DaddyTang
Funkymonkey

Gun Rights in the United States

DaddyTang

Pro

Some of you may have seen my previous argument, from which I accept my defeat. However, that will not faze my advocation for gun rights. I am a part of the National Rifle Association, however, I find information and evaluate it based on consistency from source to source and also reliability. This is a foreshadowing due to the fact I may have several sources for a single statement.

I will lay down a few definitions:
Murder - illegal homicide; the unlawful taking of someone's life by another person
Self Defense - legal homicide; lawful taking of someone's life in order to prevent death, injury, or bodily harm by a victim.
Military weapon - weapons strictly used by the military (M-16, AK-47, AUG, etc.)
Assault weapon - synonymous with military weapon
CCW - conceal carry weapon; the lawful licensing of an individual to carry a concealed weapon

I may have left out a few necessary definitions, but I am sure my opponent and I will cover that as our argument goes on.

Before this argument becomes rather confusing, I will state that:
- I agree that no felon, mentally-ill or otherwise unfit person should have a firearm.
- I support instant background checks and any other similar methods.
- I agree minors under the age of 18 may not buy a weapon, and must be under supervision at all times by someone 18 or over when handling such a weapon.
- I agree the world would be a better place without guns, but if, and only if, every single one of them are eradicated along with the numerous subcultures around them. This does not appear to be happening anytime soon.

I will also ask my opponent to cite their sources, to which our voters will judge according to consistency and reliability. I will encourage voters to otherwise carefully vote according to the given criteria provided by this website.

I will allow my opponent to state their case, but in order to kick-start this debate, I will state a few basic points for both my opponent and myself to base our arguments upon:

- Self-defense, especially in our current world, is necessary, and given that we do not always know how deadly any possible confrontation will be, we should have firearms for our use.

- Firearms are protected by the 2nd Amendment that states: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to bear arms, shall not be infringed."

- Children are killed in gun accidents as a result of having the awestruck attitude of not knowing what a gun is, along with the inappropriate glorification of guns by video games, movies, etc. The proper counter to this is safety education on the same level as things such as sex education, driver's education, etc.

- People kill people, firearms do not. Firearms are tools, and can work either toward good or evil.

These are basic points I have formulated, but I encourage my opponent to feel free to state their argument and more points to debate upon. I open the floor to con for a fun and civil debate, and hopefully we may convince one another along with anyone who reads this debate.
Funkymonkey

Con

I think guns should not be bought in the USA because 1: someone could break into the gun shop and then go crazy, or 2:someone could be drunk and then they can get their gun and shoot someone. (That would bad unless your using the gun in self defence.)
DaddyTang

Pro

Thank you, Funkymonkey, for accepting and agreeing to a fun debate.

My opponent states that " someone could break into the gun shop and then go crazy"

This is obviously a speculative point with no evidence whatsoever. It is quite a possibility, but obvious this would be more suicide than it is a robbery. This differs from gun shop to gun shop, but it should be a safe assumption that at least some of the employees or customers are armed, especially in a gun shop with an integrated public range.

According to a book by Paul Blackman, supported by a Justice Department study [1],

% Of Criminals Who Fear Being Shot While Robbing a Home: 74%
% of "smart criminals" who try to find out if victim is armed: 81%
% of Criminals scared off, shot, wounded, and/or captured by citizen with a gun: 37%
% of Criminals running into an armed citizen: 34%
% of Criminals who will get a gun when nothing is available: 83%

James D. Wright's and Peter Rossi's "Armed and Considered Dangerous" [2] (the excerpt of which I needed to find since I do not own the book) also states some similar numbers, different, yet the numbers are still a fairly large portion. Keep in mind I have capitalized words that differ between the results above and below.

% Of Criminals Who Fear Being Shot While Robbing a PERSON: 40%
% of Criminals PERSONALLY KNOWN to have been scared off, shot, wounded, and/or captured by citizen with a gun: 62%
% of Criminals running into an armed citizen: 37%
Where Criminals get their handguns:
Stolen from friends or family members: 31%
Stolen/bought from black market: 30%
Stolen from homes/apartments/etc.: 29%

From this data, obviously gun stores are not extreme vectors for criminals to get their guns, and stealing from a gun store is rather unheard of. Obviously, "armed citizens" would be found in gun stores, and the percentage of criminals that decided not to commit a crime would most likely become part of the percentage that fears being shot.

