cooldude15author
IncredulousVessel

Gun Control Should be Abolished in the USA

Started: 2/7/2013 Category: News

cooldude15author

Con

There are plenty of reasons we should keep guns around.
1 We use guns to protect ourselves.
2 The reason some countries don't attack us is because over 85% of the American population owns guns.
3 If we do abolish guns, then what will happen to people who hunt? Will they be denied that right, even though they are only using their gun to find food?
4 If we were to only abolish the right to own guns for people who need phsyciatric help, then they will still find a way to get a gun. (take for instance, the shooting at Newtown, the killer used only his mother's handguns)
5 If we were to abolish guns, would that include the military? Because if you do abolish guns for those in the military, you are breaking the 2nd amendment. (As passed by congress: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed")
6 Not only does it say that the militia (military) is allowed to own guns, but it also says that it is the right of the people.
7 If we ban guns, we would have the same problem as the UK. As soon as guns were banned, crimes commited with guns doubled.
8 The tighter we put restrictions on guns, the less complying our society will be with these new laws.
9 Are we the people really trusting enough of our government, to hand over all of our guns to them?
10 We have the right, the privellage, and the self-restraint to own guns. It is a law that we will not allow to be broken, and will protect with everything we have.
IncredulousVessel

Pro

If you look at comments, you will see that before accepting this I directly warned the instigator that he is arguing for pro but has assigned himself as con.

It is unfortunately the case that he replied "I know I am con." I then let him ten minutes and finally decided to accept.

At present all of his arguments are in favour of pro, he claims to be con and, as such, this incredulous vessel shall assert all of con's arguments as the pro's... (with better spelling and grammar as an edit)

1 We use guns to protect ourselves from criminals who would use them regardless of if they were banned or not.

3 Banning guns for civilians while allowing for hunters will be very difficult to justify for con.

4 If we were to only abolish the right to own guns for people who need psychiatric help, then they will still find a way to get a gun. (take for instance, the shooting at Sandy Hook, the killer used only his mother's handguns)

5 You are breaking the 2nd amendment.
cooldude15author

Con

We should NOT keep our guns:

These are a rebuttel of what my opponent has previously said:

1. Most Violent crimes are committed with guns (in fact over 68% as of 2012) thus; restricting gun ownership will likely reduce the number of such crimes. (committed of course by criminals)

2. Any circumstance that does not involve guns will of course cause a lower amount of casualties. So my opponent is saying that he would rather give people the opportunity to kill and destroy, by allowing more people in our country, to own guns.

3. The 2nd amendment of the Constitution is directed more towards militia, eg. The National Guard, rather than individuals. So individuals should not own guns.

4. To say that a person who is in need of psychiatric help, will always be able to find a gun is completely stupid. Because you say that even if guns are taken away, then people will still attain them. But then you gave the example of Sandy Hook. In which the killer took the guns from his mom. If guns were banned like I am saying, she would not have those guns in the first place. Therefore preventing this terrible disaster.

5. You say that to ban guns is breaking the 2nd amendment. But the 2nd amendment as passed by congress, says that it is more directed toward the militia. Known in our modern time as the military.
IncredulousVessel

Pro

IncredulousVessel forfeited this round.
cooldude15author

Con

My opponent seems to have quit this debate.
I feel like I have made a great arguement, even though my opponent was confused, on what side I was on.
Please vote for me!!!
IncredulousVessel

Pro

IncredulousVessel forfeited this round.
Posted by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
What a bizarre debate! Con made ten arguments for the opposition, but only rebutted five. However, in his rebuttals he made points of his own, that Pro can't contest with a closed account. ;)
Posted by cooldude15author 4 years ago
cooldude15author
Sorry, everybody, after looking over the debate I realized I made a mistake..
Sorry IncredulousVessel, I didn't take into account some of the key parts of this debate.
Posted by JohnnyC 4 years ago
JohnnyC
I would argue against you but your points are so illogical that I don't think that I should grace them with a response.
Posted by cooldude15author 4 years ago
cooldude15author
I know that I am con,
It just may seem that I am pro in this case.
Simply because I feel strongly about mass-murder casualties.
Posted by IncredulousVessel 4 years ago
IncredulousVessel
I'm just warning you.

You are pro but you think you are con.

I'm not going to take this because that would be playing TOO dirty.