Tophatdoc
Mikal

Greatest Movie Speeches

Mikal

Tophatdoc

Pro

In every round, my opponent and I will post a speech from a movie in every round, either by video or the transcript. The voters will decide who posted the best speeches.Also to be noted, all foreign speeches require English subtitles to be fair.

First round is the acceptance.
Mikal

Con

I accept this debate :)
Tophatdoc

Pro

Thanks to the Con side for accepting this debate.

I will start off with one of my personal favorites from Glengarry Ross. Alec Baldwin's character Blake is sent from "Downtown" in order to motivate the salesmen to work harder. Baldwin mercilessly abuses the sales men with this piece of angry rhetoric. Here is a sample from the video:

"You got leads, Mitch and Murray paid good money. Get their names to sell them. You can't close the leads your given, you can't close ****, you are ****, hit the bricks pal and beat it because your are going out!"
Mikal

Con

https://www.youtube.com...

Sons of Gondor! Of Rohan! My brothers. I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of Men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the Age of Men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!

This was aragon addressing his soldiers at the black gates in the light of the battle with Sargon. It was one of the most epic fantasy speechers ever given. I remember seeing in theatres and gettign chills in my bones. It was deilviered perfectly and is one speech that rings in the movie realm as the best ever.
Tophatdoc

Pro

Gordon Gekko's speech from Wall Street is still infamous till this day. The morals of the speech still ring true today. Management in many corporations are unaccountable to the stockholder as Gekko points out.

"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures, the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge, has marked the upward surge of mankind and greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the U.S.A"
Mikal

Con

https://www.youtube.com...

This is from brave heart, when William Wallace beckons his brothers in arms to stand up against the oppression they are facing. He pleads with them that running may save their lives but fighting will save their lives, and their grandchildren's lives. It is one of the most noted speeches in history.
Tophatdoc

Pro

Tyler Durden in Fight Club discussing modern society. Tyler Durden attacks consumerism and the role males have in modern society. This is why Americans were setting up these underground fight clubs in the late 90s.

"Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives."
Mikal

Con

https://www.youtube.com...

Probably one of the best speeches ever written if not the best and sadly one of the most under heard. It is AL Pacino pumping up a football team to get ready to win their last game. It is a speech of football and life. It is heart churning.
Tophatdoc

Pro

Sean Penn plays Willie Stark, a hick running for governor. Stark was supposed to be a candidate to split the "hick" vote in order to allow another candidate to win the election. But Stark revolts from his original sponsors and runs for governor to win.As he says he is trying to "nail up these parasites."

"Now listen to me, you hicks. Yeah, you're hicks too, and they fooled you a thousand times like they fooled me. But this time, I'm going to fool somebody. I'm going to stay in this race. I'm on my own and I'm out for blood. "

I would like to thank my opponent for participating. If you believe that the Pro side has provided better speeches, vote Pro.

https://www.youtube.com...
Mikal

Con

https://www.youtube.com...

From the movie Patton.

Another amazing speech that has not been heard. He rallies the troops in defense of American Pride.
Posted by Tophatdoc 3 years ago
Tophatdoc
@Nobodyisright We were only doing movie speeches. In my "Greatest Political Speeches" debate, my opponent posted the Reagan speech. I would suggest checking out that debate if you like this one.
Posted by Nobodyisright 3 years ago
Nobodyisright
The best speech is definitely either Jack Nicholson in a few good men (court scene) or Ronald Reagan's We Must Fight speech.
Posted by Tophatdoc 3 years ago
Tophatdoc
Regrettably, I didn't know my opponent had ESP. I was contemplating on picking Patton back in round 3.
Vote Placed by TrueScotsman 3 years ago
TrueScotsman
TophatdocMikalTied
Reasons for voting decision: Very much so enjoyed this debate, and while I believe Con provide more of the "feel good" type of speeches, I believe Pro's were extremely well written (the Glengarry Glen Ross Speech is utterly brilliant). However, due to the caliber of both, I cannot award points either way. Good debate!
Vote Placed by ConservativePolitico 3 years ago
ConservativePolitico
TophatdocMikalTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both sides provided powerful speeches but I believe Con had the edge. Con wins Rounds 2, 3 and 5. Con's speeches evoke more emotion (in me, as obviously any good speech is subjective) and give a more powerful feeling. It was a close debate and not much in the way of sources, spelling etc. so I will only be awarding points for arguments. PS. The Aragon speech is one of my favorites of all time. Gives me goosebumps.