Tophatdoc
Wylted

Greatest Political Speeches III

Wylted

Tophatdoc

Pro

In every round, my opponent and I will post a speech made by a historical figure in every round, either by video, text, or both. The voters will decide who posted the best speeches overall. Also to be noted, all foreign speech videos require English subtitles or English text to be fair.

Debate Structure
Round 1-1930s speeches only
Round 2- 1990s speeches only
Round 3-18th century speeches only
Round 4-19th century speeches only
Round 5-1970s-1980s speeches only

My first speech will be President Franklin D Roosevelt's Inaugural address in 1933. This speech takes place during the Depression. FDR talks about the United States will endure the problems it faces.

Speech Highlight:
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"

http://historymatters.gmu.edu...

Wylted

Con

This speach was filmed in 1939 sometime after September. The Film was released in 1940. It's a great speach due to its early warning about the danger of nazis and Hitler. The speach is not in a foreign language. It's a parody of Hitler and in gibberish. Chaplin pretty much sacrificed his career in Hollywood to warn people of HItler.

Source

http://www.cracked.com...

Yes I know this I'm using a comedy site as a source. The point of the source is to highlight the historical context and ramifications of the speach.

Highlight of the speech- Chaplin pours a cup of water down his pants.
Tophatdoc

Pro

My second choice will be Pat Buchanan's 1992 "Culture War" speech at the Republican National Convention. Buchanan had ran in the primary against "King" George Bush and lost. But the speech by Buchanan at the RNC was emotional, captivating, and the best speech of any convention that year.

Speech Highlights:
"When Bill Clinton's time came in Vietnam, he sat up in a dormitory room in Oxford, England, and figured out how to dodge the draft."

"For any man to call this a record of failure is the cheap political rhetoric of politicians who know only how to build themselves up by tearing America down"

"Bill Clinton"s foreign policy experience is pretty much confined to having had breakfast once at the International House of Pancakes. "

"Hillary has compared marriage and the family as institutions to slavery and life on an Indian reservation. Well, speak for yourself, Hillary."

Note: I don't think Charlie Chaplin is a historical figure giving a speech in that clip. Considering he is playing the role of a fictitious character.
Wylted

Con

Let address the attack of Chaplin as not be a historical giving a great political speech. The speech may have been satire but it was political. Chaplin went from being merely the greatest physical actor of all time to being a genuine hero and worthy of historical figure status after making it. This guy was a world famous actor with everything to lose. Despite having everything to lose, he decided to proceed and bring awareness to the fact that Hitler was a bad and dangerous guy. This hero lost his career, and put himself in great physical danger in an effort to prevent the holocaust.

Let's contrast Chaplin risking everything he has to give a speech to bring down an evil dictator and prevent the holocaust, and Roosevelt (a great orator, so everything he says sounds awesome) , giving a speech that can be summed up as, " stick in there guys we'll get through these rough times".

A lot of people consider Roosevelt to be a hero but make no mistake that speech wasn't heroic. Where as Chaplin risked everything to try to bring down an evil villain.

For the 90s I chose Nelson Mandela's inaugural speech I have included text and a video because his accent can be hard to understand at times.

Mandela despite how heavily he was persecuted took the opportunity to bring a message of coming together to make the world a better place, as opposed to lashing out at his tormentors.

Text as delivered by Nelson Mandela in Pretoria, South Africa on May 10, 1994:

Your Majesties, Your Highnesses, Distinguished Guests, Comrades and Friends:

Today, all of us do, by our presence here, and by our celebrations in other parts of our country and the world,confer glory and hope to newborn liberty.

Out of the experience of an extraordinary human disaster that lasted too long, must be born a society of which all humanity will be proud.

Our daily deeds as ordinary South Africans must produce an actual South African reality that will reinforce humanity's belief in justice, strengthen its confidence in the nobility of the human soul and sustain all our hopes for a glorious life for all.

All this we owe both to ourselves and to the peoples of the world who are so well represented here today.

