Greatest Characters of Old Testament: 1

The Pro position, (mine) is that Delilah was a person whom we should want to follow. Her goals were correct. As always the Bible will be my main source of information. Con may use any source material of their choosing and good luck Con.

Opening Argument: Delilah may just be the greatest woman in the entire Old Testament. Now a good question might be-

Why would one of the best women all time Old Testament want to see someone like Sampson destroyed? Why would she want that?

Delilah was a whore. Why would you want to follow a whore as your example?

Well Con-
You have made an ugly accusation. Since you have provided us with no source material to prove your dribble then that must mean that you are an eye witness to the account of Sampson and his follies.

The 'W' word has been brought up by my opponent so let me provide some source material-

Con, when you sat in Sunday school or Saturday school, who did the teacher tell you was the legal authority during the time of Sampson?

(This is a simple question. It is in keeping with your number #.)

Delilah was a whore. She sold herself out as a whore. She sold Samson out as a whore. Samson fell for her because he loved her and she was nothing but a whore. Yes, it's an ugly accusation, but it is an accurate one. The story of Delilah the cowardly whore is found in Judges 16. Verse 5: "And the lords of the Philistines came up unto her, and said unto her, Entice him, and see wherein his great strength lieth, and by what means we may prevail against him, that we may bind him to afflict him: and we will give thee every one of us eleven hundred pieces of silver." Delilah was a whore pimped out by the Philistines as a tool to subdue Samson.

Examples of honorable women in the Bible would be Deborah, who went into battle fearing no man and confident in God to the shame of Barak who refused to go into battle if she would not go. Deborah told Barak it would be to his shame that a woman led the battle, and she went to war and the battle was won. Deborah and Delilah were both "W"s. One was a warrior and the other one was a whore.

The story of Deborah can be read in the Book of Judges, chapters 4 and 5 in the Bible.

Another great woman in contrast to the whore, Delilah, was Ruth. Ruth was a Moabite. Moabites were forbidden from entering into the Israel congregation (Deut. 23:3). When Ruth's husband died, she clung to her mother-in-law, Naomi, who was an Israelite and returned from the country of Moab to Israel when she heard that the LORD had relieved the famine that had overshadowed Israel. Naomi advised her daughter in laws to stay in Moab where they would be provided for under the estates of their deceased husbands, but Ruth loved Naomi and refused to turn back saying "Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God shall be my God: Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so unto me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.
After they came into Israel, Ruth asked permission to go out with the gleaners to gather the remains after harvest which was by law a provision for the poor in Israel. Ruth happened to get to glean in the field of a rich relative of Naomi, Boaz. She caught Boaz's eye, she must have been very beautiful. She had been working hard from the morning on, desiring to earn her keep with Naomi in the land of Israel where she was not supposed to be allowed as a Moabitess. Boaz charged her to not go to any other field other than his to glean, and he charged the young men not to touch her, and to allow her to drink from their water. Ruth fell on her face and bowed herself to the ground asking why she had found favor since she was a stranger. Boaz answered her: " It hath fully been shewed me, all that thou hast done unto thy mother in law since the death of thine husband: and how thou hast left thy father and thy mother, and the land of thy nativity, and art come unto a people which thou knewest not heretofore. The LORD recompense thy work, and a full reward be given thee of the LORD God of Israel, under whose wings thou art come to trust" As the story goes on, Ruth saw her opportunity and won Boaz's heart and full commitment to marry her. "And now, my daughter, fear not; I will do to thee all that thou requires: for all the city of my people doth know that thou art a virtuous woman.", said Boaz.
Ruth was virtuous and honorable, driven by her love for her mother-in-law to leave her own people, and God rewarded her for her courage and virtue.

Ruth was an honorable woman of virtue, Delilah sold out like a whore sells out for her pimp.

These are two great women of the Bible who stand in stark contrast to the whore, Delilah. There are more. Delilah was a coward who sold out for money. Delilah played the whore to Samson, and Samson was blind in his love for her to the point that he paid the whore with his most precious secret, the secret of his strength, and Samson fell captive and paid with the plucking out of his eyes; the eyes that should have seen that Delilah was playing the whore on him as she tried to discover the secret of his great strength.

Can my opponent explain why Delilah should be held up as a great woman of the Bible who set a good example to follow? Why in the world would anybody want to follow the example of a cowardly whore like Delilah?

