debatedgiraffe
ButterEater

Gun Control.

debatedgiraffe has forfeited round #2.

debatedgiraffe

Pro

Think about this. You are sitting in school, and the bell rings. You grab your backpack, and start to go to the gym to get to your bus. The door busts open, and you hear people screaming. It's a person with a gun. They purchased it legally. Now, with the intent to harm anyone and everyone, they start shooting.

Now, I apologize if that had harmed anyone.

Anyways, I'm not saying, "OH BAN ALL GUNS" I'm saying, ban the AK-15s and other machine guns. Ban bump-stock. Ban the ability to buy a gun if you have some sort of mental disease. (Schizophrenia, Bipolar disorder etc. etc.) I'm saying ban the ability to buy a gun if you are a documented creeper. Guns should be used, basically not at all. If you looked on the internet, go search as you are reading this, "How many school shootings have there been this year? (2018)". I assure you, you will be shocked.

I'm looking forward to debating with someone.
ButterEater

Con

Wazzz guud mayne.

Alright, I agree to a debate, I'd like to ask you to put your arguments into a syllogistic form before posting, if not I will do it for you, however I do not want to accidentally strawman your argument(s), so I prefer if you'd do it. I will present all of my arguments in a syllogistic form as well.
Posted by DoYouEvenLiftBro 3 months ago
DoYouEvenLiftBro
Alright, first and foremost I want to come out and state I agree there is a need to have strict gun laws. I am not stating a taking away of firearms from citizens who already own guns, unless they fail to meet the new gun law standards. Furthermore, I have a huge disdain towards any individuals who uses fear or emotion to get their point across, due to this usually meaning they lack empirical data to back up their argument. Or, in some cases are simply too ignorant on the topic to be able to make an informed statement and are usually regulating information.

I know this has already been stated it is an AR-15 not an AK-15 there is an AK-45 which is another "assault style rifle"
AR does not stand for assault rifle do your homework AR stands for ArmaLite rifle, after the company that developed it in the 1950s

What are you recommending to be done? I am not looking for some silly anecdotal information.I'm looking for you to make informed comprehensive and holistic approach to gun-control.I look forward to seeing the next round and I hope when you gentlemen actually does your homework.
Posted by moncaisson 3 months ago
moncaisson
Why aren't you calling for a ban on all guns? If your aim is to reduce gun deaths, that's a pretty logical way to go about it. Also, if you wanted to reduce gun deaths, why attempt to ban automatic or semi-automatic rifles? There are more gun deaths at the hands of handguns, so if your aim was to reduce gun deaths, that would yield a higher return.
Posted by Sowcsoc 3 months ago
Sowcsoc
I AM PUTTING MY COMMENTS IN ALL CAPS ONLY TO DISTINGUISH FROM THE ORIGINAL POST. . . NOT SCREAMING AT YOU.

Anyways, I'm not saying, "OH BAN ALL GUNS" I'm saying, ban the AK-15s and other machine guns. MACHINE GUNS ARE ALREADY BARRED. AK-15/AR-15 IS A PARTICULAR MODEL OF GUN. KIND OF LIKE BUYING A SEXY CAR VERSUS A MOM AND POP CAR. BOTH HAVE THE SAME FUNCTIONALITY.

Ban bump-stock. AGREE. THIS EFFECTIVELY ALLOWS SOMEONE TO BYPASS THE MACHINE GUN RESTRICTIONS. BUT, AS WITH ALL SEEMINGLY HARMLESS REGULATIONS, THIS IS A SLIPPERY SLOPE.

Ban the ability to buy a gun if you have some sort of mental disease. (Schizophrenia, Bipolar disorder etc. etc.) I'm saying ban the ability to buy a gun if you are a documented creeper. THIS LAW ALREADY EXISTS. PROBLEM IS THE PERSON HAS TO BE AS YOU STATE A "DOCUMENTED CREEPER" THROUGH THE COURT SYSTEM. THE FBI SEEMS TO HAVE DROPPED THE BALL ON THE LAST INCIDENT.

Guns should be used, basically not at all. If you looked on the, go search as you are reading this, "How many school shootings have there been this year? (2018)". I assure you, you will be shocked. IT'S SAD THAT WE'VE HAD THIS MANY SCHOOL SHOOTINGS. BEFORE MAKING A COMMENT LIKE THERE ARE FACTORS TO CONSIDER.

1. HISTORY - RESEARCH THE REASON WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. THIS ALONE SHOULD BE ENOUGH FOR AN OBJECTIVE PERSON TO RECONSIDER THEIR OPINION.

2. EXPOSURE - SCHOOL SHOOTINGS ARE THE POPULAR THING TO DO FOR THOSE WHO ARE INCLINED TO DO SO. WE HAVE TO BLAME OURSELVES FOR SOME OF THIS BECAUSE OUR APPETITE FOR SENSATIONALISM IS ENORMOUS. JUST A THOUGHT BUT IT WOULD BE NICE TO SEE MEDIA NOT PUBLISH THEIR NAMES. WE ARE GIVING PEOPLE AN AVENUE TO GET NOTICED. . . .

3. MEDIA - WE THRIVE ON VIOLENCE IN MOVIES AND VIDEO GAMES. HOW CAN WE NOT EXPECT IT TO CARRY OVER TO REAL LIFE?

4. ENEMIES - I BET OUR FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC ENEMIES WOULD LOVE TO SEE US WITHOUT GUNS.

5. WELL, THAT'S ENOUGH FOR NOW. . .
Posted by Sowcsoc 3 months ago
Sowcsoc

5. WELL, THAT'S ENOUGH FOR NOW. . .
Posted by John_C_1812 3 months ago
John_C_1812
So we have this straight. We have a criminal who commits a heinous crime and instead of addressing the crime with the criminal, the conclusion made is to punish everyone by the criminal action? When we look back at fires in schools we look into firefighting equipment not making electric, gas, alcohol, lighters, and matches illegal. Electricity would be are AR-15 of fires here.
A ballistic shield with helmets might be nice. They are not fire-arms and become a direct address of issue of danger made against an attack of this kind. It is the attacker who at this point is the only one clearly wrong by the actions taken.
Posted by itsthecap 3 months ago
itsthecap
You can"t completley ban all machine guns. Theres black markets that are still available if we do ban machine guns.
Posted by ButterEater 3 months ago
ButterEater
Quick thing, AR-15 is not an assault rifle.
Posted by Nartnod7875 3 months ago
Nartnod7875
they're not AK-15s but AR-15s. Not machine guns but assault rifles. There are laws established that require background checks which analyze criminal records, legal age, and mental abnormalities. It's just that they are not as extensive as they are supposed to be. People who are diagnosed mentally disturbed are not allowed to obtain fire arms. And the notion that guns should not be used is utterly unrealistic. the invention of guns and nuclear bombs is like Pandora's box; once all those things are released, there's no turning back. They won't go away.