To my compatriots, I have no hesitation in saying that each one of us is as intimately attached to the soil of this beautiful country as are the famous jacaranda trees of Pretoria and the mimosa trees of the bushveld.

Each time one of us touches the soil of this land, we feel a sense of personal renewal. The national mood changes as the seasons change.

We are moved by a sense of joy and exhilaration when the grass turns green and the flowers bloom.

That spiritual and physical oneness we all share with this common homeland explains the depth of the pain we all carried in our hearts as we saw our country tear itself apart in a terrible conflict, and as we saw it spurned, outlawed and isolated by the peoples of the world, precisely because it has become the universal base of the pernicious ideology and practice of racism and racial oppression.

We, the people of South Africa, feel fulfilled that humanity has taken us back into its bosom, that we, who were outlaws not so long ago, have today been given the rare privilege to be host to the nations of the world on our own soil.

We thank all our distinguished international guests for having come to take possession with the people of our country of what is, after all, a common victory for justice, for peace, for human dignity.

We trust that you will continue to stand by us as we tackle the challenges of building peace, prosperity, non-sexism,non-racialism and democracy.

We deeply appreciate the role that the masses of our people and their political mass democratic, religious, women, youth,business, traditional and other leaders have played to bring about this conclusion. Not least among them is my Second Deputy President, the Honourable F.W. de Klerk.

We would also like to pay tribute to our security forces, in all their ranks, for the distinguished role they have played in securing our first democratic elections and the transition to democracy, from blood-thirsty forces which still refuse to see the light.

The time for the healing of the wounds has come.

The moment to bridge the chasms that divide us has come.

The time to build is upon us.

We have, at last, achieved our political emancipation. We pledge ourselves to liberate all our people from the continuing bondage of poverty, deprivation, suffering, gender and other discrimination.

We succeeded to take our last steps to freedom in conditions of relative peace. We commit ourselves to the construction of a complete, just and lasting peace.

We have triumphed in the effort to implant hope in the breasts of the millions of our people. We enter into a covenant that we shall build the society in which all South Africans, both black and white, will be able to walk tall, without any fear in their hearts, assured of their inalienable right to human dignity - a rainbow nation at peace with itself and the world.

As a token of its commitment to the renewal of our country,the new Interim Government of National Unity will, as a matter of urgency, address the issue of amnesty for various categories of our people who are currently serving terms of imprisonment.

We dedicate this day to all the heroes and heroines in this country and the rest of the world who sacrificed in many ways and surrendered their lives so that we could be free.

Their dreams have become reality. Freedom is their reward.

We are both humbled and elevated by the honour and privilege that you, the people of South Africa, have bestowed on us, as the first President of a united, democratic, non-racial and non-sexist South Africa, to lead our country out of the valley of darkness.

We understand it still that there is no easy road to freedom.

We know it well that none of us acting alone can achieve success.

We must therefore act together as a united people, for national reconciliation, for nation building, for the birth of a new world.

Let there be justice for all.

Let there be peace for all.

Let there be work, bread, water and salt for all.

Let each know that for each the body, the mind and the soul have been freed to fulfill themselves.

Never, never and never again shall it be that this beautiful land will again experience the oppression of one by another and suffer the indignity of being the skunk of the world.

Let freedom reign.

The sun shall never set on so glorious a human achievement!

God bless Africa!

Thank you,
Tophatdoc

Pro

My choice for the 18th century speech will be one of the most famous speeches in American history. I am referrring to Patrick Henry's speech given to the Virginia Convention in 1775. Also known as the "Give me liberty or Give me death" speech. This is considered to be one of the greatest speeches in American history. Patrick Henry was gave this speech to echoe the sentiments of a significant Americans to the British parliament and the Crown that was the had of the state.

Speech highlights:
"'Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death![1]"

[1]http://www.history.org...

Wylted

Con

This is a speech William Wilberforce gave, educating people on the horrors of slave trade that weren't obvious to the public at the time. This mans used his power and influence to end the slave trade in Great Britain.