The story of Ruth is found in the Book of Ruth in the Bible,

The debate here is not about the legal authority during the time of Samson. The debate is about the character of Delilah, and who would be the greatest character of the Old Testament. Whoever the greatest character of the Old Testament is, it certainly is not Delilah the Whore. She was nothing but a lying whore, loved by Samson who fell for her like a fool. Delilah got paid by her pimps in silver, and Samson paid with the loss of his eyes for his blind love of a whore.

Here is where the 'p' in sampson comes in-

Chauvinist pig joke-

"Women, you can't live with them...and they can't 'p' standing up."

Here is the 'W'ebster definition of entice, (it ain't got nothing to do with 'W')-

"To attract (someone) especially by offering or showing something that is appealing, interesting, etc."

And it came to pass on the seventh day, that they said to Samson's wife, Entice your husband, that he may declare to us the riddle, lest we burn you and your father's house with fire: have you called us to take that we have? is it not so? (Judges 14:15)

sampson's wife enticed him. This verse right here proves that the word 'entice' does not mean 'W'.

Now it is true that sampson liked the ladies. But sampson did not like the Israelite ladies. So sorry Con about all those others that you have tried to bring into this debate. sampson says those there women just don't measure up to someone like Delilah. And you know what Con? sampson is not the only one. The Gentile Church has been called the 'W' word. But our Lord and Husband says different. He gave His very life to save us here 'W's. Why He has even enticed us to 'come and dine'.

Samson was a playboy and he was wrong to fall for Delilah the whore. The debate is not about Samson. Quoting you from round 1, , this is what the debate is about: "The Pro position, (mine) is that Delilah was a person whom we should want to follow. Her goals were correct. As always the Bible will be my main source of information. The Title of the Debate is "Greatest Characters of the Old Testament, and your main premise holds Delilah the Whore to be one of the greatest. Showing that Samson was a playboy does not make Delilah the Whore a great character. It only proves that one sleazy character fell for another sleazy character. There are many heroic characters, male and female, with completely or nearly spotless records of the greatness of their character. Do you really think Delilah the Whore was one of the greatest characters of the Old Testament? Is that the kind of character you would want your wife or daughter to emulate? That seems to me like some very twisted reasoning to call a Whore admirable when she was no better than the playboy you are comparing her to.

Delilah was not Sampson's wife, She was only a whore. Samson's wife was not much better than Delilah the whore because she sold Samson out in fear of men who threatened her in order to get her to find out the answer to Samson's riddle so the playboy would lose a bet. Samson made a very poor choice for a wife (his wife's name was never even mentioned) Samson had a bad habit of messing around with sleazy women who had no qualms about selling him out.
Samson was no judge of character. Samson was a playboy and his poor judgement led him to fall for sleazy women.
The fact that Samson did not choose women with good character as his companions does not make a whore into something good.

The story of Samson's wife and how she sold out Samson is told in Judges chapter 14.

To the Voters.

If Deborah and Ruth were not great characters of the Old testament, and you are holding up terrible examples of sleazy character embodied in Samson and Delilah as "great", then you have to vote in favor of my opponent. If you have any sense of decency, you cannot possibly award any kind of a win to my opponent in this debate.

To the voters who have a sense of decency, I'm sorry for taking this debate and being involved in leading people to read such a sick arguments from my opponent in favor of whoredom and whore mongering.
Posted by pivot 2 years ago
yes there is a 'p'. Delilah found it. can't you?
Posted by nzlockie 2 years ago
Again, no "p" in Samson.
Posted by pivot 2 years ago
the best con has to proving the 'w' word on Delilah was the company that she kept. when he wasn't breaking heads with donkey jaws he was out burning the midnight oil. but that does not mean Delilah was a 'w'. it only means sampson was a scoundrel.
Posted by nzlockie 2 years ago
"Whore" might be a little harsh. She was weak in that she gave in to the Philistine's demands, but there's no evidence that she was a prostitute.
You make yourself look like a fool when you exaggerate and use such emotive language.

Also, SAMSON guys, there's no p.
Posted by schachdame 2 years ago
A bloody donkey jaw. And I am not being British.
Posted by schachdame 2 years ago
Sampson is probably my favourite. What about that time he beat half an army to death with a donkey jaw?
Posted by johnlubba 2 years ago
Good debate topic, if I was to take this I would pick, Job.
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con called Deborah a whore. Con showed other women who achieved more, such as Ruth.