tarison2
DetectableNinja

Greece should be kicked out of the euro

tarison2
Started: 6/30/2011 Category: Economics

tarison2

Pro

Greece has already been paid billions of euros already ,causing the whole of europe to go in to turmoil . Spain and portugal are VERY close to Greece's postion and we do Not want the euro to go into crisis ,it is suffering at the moment and we dont want all the euro to go as well . We need steady economies int the euro not weak ones !!
If we did it would just dissapear anyway because they are in so much debt it just wont work .
DetectableNinja

Con

Before I begin, I'd like to say that I am rather excited to take part in this debate--being my first. As well, while I AM an American, I hope to look at this from a different angle.

Greece's economy, which as we all know, has caused near social collapse, would most likely fall even further into its economic collapse should it be removed from the EU. One may respond by saying "Yes, but that wouldn't affect the EU any more." However, should Greece's economy worsen even more (caused by its leaving of the EU), the current government could easily be overthrown by an anarchist or communist revolution. This in and of itself could create more issues in Europe.

On a side argument, Greece, according to Pro's argument, should only be looked at as a simple financial asset--in other words, because it's economy is in the dumps, it should immediately be punished. However, what Pro seems to forget is the contributions Greece has made to Europe as a whole in the past: Greece was the birthplace of integral aspects of Europe, such as Democracy, and major philisohphical strides in general, as well as economic (regardless of current economic situations.) Therefore, it would seem that pushing the Greeks out of the EU would betray what the EU actually is--a union, that is meant to benefit and help all of its members, not to banish any country which lags behind.

I look forward to hearing from Pro and hearing the rebuttal.
tarison2

Pro

Thank you for joining my debate as it is also my first debate and would like to wish good look to both .

I believe Con has made a major error in reading my original argument, it is about being kicked out of the euro zone NOT the EU. I believe that Greece should stay in the EU as it will need as much support as possible as it is a founder of the union,but the Euro zone is a financial based organisation to ensure Europe's economy can flourish and to keep Europe in the world market. This point can be reinforced with China's economy getting ever larger as well as Brazil and India pushing Europe out of the way. We are looking at the bigger picture and unfortunately Greece will have to be the sacrifice to keep the Euro floating. Remember Spain and Portugal are also suffering although they are still going ,surely the Euro should focus their efforts on keeping countries out of Greece's position ?

I am defiantly not suggesting that Greece should be allowed to be left on the side . The IMF can help it along and Greece can be allowed to take its time to recover in its own economy .

I look forward to the oppositions Rebuttal
DetectableNinja

Con

Ah. Well, thank you for clarifying. And so, I hate to disappoint, but I feel that I haven't enough information on this subject at this time to continue. I withdraw my argument and forfeit the debate.

However, I WOULD suggest re-posting this same debate--I'm sure that there will be someone else with a bit more knowledge to debate said topic.

Again, I apologize.

tarison2

Pro

Okay, fair enough. I end this debate.
Thank you for joining.
DetectableNinja

Con

As I said, I must forfeit.
Vote Placed by baggins 6 years ago
baggins
tarison2DetectableNinjaTied
Reasons for voting decision: 2:0 to Pro. He won on arguments. But it was weak win, which does not merit full points. I think he should re-post the debate.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
tarison2DetectableNinjaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.
Vote Placed by GMDebater 6 years ago
GMDebater
tarison2DetectableNinjaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeits. Good debate; yes, Greece should be kicked out of the euro...it is demolishing the euro's value HOWEVER, on the flip side, if every country was kicked out when facing economic ruin there would be no more euro