heart_of_the_matter
sashaperry

Guitarist Duel

sashaperry
Started: 11/11/2009 Category: Arts

heart_of_the_matter

Pro

I would like to propose a "Guitar Duel"!

The judges will be able to rate the guitarists on any criteria they want to... To decide which "team" of 5 guitarists is better! My 5 guitarists vs. my opponent's 5 guitarists! ...
------------

RULES:

1. Each side chooses one guitarist per round

2. The guitarists can be living or dead.

3. Each person gets to pick 5 guitarists. Once a guitarist has been chosen the other side cannot choose him.

4. Each side gets to post one video of them playing (it can be any length, but remember if you bore the judges they may rate against you!)
***Each side may post 2 videos instead of 1 in the round of their choice! (a video of the SAME guitarist playing something else!!) ---so that the total at the end is 5 guitarists for each side.

Pretty much that's it!

I think it will be fun to see who other people think the best guitarists are!

------------
Well I will need to start it off (so I can get my 5 total)...

for PRO's #1 guitarist PRO choses "Jason Becker"

Here is a short clip of him playing live in Japan, while he was with the band "Cacophony"
sashaperry

Con

Jimmy Page (led Zeplin)

*i am not sure how good the video is, my computer will not let me hear
heart_of_the_matter

Pro

Sashaperry, thank you for accepting the debate!

Yes, your first video posted well. Good choice! Jimmy Page is certainly a legendary guitarist!

For my second guitarist I will go with Yngwie Malmsteen!

Here he is playing my favorite song from him! (Amberdawn)
sashaperry

Con

Thank you. I would also like to say that this is a very good debate i love it!

For MY second choise, i will choose Jimi Hendrix, yeah he is cliche, but you really cannot get any better!
heart_of_the_matter

Pro

Jimi Hendrix? Yes!! I can definitely see why you chose him...his name is synonymous with excellent guitar playing.

I am going to post my 2 videos this round (as stated in the rules we can do that in one round of our choice)...for my guitarist #3. They are both very short though!

Guitarist #3 for PRO is Rusty Cooley.

the first video is him doing some scales... I am showing it so that people can appreciate what it looks like when a person plays as fast as he does...

the second video is him playing in his band "Outworld"
sashaperry

Con

AWESOME! you have great taste in music!

for my next choice, i think i will pick, Slash! here is him playing a pretty fantastic guitar solo!

I think i will go ahead and take my second as well and choose, Neal Schon (Journey)
heart_of_the_matter

Pro

Thank you for posting those videos. I thought that was one of Slash's best solos...I'm glad you posted that one from him!

For my #4 guitarist I choose Michael Angelo Baito

I also am enjoying this debate. Only 1 round left for me after this!
sashaperry

Con

I must say... this last choice was an extrodinarily diffucult one...i was caught besteen 5 great guitarists...Keithe Richards, Jerry Garcia, Eric Clapton, Ry Cooder...but alas, i make my choice and chose....JACK WHITE!
heart_of_the_matter

Pro

Jack White was very good! Thank you for that one! I also had a lot of difficulty choosing my 4th guitarist...I will list some of the guitarists I thought about choosing in the comments section after the debate is over...but yea! I know what you mean! There are a ton of great guitarists to choose from!

For my last guitarist I will choose Steve Vai!

I want to show a clip of him playing in one of my all time favorite movies "Crossroads"

I know it looks like Ralph Machio is playing...but really it's Steve Vai's music and he's playing both parts.

I thought it would be fun to show the "guitar duel" scene!

Many thanks for the debate! It was a lot of fun!
sashaperry

Con

I did not realize i had ANOTHER ROUND! that is fantastic!

