Greatest Political Speeches II

In every round, my opponent and I will post a speech made by a historical figure in every round, either by video, text, or both. The voters will decide who posted the best speeches.Also to be noted, all foreign speech videos require English subtitles or English text to be fair.

Debate Structure
Round 1-1950s speeches only
Round 2- 1930s speeches only
Round 3-19th century speeches only
Round 4-1970s speeches only
Round 5-1960s speeches only

My first speech will be Joseph McCarthy's Republican National Convention speech in 1952. This is when McCarthy was warning the American population about the dangers of Communism. The footage is from the end of the speech it seems.

Senator McCarthy:
As we approach the all important November elections, all Americans, Democrats and Republicans alike, must keep in mind all the facts as they are and not the facts as we would wish them to be. Even though those facts may be well at heart.

Fact number one, we are at war today, war in Korea, but the Korean War was merely a small phase of the great world war with the atheistic Communist.

Fact number two, for the past 7 years we have been losing that world war, at the rate of nearly one hundred million people a year. Not one hundred thousand, but losing nearly one hundred million people a year to atheistic Communist.

Fact number three, the day of July 9th 1952, the same man, the same men who delivered nearly half of the world to Communist Russia, are still in control in Washington. There has been no change; the same men are doing your planning. The same planners who were in control before 1945, 1945 when we were the most powerful nation on earth, 1945 when all we needed, all we needed was our unlimited military and economic power, with enough brains, enough honesty, enough loyalty to have restored a decent and peaceful world. But what happened, instead, instead we have allowed Communism to spread its dark shadow over half of Europe, and almost all of Asia, and for the first time, for the first time they are appearing on the pages of America"s history. Words such as "stalemate," "retreat," "compromise," well Truman says, Truman says that the Democratic Party must run on its record. To that I say amen, so they must.

Now why ladies and gentlemen, why has this administration deliberately built up Russia, while tearing down the strength of America, I have been proving that this was because of a combination, a combination of abysmal stupidity and treason, and if I am wrong, if I am wrong, if no treason is involved, if the last traitor left, if the last traitor left is Alger Hiss, then the only answer, the only answer for our loss and for Russia"s gain, is that those in power are guilty of stumbling, fumbling incompetence.

But in either event, whether we are losing because of treason or because of stupidity, if America and her sons are to live, send that Yalta around, unintelligible and unintelligible must go my young friends. My good friends, I say one communist, one Communist the defense plants is one Communist too many. One Communist on the faculty of one university is one Communist too many. One Communist among the American advisers at Yalta was one Communist too many. And even if there were only one Communist in the State Department, that would still be one Communist too many

I will accept your challenge. I accepted the challenge because I have aspirations to either become a history teacher or lawyer. It is a topic that is not normal seen; which I respect and admire. Good luck to you. My first speech from 1950's will be from Richard Nixon. At the time of the speech, Nixon served as the vice president for then president Dwight D. Eisenhower. To save his position with Eisenhower for another term, Nixon made this speech entitled: My Side of The Story (The Checkers Speech)

Interesting choice. For my second choice I will choose Kingfish, Huey Long. Huey Long's share the wealth speech to these Congressional interns is my choice.
Here is a sample of a part of the speech. The full speech is in the link provided.
Senator Long:
"How many men ever went to a barbecue and would let one man take off the table what's intended for 9/10th of the people to eat? The only way to be able to feed the balance of the people is to make that man come back and bring back some of that grub that he ain't got no business with!"

As I contemplate what speech to do next, Huey Long was the first person that came to mind. Even though Long was at the time very successful, I decided to get with FDR. In Chicago, FDR Quarantine speech was in 1937. The speech was about keeping peace in the United States. I am certain that you will like this speech. Here is the link:

My next choice is William Jennings Bryan's "Cross of Gold" speech in 1896 at the Democratic National Convention. The speech helped to dismantle the Populist Party's opposition when Bryan secured the Democratic candidacy.

Very Interesting speech. I will still never understand how William J. Bryan never became president. For my speech of the 19th century, I selected is: "Ain't I A Woman-Sojourner Truth The speech is about slavery and the rights of women. Despite the speech being short, women such as Truth started feminist movements in America.

I haven't heard that speech before. I will choose a less radical speech this time. I have chosen former Vice President Spiro Agnew's "Generation Gap" speech which he gave to a Republican dinner in Houston 1970. Agnew is referring to the radicals that became popular in 1967 ranging from hippies, yippies, anti-Vietnam War protesters, and others.

Here is a sample of the speech. The full speech is in the link I have provided.

Vice President Agnew:
"Education is being redefined at the demand of the uneducated to suit the ideas of the uneducated. The student now goes to college to proclaim, rather than to learn. The lessons of the past are ignored and obliterated, and a contemporary antagonism known as 'The Generation Gap.'"

I have never heard of the previous speech you listed above. After I post my next speech, I will look into that speech, The next speech I will use is Jimmy Carter's A Crisis of Confidence. Despite not being a very famous speech, it really drives home the point on how important saving energy is. It is good to see president's stand up for what they believe in. It gives them more confidence and a better leader. Here is the speech A Crisis of Confidence- Jimmy Carter July 1979

The Jimmy Carter speech sums up the aura that his administration gave off to the American public. The "Crisis of Confidence" speech is also known as the "Malaise" speech.

My last choice is Nikita Khrushchev's 1960 United Nations speech. Better known as the speech where Khrushchev said the phrase "We will bury you!" He also took it upon himself to bang his shoe on the lectern while giving his speech.Nikita Khrushchev was the Premier of the USSR. Khrushchev was giving a speech to the UN denouncing colonialism and what he considers American "imperialism." The United Nations at this time was having a fierce debate on what they should do in relation to the Congo Crisis. Khrushchev was giving his opinion in his speech about what should be done. The video I provided contains some parts of the speech but not all.

My last speech will be "I Have A Dream"-Martin Luther King, Jr. Despite King not being a politician, the civil rights movement was an important time in American history. For two decades (1950-1970), politics was based on the opinion about Civil Rights. It shaped as politics for two decades; therefore i consider this to be both a Civil Rights and Political speech.
Posted by Tophatdoc 2 years ago
William Jennings Bryan did not stand a chance at winning urban votes. Bryan was popular among rural voters in the South and Midwest. Plus he lacked the "robber barons'"support.
Vote Placed by Subutai 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: In my opinion, pro had better speeches in rounds 1, 3, 4, and 5, and therefore, gets my vote.