.http://www.bbc.co.uk...
Tophatdoc

Pro

My 19th century speech will be President Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address speech delivered in 1863. This speech is what ended slavery in the United States. It is the most famous American Civil War speech. President Lincoln by giving this speech made it clear that slavery was going to have to end with the Civil War.

Speech Highlight:
"But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here."

[1]http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org...

Wylted

Con

Great speech by Lincoln. It's very moving and poetic.

This speech I chose Susan B. Anthony,

This is a controversial topic because of all the women at college campuses who seem to be against women's suffrage. I hope people can put personal beliefs aside about the suffrage of women and judge this speech on its quality.

Note: the first video isn't a speech. It's a source for the above paragraph skip it if it doesn't interest you.

"Susan B. Anthony was fined $100 for casting an illegal ballot in the 1872 presidential election. Seething at the injustice, she embarked on a speaking tour in support of female voting rights, during which she gave this speech. The 19th Amendment enfranchised women in 1920. Anthony never paid the fine."

http://content.time.com...

Speech highlight: "It was we, the people; not we, the white male citizens; nor yet we, the male citizens; but we, the whole people, who formed the Union. And we formed it, not to give the blessings of liberty, but to secure them; not to the half of ourselves and the half of our posterity, but to the whole people " women as well as men."
Tophatdoc

Pro

My last speech will be Ronald Reagan's impromptu speech to the Republican National Convention in 1976. Reagan gave the speech after he lost the primaries to President Gerald Ford. This speech would help to begin to pave the way for Reagan's election in four years.

Speech Highlight:
"And suddenly it dawned on me, those who would read this letter a hundred years from now will know whether those missiles were fired. They will know whether we met our challenge. Whether they have the freedoms that we have known up until now will depend on what we do here.

Will they look back with appreciation and say, "Thank God for those people in 1976 who headed off that loss of freedom, who kept us now 100 years later free, who kept our world from nuclear destruction"?

And if we failed, they probably won't get to read the letter at all because it spoke of individual freedom, and they won't be allowed to talk of that or read of it."

[1]http://www.nationalcenter.org...

Note: I would like to thank my opponent for participating in this debate. If you believe that I as Pro have presented higher quality speeches, Vote Pro.

Wylted

Con

This is Margaret Thatcher's famous not for turning speech. I'm just going to let this one speek for it's self.

When the voters are voting on this debate I ask that you not only look at each speech side by side, but to also zoom out and look at each group of speeches in comparison to each other. If you the voter were going to have your own list of great political speeches which list as a whole would you be more proud of?
Posted by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
@imabench thank you for not letting this debate remain unvoted.
Posted by Tophatdoc 3 years ago
Tophatdoc
Easy, Fidel Castro's Mariel speech. There are others as well.
Posted by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
Who else could you possibly counter Reagen with?
Posted by Tophatdoc 3 years ago
Tophatdoc
I liked your last choice quite a bit.
Posted by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
Awesome I'm just making sure its not discredited because one discredited speech would lose this match for me.
Posted by Tophatdoc 3 years ago
Tophatdoc
That was fast. I didn't consider you adding Chaplin that big of problem. That is why I just added a little note at the end.
Posted by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
Sorry the 90's will take me a little longer.
Posted by Tophatdoc 3 years ago
Tophatdoc
I won't be trying to put up 3 videos at once again............
Posted by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
The second I figure out how to imbed video I will respond. This shouldn't take me too long.
Vote Placed by progressivedem22 3 years ago
progressivedem22
TophatdocWyltedTied
Reasons for voting decision: Very good speeches, but here's how I based my vote: Round 1 to Pro, Rounds 2 and 3 to Con, and 4 and 5 were a tie. So, the score was 2-1-2 in favor of Con. Very good debate, though.
Vote Placed by imabench 3 years ago
imabench
TophatdocWyltedTied
Reasons for voting decision: Round 1 went to pro............ Round 2 went to con............. Round 3 went back to pro........... Round 4 also went to pro......... And round 5 was meh. Final score to me was 3-1, so thats how I vote :P