well...not that i have another...i think i am going to pick...Angus Young of AC DC!!!!!!!!!
Posted by sashaperry 7 years ago
sashaperry
thanks for everyone who voted for Me!
Posted by boxxybabee 7 years ago
boxxybabee
Where is John Petrucci? Buckethead? LEGENDS MISSING PEOPLE
Posted by heart_of_the_matter 7 years ago
heart_of_the_matter
well it looks like my Yngwie link got removed by the user on Youtube...so I will repost another one here (same song, but not as exciting of a video):

also here is some bonus material if anyone wants to see Yngwie playing live:
Posted by sashaperry 7 years ago
sashaperry
No that YOU heart o' the matter for the debate! it was very fun! and same with me, satriana crossed my mind as well...
heart_of_the_matter
MikeLoviN - Yes John Petrucci (Dream Theatre) and Satriani did cross my mind...Petrucci esp. was under consideration a lot...and were it not for the Crossroads scene being one of my favorites I probably would have gone with a different guitarist for Rd. 5. Some other guitarists that I was considering included: Andres Segovia, Robert Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Paul Gilbert, Stephan Forte...also the guy from Dragonforce (can't remember his name)....I sort of had a "theme" of fast/ technical going so I stayed away from the blues and classical...

The Lwerd - thanks for the comments and insights! I appreciate it! I could have easily shown more impressive footage of Yngwie, but I just happened to like that song...you shouldn't judge only on that song! most of his songs are much faster and more technical...

sashaperry - again thanks for the debate!
Posted by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
Crap. I screwed up the names in that assessment. I meant that I liked the way Cooley played the last note/few bars.
Posted by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
[Contd.]

The problem is that Slash did fantastic as well. In fact, that might have been the best Slash solo I've ever seen! It came in awhile after the Godfather melody had been played, but it was very creative and I think he did a really good job with it; better than Cooley. Another issue though is that I think the Neal solo kind of sucked. I'm pretty sure that Schon didn't deserve to be in that list. I mean he's good, but he's not TOP material. That hurt the Con and so this round again results in a tie for me. Oh and I should note that I really appreciated Malsteen's ending note and last few bars in general. That was brave. So, tie.

In the 4th round, I can't believe Con picked Jack White! Haha Pro's guy clearly trumped Jack in this round. He did a good job of soloing and playing lead guitar at the same time in some parts where he was more focused on melody (Pro's guy). Plus his fingering at about 2 minutes in was insane. Jack couldn't compare. Easy round for Pro.

Now, Steve Vai in the last round was really great. That clip of Angus really didn't stand a chance, and so I awarded this to Pro. So, in the end, Pro wins. A great effort put forth by both though!!! I'm really impressed at the new kinds of clever debates people have been doing around here :)
Posted by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
Yes, Mike, I love Satch :)

This was a really tough one to call.

First, it should be noted that all of Con's choices were very cliche. That said, who cares? Jimmy Page is a god. I really love the way his solos both play off of the song's melody as well as perfectly contrast it. He can play amazingly well at various tempos too, whereas a lot of other people are just good at showing off their speed but don't really play much of substance (as far as rhythm, meter and melody).

That said, the clip of Page submitted for this debate was sub-par and could have been a lot better. To contrast it with Pro's submission of Becker, I liked how it showed Becker playing and how effortless it seemed for him to reach that speed. Also, I liked the way that he played around jumping to higher octaves whereas Page didn't do that in the clip provided. So, I'll award this as kind of a tie.

In the 2nd round, it Malmsteen vs. Hendrix. For Malmsteen, at about 45 seconds in, it got kinda cheesey and started to get repetitive. Purple Haze is a classic and rightfully so, though I admit I was a little disappointed that it was the obvious choice of JH in that spot. However... if the shoe fits! I think JH did better even though his solo was a lot shorter. Again, this was really close, but I'm going to have to give the slight edge to Con in terms of content.

In the 3 round, at first I was turned off by Pro's 1st video because I recognized it as just repeated scales right away. After reading his post, I see that that was the point lol. Yes, Cooley's speed is impressive... but as a musician, I can tell you that once you get the hang of a particular instrument, it's really not that difficult to play super fast. Still, Cooley impresses with the 2nd video Pro posted in R3.

To be cont...
Posted by MikeLoviN 7 years ago
MikeLoviN
Where's Joe Satriani and John Petrucci ???
Vote Placed by kalyse020908 7 years ago
kalyse020908
heart_of_the_mattersashaperryTied
Vote Placed by sashaperry 7 years ago
sashaperry
heart_of_the_mattersashaperryTied
Vote Placed by heart_of_the_matter 7 years ago
heart_of_the_matter
heart_of_the_mattersashaperryTied
Vote Placed by NightLane 7 years ago
NightLane
heart_of_the_mattersashaperryTied
Vote Placed by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
heart_of_the_mattersashaperryTied