NatGolder
Samuel60

Grand Theft Auto is destroying kids lives

Started: 7/31/2014 Category: Games

NatGolder

Pro

Grand Theft Auto is a highly graphic game where you get experience and points for breaking the law and not getting caught by the police. It is giving children these days a horrible message and is just getting more advanced. This is a major problem as kids are not understanding or treating real life like a game. It is slowly brainwash the worlds youth. This is making the future something to truly fear.
Samuel60

Con

-First off, I would like to thank my opponent for choosing such an interesting topic to discuss.

Grand Theft Auto, as clearly stated before is a video game featuring violence, theft, murder, everything that has to do with breaking the law. In fact, the title of the game defines car theft.

I will be standing on the position that the game does both; it may affect the youths" minds in various ways and at the same time it could be played for enjoyment. Firstly, there are certain age categorizations for every video game at the market/industry. PEGI is a rating system based in Europe, it has categorized the age limits for the GTA series. Here is how PEGI rated the Grand Theft Auto series:

=607;Grand Theft Auto Advance - 16+ (15+ in Finland)
=607;Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - 18+
=607;Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories - 18+
=607;Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories - 18+
=607;Grand Theft Auto IV - 18+
=607;Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars - 18+

As you can see most of these games were rated 18 and above. Obviously, in some countries it would be prohibited for children to buy a game that is over their age level. Most parents (the ones that understand) choose not to buy such games for their children. Other parents, the ones that simply do not care and the ones that do not think about the consequences a video game could cause their child choose to buy these games for their kids.

http://gta.wikia.com...

I would have to say that the game might cause harm to a child's mind, but it is mostly the parent's fault. The parent was the one that bought the game in the first place. Also, sometimes stores could sell these video games to under age kids, but that is their fault. Once again, a child is never guilty; he/or she might be the one who choose/want to play a game, but parents are the ones that make the grand decisions for them.

Take a look at Adam Lansa. Adam Lansa did not play GTA, but he played Call of Duty. I am assuming that his knowledge in weaponry all came from that game.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk...

There were cases where kids played GTA and started to kill. GTA is not the only game out there that could cause psychological damage. An 8-year-old boy killed his own grandfather that is one case.

http://www.mirror.co.uk...

But not everything is based on one game. Kids would not just go out there and start violating laws just from playing one game. People who normally do that already have some sorts of psychological issues.
NatGolder

Pro

NatGolder forfeited this round.
Samuel60

Con

I maintain my position
NatGolder

Pro

NatGolder forfeited this round.
Samuel60

Con

I maintain my position.
NatGolder

Pro

NatGolder forfeited this round.
Samuel60

Con

Extend my arguments
NatGolder

Pro

NatGolder forfeited this round.
Samuel60

Con

Samuel60 forfeited this round.
Posted by Samuel60 2 years ago
Samuel60
I agree
Posted by Cmm6897 2 years ago
Cmm6897
I hate in this argument when people look at a shooting and say, oh well this male child was playing this game, because the majority of male children in the United States play some version of what is considered a violent video game, not to mention that mass murderers have existed for all of recorded history but the new availability of powerful weapons has simply brought them to a larger scale.
Posted by Joelronson 2 years ago
Joelronson
I think most young people who play Grand Theft Auto definitely don't start to treat life as a game of GTA! You're really underestimating the intelligence of teenagers and young adults if you think that the majority of them can't differentiate reality from a video game they enjoy playing. The only people who would actually try and imitate what goes on in Grand Theft Auto are people with psychological problems
Posted by PreferNotToBeLabeled 2 years ago
PreferNotToBeLabeled
Lol really? These games didn't destroy my life it improved it.
Posted by endorb 2 years ago
endorb
I would like to put forward that this is like how some people think if the only knowledge of the outside world is the news, than you'll assume the world is a horrible place. If you were to think about it, the fact that all the horrible things shown on the news would indicate that it's still not novel to society.
Posted by MyDinosaurHands 2 years ago
MyDinosaurHands
You'd have to be as dumb as Pro to not be able to distinguish the video game world from the real world, and their respective rules and consequences.