Mathlover
Preston

Greece should exit the Euro

Preston

Mathlover

Con

Hello everyone, today, I'm going to supporting the Negative case on this debate.
So it comes to my attention that right now, Greece wants to leave Europe. I think not.
Disadvantage 1
The food that Greece makes is not enough for Greece because 90% of all the food they have is imported out to other countries. Leaving just makes it worse.
Disadvantage 2
Greece is known for its corrupt society and they cannot go away from the Eurozone because of how much debt they owe and the way they can survive.

Counterplan
My counterplan is for Greece to stay in the Eurozone because with all the other countries' support, they can repair their economy and help get Greece back into normal.
Preston

Pro

First I think its important that we define the resolution:
Greece - a republic in SE Europe, occupying the S part of the Balkan Peninsula and many islands in the Ionian and Aegean Seas.[1]
Should -must; ought (used to indicate duty, propriety, or expediency): [2]
Exit - to go out; leave.[3]
Euro - in reference to the EU[4]

I would also like to clarify: The country of Greece is not leaving Europe, that is both physically and realistically improbable.
Here are my following contentions:

1) Moral Obligation:

Now its important to realize that 'Should' refers to a moral obligation or duty, thus we are evaluating whether or not they have a moral obligation to withdraw from the EU. So as a criterion to evaluate their obligation I will use Kants Theory of Good will:

"We begin with the concept of that which can be conceived to be good without qualification, a good will. Other good features of human nature and the benefits of a good life, Kant pointed out, have value only under appropriate conditions, since they may be used either for good or for evil. But a good will is intrinsically good; its value is wholly self-contained and utterly independent of its external relations. Since our practical reason is better suited to the development and guidance of a good will than to the achievement of happiness, it follows that the value of a good will does not depend even on the results it manages to produce as the consequences of human action.

Kant's moral theory is, therefore, deontological: actions are morally right in virtue of their motives, which must derive more from duty than from inclination. The clearest examples of morally right action are precisely those in which an individual agent's determination to act in accordance with duty overcomes her evident self-interest and obvious desire to do otherwise. But in such a case, Kant argues, the moral value of the action can only reside in a formal principle or "maxim," the general commitment to act in this way because it is one's duty. So he concludes that "Duty is the necessity to act out of reverence for the law.""[5]

Ultimately what we have to look at is the impact of them Greece leaving the EU on everyone else in the EU, Because the Euro's value is determined based off of the collective properties of all participating nations we see that all other nations are collectively harmed by Greeces continued Participation.

Thus because we are morally obligated to act in favor of good will, they are thus morally obligated to withdraw to benefit the rest of the EU.

So in essence they should Exit the EU.

Response to Disadvantage 1)
You provide no reason that this is a disadvantage, people will still trade and commerce benefits capitalist societies when they attempt to recover.

Response to Disadvantage 2)
This again doesn't seem to even tie into any moral obligation thus it falls.

Response to Counter Plan)
This again would mean that Greece is acting in self interest and this violates their moral obligation to act in the interests of the EU.

[1]http://dictionary.reference.com...
[2]http://dictionary.reference.com...
[3]http://dictionary.reference.com...
[4]http://dictionary.reference.com...
[5]http://www.philosophypages.com...
Mathlover

Con

"First I think its important that we define the resolution:
Exit - to go out; leave.[3]
Euro - in reference to the EU[4]

Here are my following contentions:

1) Moral Obligation:

So in essence they should Exit the EU.

Response to Disadvantage 1)

Response to Disadvantage 2)

Response to Counter Plan)
This again would mean that Greece is acting in self interest and this violates their moral obligation to act in the interests of the EU."

Nevermind! Skip this debate.
Preston

Pro

I push my arguments, are you conceding?
Mathlover

Con

Mathlover forfeited this round.
Preston

Pro

GG vote for me
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
****************************************************************
>Reported vote: lannan13// Mod action: NOT Removed<

6 points to Pro (Conduct, Arguments, Sources). Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.

[*Reason for non-removal*] While this vote stresses the limits of how much a forfeited round matters, the concession itself could stand as reason enough to give all points to Con. The person who reported this vote insinuates that the statement made in R2 implied that no vote should be cast. This requires that both sides agree to mutually end the debate without any voters allocating points. As Pro was apparently not under this impression, points can still be allocated by voters.
******************************************************************************
Posted by Preston 1 year ago
Preston
Dude, i spent 2 hours writing and researching, If people want to give me Cudos for that then so be it, but im not going to tell people "PLease dont vote because my opponent decided he didnt want to debate me" Ultimately I spent time debating, he didnt, He didnt speak with me about cancelling the debate. he just posted that he was done and abandoned. You should take your nose and shove it in your own debate. Until then ;)
Posted by fejifeji404 1 year ago
fejifeji404
Dude, this shouldn't even have votes. The con made it clear that he was going to stop debating. Preston, you don't need to be a jerk about it.
Posted by IsaacBigEars 1 year ago
IsaacBigEars
Melaka
Posted by Preston 1 year ago
Preston
Also the 12 hrs is gonna screw you over...
Posted by Preston 1 year ago
Preston
You obviously dont understand what the euro is... and are you claiming a country is trying to leave its continent?

"So it comes to my attention that right now, Greece wants to leave Europe."
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
MathloverPrestonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Fofeiture