mylevel2012
sbaik610

Gun Control

mylevel2012

Pro

I am for gun control in the sense of not allowing just anyone to be able to buy guns. There should be a testing that is done to make sure that the person who is trying to purchase a gun is mentally stable enough to use a gun. If anything changes in their mental health, they should update the records. Yes, the second amendment states that one has the right to bear arms, but the wording can be changed. One may have a right to handle a gun, but that does not mean that they should be able to. I am for gun control. The government should enforce the laws that we already have to make it harder for people to be able to purchase guns.
sbaik610

Con

I wanted to start with the predictable "Guns don"t kill people, people kill people" quote but I"m assuming it wouldn"t hold a stance on your point of the argument. Pro says the testing should be on the "people" who are trying to purchase a gun. In my opinion, a test of some sort would not be efficient. Do you maybe have an example of a testing that could be used to test the mental stability of a person when they are going to purchase a gun?
mylevel2012

Pro

There is a mental health test that are done through different mental institutions. It can test the psychological state of someone. If they are bi-polar, or if there are any other psychological problem that the person has that could potentially cause them if they have a gun, harm to themselves or others, they should not be able to purchase the gun. I understand that guns do not harm people, people harm people, but those people with the guns are using the weapon in order to harm the people. I am not against gun control, because letting just anyone purchase a gun no matter their psychological state is just irresponsible.
sbaik610

Con

If you want to have a mental test on guns, we should also have a mental screening at Giants, Walmart, Target, etc. when somebody needs a tool to cut their pork chops. If there was somebody who is mentally-ill and they made up their mind in causing terror, I don't think a mental health test is going to stop them. The money and time that could be used to carry these tests should be used to bring extra security to schools, malls, theaters, etc.

By the way, The Oklahoma city bombing killed 168 and injured more than 680 people. The blast destroyed/damaged 324 buildings, 86 cars. Not a single bullet involved. The key materials he needed for this attack were fertilizers, a cleaning solution, and a Ryder truck. We should start getting a Mental Health test the next time we go to Enterprise, right?
There are many instances where a gun wasn't used as a weapon of terror.

To me it just doesn't make sense in spending all this time and money to test peoples' sanity when buying a gun.
mylevel2012

Pro

mylevel2012 forfeited this round.
sbaik610

Con

sbaik610 forfeited this round.
mylevel2012

Pro

mylevel2012 forfeited this round.
sbaik610

Con

sbaik610 forfeited this round.
Posted by mylevel2012 3 years ago
mylevel2012
Sounds good!
Posted by sbaik610 3 years ago
sbaik610
I'll comment as soon as I can make a valid argument. I haven't really thought about the CON side. Will let you know as soon as possible!