Dishoungh
Ozzyhead

Graphics don't matter in gaming.

Ozzyhead
Started: 3/5/2014 Category: Games

Dishoungh

Pro

Like seriously, graphics don't mean anything in games. They call them games for the GAMEPLAY not how pretty it looks. Yeah, I don't want a 2005 looking game, but I don't want a piece of garbage game either. I don't understand how people think that graphics are more important than its mechanics. That's a foolish opinion. I know the ideal of opinions are never wrong, but I've never anything so stupid than this. It's like saying, in movies, the action matters, not the storyline, narrating, or the acting. Looks can be deceiving especially in video games.
Ozzyhead

Con

The graphics in a game should be efficient enough so that a person can make out what certain objects in a game are. Besides the fact that good graphics have an almost realism effect, the good graphics contribute to better, more fluid motions in a game, and it makes it easier to make out an object, especially if said object is required to do a mission. A game using good graphics also makes a better view on certain things, for example, in a baseball video game, I don't want a stick looking bat, or a dot sized ball, or a rag covering a hand called a baseball glove; and in a war game, I don't want a stick with a trigger on it to be called an M16 rifle. There is a fascination with a real looking game, and the graphics do contribute to the realism. The right graphics are required for the right movements to look good, and for the movements being done to look fluid, and that we don't get confused about the movements. You wouldn't know, because people don't make games with such poor graphics, but a game with very poor graphics can look confusing, and cause such confusion in a person playing. And, if you are playing a football game or a wrestling game, watching someone go through the ball carrier or their opponent, which is caused by bad graphics, takes away from the fun of the game play.
Dishoungh

Pro

Yeah, I agree. Graphics are what makes games look realistic. But, let's be honest here, games are not meant to be realistic. Unless if you're playing a simulation, graphics should be the least of your concern. Ask yourself, is it a FUN GAME WITH REPLAY VALUE or is it a BORING CHORE AND A PAIN TO PLAY THROUGH? There are many boring but pretty games out there. Kill zone SF is a prime example. Killzone is not a bad game. It's just not a great game. Average and mediocre reviews. Not that much innovation. The devs just put way too much focus on the graphics to make it look like a movie. Games are not movies. If they were, then we would call them movies. On the other hand, look at games like Minecraft or Fallout or Deus Ex or Borderlands. Average visuals but amazing gameplay.

Now, don't take this debate the wrong way. I'm not against graphics. I just hate it when people think graphics are essential to a game's lifespan. Most successful games has both good gameplay AND graphics like Batman Arkham series, Far Cry, GTA V, and much more. But, keep this in mind, visuals doesn't mean better. Explosions doesn't mean better.
Ozzyhead

Con

While I agree that the game play is more important, the graphics do play a part in making it easier and more fun. I apologize for not knowing off hand, but I do remember a game that had poor graphics, though good game play, but the poor graphics took a lot away from it. It seemed like a well developed game, but when something caught on fire, the object was just surrounded by fire, and smoke coming off, but the object itself didn't catch on fire. And you say games aren't played for their realism, but besides simulations people do enjoy games such as Battlefield for its realism. Taking gravity and distance in to account when firing, and using team work to survive. No, the game isn't all real, but the game has it's real aspects that attract certain people. The graphics play a big part in this, too. And I agree graphics aren't the most important piece in video games, but this debate is over if graphics matter a lot in a game (actually according to the title, your position is that they don't matter at all, but your opening argument shows that it does play some part in the game). I never said, and I will never say, that graphics are the only important aspect. And you know what, I prefer an arcade game with poor graphics that's fun to play over a detailed down to the last dot that is a poor in game play. But the graphics do play an important role in games.
Dishoungh

Pro

I just now realized that the debate title is misleading since I meant graphics are not the only thing that matter. Plus I have a habit of changing my opinions and thoughts to match nearly everyone I encounter. Double plus, I was bored and couldn't think of a title to debate from. Triple plus, I'm new and this is my first debate. Before I end this debate, have any concluding statements?

I guess this concludes our debate then. Thanks for participating.
Ozzyhead

Con

My only conclusion is while you are right when you say graphics aren't the most important thing, they do play an important role in games
Dishoungh

Pro

Dishoungh forfeited this round.
Dishoungh

Pro

I don't see where to end the debate.
Ozzyhead

Con

I do. This was an interesting debate and I thank my opponent for making it and I hope to see him down the gaining road
Posted by Alloy 2 years ago
Alloy
Graphics do matter in gaming. But not really, sure we want are games to look good and clear so that we can play and "enjoy" visuals, but it all comes down to gameplay and maybe sometimes story. Lets say there's a new game that has the most advance graphics that no one has ever seen, in fact so advance that its almost like the game is real life, but the down side, the game is hard to control, glitches are all over the place, frames drop like crazy so crazy that the game stops freezes for a few seconds, or even errors. So to put it all aside. Yes graphics do matter, but we must not forget that controls and gameplay matter as well.
Posted by Jayanth421 2 years ago
Jayanth421
My First and Favorite game will always be Spyro Year of the Dragon. Bad graphics Great game.
Posted by MyDinosaurHands 2 years ago
MyDinosaurHands
Action can be more important than narrative. What if the fight scenes had sucked in the Bourne trilogy? The story was there to give a logical backdrop to the fighting, but at the end of the day what you take away are those awesome kick a$$ fight scenes.
Posted by Dakota713 2 years ago
Dakota713
Graphics should be a tool that helps with the overall enjoyment of the game, but not something that should take the spotlight from what is important such as the storyline and game play of the game. I wouldn't say graphics do not matter in gaming, but if someone is solely buying a game because of its graphics then in my eyes that person does not understand the passion of playing video games. An interesting point is that the graphics from the original xbox to the xbox 360 was more of a jump ( due to going from standard to high definition) then from the xbox 360 to the xbox one. Try this out and you will soon understand that graphics will be used less as an agreement between fan boys stating why their system is better then their rivals as time goes on. Take three pieces of paper and on the first paper draw five hundred circles. On the next sheet of paper draw five thousand circles. Lastly on the third piece of paper draw fifty thousand circles. The point of this is to demonstrate that our brains can clearly see the difference between the first and second pieces of paper (original xbox to xbox 360), but when looking at the second and third pieces of paper our brains have a harder time seeing the difference (xbox 360 to xbox one).
Vote Placed by Kreakin 2 years ago
Kreakin
DishounghOzzyheadTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ff. Obviously a major point ofthe games value comes from impressive artwork ie graphics. Con rightly pointed this out.Conduct Con for not Ff.S&G Con for not saying "like seriously".Arguments Con for being realistic.Sources tied.
Vote Placed by STALIN 2 years ago
STALIN
DishounghOzzyheadTied
Reasons for voting decision: This really felt tied.