Magma_Crafter
AbandonedSpring

Gun Control

Magma_Crafter

Con

I believe gun control should not be a thing because there are numerous ways to get guns. 1. Make it yourself
2. Buy it Illegally
3. Become a police officer
There's probably even more. So if a guy decided that he wanted to have a gun for recreational purposes he would go through the background check after he got a gun license. Like all licenses it needs to be renewed. Now on the off chance he became angry or started having criminal thoughts he might rely on his already registered and purchased firearm. so it would be easier to find out who's gun it actually is. now when he decided to do this since guns you can freely carry around a bystander who is closer than the police who figures this out can respond except for the fact you can't go inside anywhere with a gun just stand on public state property, a firing range and legally be able to shoot it or your own property. so if they were banned but someone illegally got their hands on a gun it would be like handing a stick of supreme power over any innocent bystander.
AbandonedSpring

Pro

Hello! To begin, I'll define gun control-
"regulation of the selling, owning, and use of guns"
http://www.merriam-webster.com...

Now, gun control could be as simple as the government operating licenses, or as extreme as to get rid of them all together. You say that you wish to abolish gun control, and you find it unnecessary. You say that it's extremely simple to get a gun, and that is why gun control does not need to exist. However, the simplicity involved in acquiring a firearm will the base to my argument on why we need some form of gun control.
https://www.americanprogress.org...
As you can see, many guns go missing. Dealers who have guns that go "missing" have no reason to be responsible. Guns don't just go missing, and dealers who have missing firearms are a major part in crimes that occur with an illegal firearm. If we implement some form of gun control, it will be harder for the bad people to get firearms, then we will be safer as a society.

Thanks
Magma_Crafter

Con

From what you are saying the feel I'm getting is your saying that right now a lot of guns go missing since there are widely sold and if we make it so guns can't be legally sold then it will be very hard for a bad guy to get a gun. I Kind of agree with you but that's not the issue. the issue is its still hard for a bad guy to get a gun but its not impossible. Now if a regular person wants to get a gun they could Illegally but usually they get it legally and since were currently implying banning it they would go with not getting a gun. Many criminals do get guns illegally currently so its harder for it to be traced to them so banning the sale of guns still means criminals will find a way to get guns. Now if a good guy had a gun they could respond faster then the police. so lets say your in your house watching T.V. and you have a gun on you or near you and a guy with an assault shotgun breaks the door down you have a way of defense and can defend yourself before you can handle before you even have the ability to call the police. having a gun will be like having your phone. now if you didn't have your gun chances are you would be dead or close to dead. it probably won't save you 100% of the time but it will do better then waiting two minutes for police to show up while you have gun to your head.
AbandonedSpring

Pro

"From what you are saying the feel I'm getting is your saying that right now a lot of guns go missing since there are widely sold and if we make it so guns can't be legally sold then it will be very hard for a bad guy to get a gun. I Kind of agree with you but that's not the issue. the issue is its still hard for a bad guy to get a gun but its not impossible. "

Alright, you started off by agreeing to my side of the argument.

"Now if a regular person wants to get a gun they could Illegally but usually they get it legally and since were currently implying banning it they would go with not getting a gun"

If a person wants a gun, they go buy one legally. If they intend to do bad, they get it by illegitimate means. If we reduce the amount of people who have access to illegitimate firearms, less crime will happen, and the good folks get to keep their firearms.

"Many criminals do get guns illegally currently so its harder for it to be traced to them so banning the sale of guns still means criminals will find a way to get guns."

Once again, like I stated earlier, if we hold dealers who are missing guns responsible, less will go missing.

"ow if a good guy had a gun they could respond faster then the police. so lets say your in your house watching T.V. and you have a gun on you or near you and a guy with an assault shotgun breaks the door down you have a way of defense and can defend yourself before you can handle before you even have the ability to call the police. "

This is irrelevant, because in my argument I make it clear that the bad guys would not have a weapon, and the good guys do.

"having a gun will be like having your phone. now if you didn't have your gun chances are you would be dead or close to dead. it probably won't save you 100% of the time but it will do better then waiting two minutes for police to show up while you have gun to your head."

