ishallannoyyo
nreed2

Gun Laws in the United States should be tightened

ishallannoyyo

ishallannoyyo

Pro

Definitions:

Gun Laws - the right to bear arms
Should be tightened - the restrictions that Obama is proposing should be passed, namely a ban on assault rifles

I look forward to an interesting debate!
nreed2

Con

Gun controll laws should not be tightened because approximately 92% of guns used in crimes come from an illegitimate or illegal source. Therefore, tighter gun laws would only make it harder for people who want guns for a legitimate reason such as self defense or hunting to get guns and defend themselves from the criminals that aquire them illegaly.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov...
ishallannoyyo

Pro

ishallannoyyo forfeited this round.
nreed2

Con

Sorry no time to write school has been crazy be back next round
ishallannoyyo

Pro

I thank my opponent for his comments, however considering the fact that his source leads to a 404 error, I will disregard some of his stats. Seeing as most of his points will be refuted in my constructive, I will present my arguments.

C1: CORRELATIONS BETWEEN GUN OWNERSHIP AND GUN VIOLENCE

The idea that increased gun ownership will result in decreasing crime rates is statistically unfounded. America has the highest gun ownership rates per capita in 2007 with 88.8 guns to 100 citizens, while Tunisia had the lowest per capita gun ownership rate of 0.1 guns to 100 citizens. [1] The United States had 14 748 intentional homicides, while Tunisia had 117. [2] Yemen had the second highest gun ownership rates, and had 990 plus homicides. In Spain, 10. 4 people have guns per 100 people, and Spain had 390 homicides. Clearly, there cannot be a correlation between gun ownership and crime, so the idea that more guns = more protection is false.

C2: HAVING GUNS READILY AVAILABLE INCREASES CHANCES OF HOMOCIDES

Having a gun in the house greatly increases the chances that the gun will be used to intentionally harm someone else, rather than to actually protect yourself. In a survey, only 1% of those surveyed claimed to have used their guns for self-defense, while it was found that 50% used their guns to escalate arguments and violence. [3] Banning guns would decrease this amount of violence.

SOURCES:

1. http://en.wikipedia.org...
  2. http://en.wikipedia.org...

3. http://www.motherjones.com...

nreed2

Con

Sorry, not much time to write just want to say I agree that more guns=\=more saftey but having more restrictions is pointless if it has no actual effect on homocides.
Here is a correction to my last round's citation, sorry for the 404, I made the mistake of copying my source's source without checking it. http://www.pbs.org...
ishallannoyyo

Pro

I thank my opponent for his comments.

more guns =/= more safety but having more restrictions is pointless if it has no actual effect on homocides.

However, this is completely contradictory because if more guns = more crime, less guns will = less crime. Furthermore, your statistic doesn't actually say "92" in it, yet states that criminals find it easy to acquire guns illegally, but does not give a number of how many actually acquired them illegally. It merely states that only 8% stole guns. Adding restrictions on guns takes away guns, leaving fewer guns in houses, which as I have already stated will lower crime.

All of my arguments still stand as my opponent has made no clash. Thank you for the debate, and vote PRO!
nreed2

Con

I resign, been busy and therefore made a poor debate and would like to request a rematch at a later date.
Posted by ishallannoyyo 4 years ago
ishallannoyyo
If you forfeit this round, we'll just count it as even.
Posted by ishallannoyyo 4 years ago
ishallannoyyo
I apologize for forfeiting, I have my argument written but I just didn't post it. I urge voters to give Con Conduct points.
Vote Placed by RyuuKyuzo 4 years ago
RyuuKyuzo
ishallannoyyonreed2Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited, then conceded.