Tophatdoc
JackFritschy

Greatest Political Speeches

Tophatdoc

Pro

In every round, my opponent and I will post a speech made by a historical figure in every round, either by video or text. The voters will decide who posted the best speeches.Also to be noted, all foreign speeches require English subtitles to be fair.

First round is the acceptance.
JackFritschy

Con

You are on.
Tophatdoc

Pro

Thanks for your acceptance.

I will start with a well known speech. My first pick is President Barack Obama's Iowa caucus speech when he was first running for the Democratic presidential nomination. Obama mixed up some Latin or oratorical devices with the Anglo-Saxon umph(two or three syllable words being stressed). It is one of his most famous speeches.
JackFritschy

Con

Ronald Reagan's "A Time For Choosing." Spoke in 1964 in support of Barry Goldwater's presidential campaign. This speech is loaded with imagery and rings of so much emotion.
Tophatdoc

Pro

Interesting choice. My second choice will be Pat Buchanan's 1992 "Culture War" speech at the Republican National Convention. Buchanan had ran in the primary against George Bush and lost. But the speech by Buchanan at the RNC was emotional, captivating, and the best speech of the convention that year. I would say it is one of the best convention speeches in the last half century. There are too many high quality memorable lines to choose from in the speech. For example, "When Bill Clinton's time came in Vietnam, he sat up in a dormitory room in Oxford, England, and figured out how to dodge the draft."
JackFritschy

Con

http://m.youtube.com...

Enoch powwels rivers of blood speech. Spoken against new immagration. The whole speech wasn't recorded so ill give you the transcript as well. http://www.telegraph.co.uk...
Tophatdoc

Pro

The Roman Senate was considered a place where oratory flourished. The one of the most notable senators was Marcus Tulius Cicero. Marcus Tulius Cicero is considered one of the greatest orators of all time. Most notably, Cicero's vicious criticism of Catliline. Catiline's coup was exposed as a result of this speech.

http://ancienthistory.about.com...
JackFritschy

Con

Roman oratory is always good. Unfourtunetly, thats one of the only speeches of the senate in video format. My next speech is the "extremism in defence of liberty speech" by Barry Goldwater. Its a real call to arms speech that roused up the delagates. The one problem is the excess clapping inturupts the speech!
Tophatdoc

Pro

It was an interesting speech by Goldwater but I think Rockefeller's speech in 64' was better, personally.

Adolf Hitler is considered by many to be the greatest of orators in the 20th century. Here is his speech at Seimens Factory in 1933.
JackFritschy

Con

Well I was going to do Hitler as well. Dosnt everyone? So ill give you another speech. Hubert Humphrey 1948 dnc. In the speech he speeks in favor of civil rights to a divided party. During the speech, he even sweat on his paper!
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
sorry I missed the voting window on this.