Alright, so like i've stated several times now, I don't want to take guns away from good folks who know how to handle weapons. I want to ensure that bad guys, who are not capable of doing good, lose these weapons.

Thanks
Magma_Crafter

Con

Ok in my previous argument i was implying that guns would be banned. you can not get a gun legally if you have any criminal record. but i also said "Many criminals do get guns illegally currently so its harder for it to be traced to them so banning the sale of guns still means criminals will find a way to get guns." you said:

But what i meant is there are more ways to get guns than buying them. one is make your own. buy one in circulation. take one from the government. your argument docent make mine invalid.

"If a person wants a gun, they go buy one legally. If they intend to do bad, they get it by illegitimate means. If we reduce the amount of people who have access to illegitimate firearms, less crime will happen, and the good folks get to keep their firearms."

I said speciffically that we were implying banning guns but brining up this point. if the person decided to use there gun in a crime it is registered and there in the database.

Yo did say less would go missing if the dealers were held responsible but you can't really prove it is there fault. it could have been stolen and you can't get people in trouble for being robbed.

I think we have similar opinions but I'm not really sure if we understand each eachother.
AbandonedSpring

Pro

I will reaffirm that good people should be allowed to keep their weapons. A person with no mental illness should be allowed to purchase weapons. http://www.thedailybeast.com... Does that not make sense? Because this is technically gun control. I suppose if you are okay with the criminally insane running around with fully automatic weapons, be my guest, but I will not sit here and subject America to that.

"Ok in my previous argument i was implying that guns would be banned. you can not get a gun legally if you have any criminal record. but i also said "Many criminals do get guns illegally currently so its harder for it to be traced to them so banning the sale of guns still means criminals will find a way to get guns." "

You may have said they would be banned, but like I clearly stated, gun control would not be taking guns away completely. Only the mentally ill, or people with criminal records would not be allowed to have firearms.

"But what i meant is there are more ways to get guns than buying them. one is make your own. buy one in circulation. take one from the government. your argument docent make mine invalid."

You may have meant that, but that is not what was written. If we hold dealers who find their guns "missing" accountable, less guns will go missing. Period.

"I said speciffically that we were implying banning guns but brining up this point. if the person decided to use there gun in a crime it is registered and there in the database."

You are the only person this debate who has talked about banning guns. I said several times I do not want to ban guns. Banning guns would be detrimental to a society. There is no "we were", because I am not talking about removing guns as a whole.

"Yo did say less would go missing if the dealers were held responsible but you can't really prove it is there fault. it could have been stolen and you can't get people in trouble for being robbed."

Can you prove that that wouldn't happen? it's common sense. If there is no punishment for something, it will go on. As soon as a punishment is instituted, the act with cease to go on. If speeding was legal, it would happen all the time, even more so then now. If there was no punishment, then it would carry on simply because there is no risk. Also, like I have stated several times, only bad people would lose guns.

"I think we have similar opinions but I'm not really sure if we understand each each other."

Our opinions are nothing similar. I believe that the only way to maintain a society is to punish the real criminals, the ones who give the weapons. I don't blame the weapons, because I know guns don't kill people. You seem to think that there should be no regulations at all, but that would lead to an anarchy situation.

Thanks

http://money.cnn.com...
Posted by Deablo1 2 years ago
Deablo1
Dear AbandonedSpring,
alright, American politics here, the 2nd amendment says we have the right to bear arms. Let's go deeper here, the founding fathers made it clear that if the government became corrupt, the people could rise up and take it over. That is the purpose of the second amendment. And let's say we don't have guns, old lady gets mugged by middle aged guy, she gonna lose. now, if the guy circumvents the law and gets a gun, old lady is defiantly screwed. Now, if everyone has a gun, nobody attacks anyone, because it is not a "stick of power", but rather, a tool for defense. Bank robberies could not happen as easily with three people or less, all sorts of things would not happen. Let's not forget the teacher that STOPPED a school shooting WITH their own gun. They then got arrested, how messed up is that? they saved children, but got arrested. But I will not disobey the law to get a gun, I will silently protest as our rights are taken away
Thank you for your points,
Deablo1