"someone could be drunk and then they can get their gun and shoot someone. (That would bad unless your using the gun in self defence.)"

I honestly have no doubts that this happens, because sometime, somewhere, it probably does. However, it is plain common sense that someone should not have their gun if they're going to be drunk, as this is incredibly dangerous.

According to the CDC in 2007 [3] and GunCite [4], the number of unintentional deaths (assuming it is unintentional if the person is drunk) is around 600. This is a very small number, and it could be even smaller if people were more educated enough about the safety of firearms to NOT do stupid things like that.

According to Gary Kleck, Ph.D criminologist at Florida State University, along with his partner, Mark Gertz, has found that over 2.5 million times a year, guns are used defensively. [5] The National Institute of Justice has even suggest this number is even higher at 3.1 million [6]

This far outweighs the approximate 38,317 fatalities from combined homicides, suicides, and unintentional deaths that happen from firearms according to do CDC. [7] A study by Harvard University suggest the number is around 34,000 [8]

[1] http://www.readytodefend.com...
[2] http://books.google.com...
[3] http://webappa.cdc.gov... (Please click on Homicide, then Firearms, then set year 2007-2007)
[4] http://www.guncite.com...
[5] http://www.wnd.com...
[6] http://www.ncjrs.gov...
[7] http://wonder.cdc.gov...
[8] http://www.law.harvard.edu...

I leave the floor to my opponent.
Funkymonkey

Con

Funkymonkey forfeited this round.
DaddyTang

Pro

I'm not going to argue with Funkymonkey if he's not going to do anything, so I guess that's all folks. I'll restart the debate, so please someone who will actually try please go to the next debate like this I'll start, I'll copy and paste.
Funkymonkey

Con

Funkymonkey forfeited this round.
DaddyTang

Pro

That's all folks, thanks, I guess, for reading.

Please enjoy this .gif of World War 2 according to gamers:

http://static.funnyjunk.com...
Funkymonkey

Con

Funkymonkey forfeited this round.
Posted by DaddyTang 6 years ago
DaddyTang
Guys I made a new debate cuz this Funkymonkey kid is an idiot, I read all his debates pretty much and he's not even gonna do anything. I set it so someone as good as or better than me can argue, so come and accept the challenge.
Posted by dinokiller 6 years ago
dinokiller
Funky tbh, YOU ARENT EVEN TRYING TO.
All you do is make a few sentences as your argument and if your opponent refutes it, you begin forfeiting your rounds. I readed ALL your debates and its the same
Posted by DaddyTang 6 years ago
DaddyTang
@ Funkymonkey , I'm not even a debater myself, but I have some friends in my speech and debate club at school that taught me how. Also, go look up some debates so you can get a good idea on how to debate. This is only my 2nd debate on debate.org

@Grape and gavin.ogden - unlike most gun advocates, I do realize the place would be a better place without guns, but like anything in our daily lives, we will possibly never rid the world of them. They've become such a part of our society somewhere or another in such large numbers we won't be able to get rid of them. Sure, we can take them from citizens like most countries have, but taking it from the US or Switzerland or any of the world's militaries would probably just be a disaster. Pretty much what I'm saying is, I believe the world would be a better place if guns never existed in the first place, but they do, so all we can do is adjust.

@ bluesteel - thanks bluesteel, you made me a better debater especially with your skills.

@ wjmelements - Feel free bro
Posted by Funkymonkey 6 years ago
Funkymonkey
I'm new to this
Posted by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
Looking pretty good for daddytang, thus far.
Posted by Grape 6 years ago
Grape
I am generally against guns and I believe the world would be better if they were all eradicated, but I find Pro's position to be reasonable and agreeable.
Posted by LaissezFaire 6 years ago
LaissezFaire
@wjm

I don't think so. From his opening round, "I agree the world would be a better place without guns"
Posted by bluesteel 6 years ago
bluesteel
Good luck DaddyTang - I had fun debating you on this topic a month or two ago
Posted by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
Man, I was going to be all over this, until I read the opening round. It turns out Pro is already in favor of restricting gun rights.
Posted by wjmelements 6 years ago
wjmelements
Can we take this and argue that the world is a much better place with guns?
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
DaddyTangFunkymonkeyTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by jm_notguilty 5 years ago
jm_notguilty
DaddyTangFunkymonkeyTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff