it because of the high money it gets, but they do have a high price to pay in the end. The Drinking: In the game, Niko can go to bars and drink with his friends, then become drunk. Lots of other characters get the ideas too, but it's not a major issue in it. The Language: It's something you're gonna have to ignore. Yes, there is a lot of language, but Niko attempts to slow down on what he says to people. Lots of other people swear like crazy, one for example is Patrick McReary. He drops the F-word in almost every sentence he says, more than once. The Violence: Another thing you'll have to get used to, but again, even Niko himself doesn't want to do it. In the game, you cannot hit any women. The main thing is, there are lots of characters that are thrown off buildings and some are even set on fire. One had both of those. The Sex: This is something I would say you'd have to least worry about. You can have sex with your girlfriends in the game, but you don't see it at all, but you can hear them. Niko goes to strip clubs too. Now for the good stuff. The Good Role Model: Niko is a man who loves his cousin, but he hates how his cousin had lied about being rich, but promised they could achieve it. Niko is a Russian man at first looking for revenge on someone who killed twelve of his army friends for a thousand dollars, but has the choice of whether to kill them or not. If he doesn't, he actually feels very relieved. He doesn't like the drugs or too much violence, he tries to clean it up by doing violence to stop the evil people from smuggling drugs in the end. The Game-play: It's pretty easy to learn if you've not played any of the GTA games. The first thing you'll notice though that the controls and camera have changed since San Andreas. Bottom-line: I'd recommend this game for fifteen and older, but sure to teach them not to do the wrong things that others do in it.
chipstudent

Con

chipstudent forfeited this round.
tad

Pro

tad forfeited this round.
Posted by SirReed 3 years ago
SirReed
I think Chipstudent should be pro on this issue right?
Posted by fool1602 3 years ago
fool1602
All this stuff is true but if you are so worried you do something tell there parents about the game dont just let them buy it i got games like that and im 13 BUT i know and my parents know all about the game they know im not taking it to real life so my point is dont let them buy it stop them and tell them about it if you see there young
Vote Placed by imabench 3 years ago
imabench
chipstudenttadTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both sides forfeited the last round but pro had this debate in the bag long before then. Cons entire argument against GTA V was a fear-mongering rant about how GTA V corrupts children and Pro easily tore apart con's rant by clarifying how kids can and are mature enough to enjoy the game without becoming psychotic. Arguments to the pro hands down