misty.c
resolutionsmasher

Gun Rights

Con Tied Pro

misty.c

Con

Think about the death rate that there is in many of the states in the united states. Now how many are from gun shots.
I want you to imagine this, someone in your family had went to a neighbors house then about 12 hours later you have a police officer at your door tlling you that your family member was in a shooting. There are only two reasons why you would own a hand gun and that would be to kill someone. This debate will be based on 2 things which are:
(1) Cultural
(2) Protective Reasoning
I will give my oppent a chance to speech his thoughts on it now.
resolutionsmasher

Pro

At every case of a house invasion or kidnapping or mass murder, there has always been the people who express the same feeling. That feeling is this: That they wish that they had had a gun or some means of protection with wich to prevent this horrendous crime.
This is one of several reasons why we should preserve the right to bear arms in america.
I will address two main reasons:
(1) Prevention
(2) Problems
To affectively refute gun rights, my opponent must be able to disprove all reasoning that I provide in this debate. Failure to refute any one point is effective acceptance of them all.
thank you for the debate and may the best debater win.
misty.c

Con

(1)Some people say that but others would say well if they had to steal it then they needed it more than me. The culturals reason to have gun rights gone. People now a day are no different from cave men still it would smarten up the cultures around us. If the people in the cummunity stop killing people for looking at there girlfriend. I am against gun rights for the reason that they cause so many deaths in wars and making killing or murder easier.

(2)The protective reason would be if you were out in the woods I am alright with hunting guns but not hand guns. Many people use the excuse of protection. Even the people that you think would not use that excuse does. If you want to have protection in your home than get a neighbor to look after it and many of the times after a couple of days the robber gets caught. If you are not home you can't protect your self any ways which is much of the time the case of robberies. If you have a gun in your house then it is just setting you up for distort such like murder. Hand guns have nothing good from them.
resolutionsmasher

Pro

I will first give my own arguments and then I shall address my opponent's.

(1) According to the Encyclopedia of Sociology, using an offensive tool as a means of protection is the best preventative of the need for that weapon and reduce crime in a society.
This means that a person using a hand gun to protect themselves is less likely to need to protect themselves because threats are detered. By taking away gun rights in America you cause the spike in murder and general crime over the following time period.
(2) The real problem is not guns. While I admit that there is a serious violence problem in today's society, guns are not the source of that violence, and taking them away will not deter that violence in any way. Just because nobody has guns does not mean that everybody will stop hating and killing each other. A gun is only a tool. In the hands of a just person in can do great and wonderful things. In the hands of an evil person it can commit the gravest atrocity around: murder. Simply put; guns are a-moral, like money. (a-moral means that it has no predisposition to right or wrong) Would you ban money just because some people use it for evil? No, you wouldn't. Guns are to be treated on equal grounds. Instead of taking guns away let's dig this problem out at its root: Hate. The true goal is to eliminate hate in a society and to reduce gun violence in the proccess.

Now for my opponent's points.

(1) Her first area of reason is cultural. Her point is basically summarized like this, "I am against gun rights for the reason that they cause so many deaths in wars and making killing or murder easier." To refute this I will point out that with out guns, wars will still take place and that guns in the hands of citizens are not guns used in war. Get it right. If we drop the use of all guns what so ever then this will not cause world peace, in fact, it will only serve to provoke every enemy nation to take advantage of our weakened state.

(2) Her other reason is protective. For your information, the excuse of protection is a valid concern. The second ammendment is there not to ensure a form of protection from other people but from an oppressive government and thus removing that right leaves the people of America exposed to government based oppression. We need this protection to survive. That is a fact and it cannot be refuted. If you propose to remove that protection then I demand that you propose an equal and satisfactory replacement. For your information, thousands of people die each year because a burgler kills them in the process of robbing their house. 98% of these people have no gun with which to protect themselves. That's the truth and cannot be refuted.

Because of these points, my case is the only reasonable side of this issue to vote on
For that reason I ask that you, the voters, make the intelligent and reasonable decision and vote for me
Thanks to my opponent for posting this debate and allowing me to be her opponent.
Thank you
misty.c

Con

The gun rights are mainly toward hand guns and not toward hunting guns. There are 30000 deaths from gun shots a year. That is half the amount of death from smoking and and almost the same amount of deaths by car accidents. These amounts can be found on the internet anywhere.
(1) The cultural reason. The people that have been getting arrested are from ages 12 to 58. If you get rid off guns then when people get the need to go kill people then they would have to take more time to do it and they will get caught more. Then when kids at school get picked on and have problems will not be able to shoot up their school.

Hand guns and violence go together and that is all you see in this world today. There are other ways to kill people but these ways are not seen as much as gun shootings on television.

Protective reasoning. The only reason people should protect them selves would be if the person lives near something dangerous.

War is the only time there should be guns used. In genocide situation people would need to use something powerful and also something that can be easy to use.

People should not use guns to make their lives easier or to help their needs. There are guns that are used in robberies and other crimes to make it easier to intimidate the people. Gun rights should be vanished so the world can be little of a better place.
resolutionsmasher

Pro

(1) You say that there are as many deaths a year by gun shot wound as by car accident injuries. If so, why don't we ban cars for this reason? Because cars provide a necessary service to our people. Guns are the same. They provide the necessary protection to our people. If they are taken from us then those death rates would sky rocket. Thus we don't ban them despite the negative consequences.

(2) As I've stated before, if you take guns away it won't stop the violence. It just forces people to resort to more brutal means of murder. This applies to all situations including your school.

(2) I've run across a new statistic while looking over my old cases. 98% of all gun related crimes are committed using guns that are unregistered. Thus taking away guns (government can only take registered ones) will not solve gun violence.

(3) Hand guns and violence do not go hand in hand in today's world: hatred and violence stand alone regardless of the means by which it is carried out. Thus the target of our discretion ought not to be guns but hatred, as I have stated before.

(4) "Protective reasoning. The only reason people should protect them selves would be if the person lives near something dangerous." What's that supposed to mean? Most innocent people murdered in cities are murdered because violence is not expected and prepared for. Thus the best way to prevent violence is to arm the innocent and teach them to protect themselves.

(5) The fight to end hatred and violence is a war. Thus by your own statements we should use guns.

My opponent has failed to properly support her case with statistics and professional opinion, while I have. I also provide the most reasonable solutions to the problems at hand.

It is because of these reasons that I believe that you, the voters, should vote for me.

Thank you all.
Posted by misty.c 7 years ago
misty.c
There are some things that you people did not know was that this was what my second debate. And I just had been taught how to debate. I am in a class in school that we are having a debate for the final and I am trying to help my self out by debating on here. I am a girl for all of you thinking different misty. And 33000 would be 1/3 of 100000 so I said it was almost 1/3 of the deaths caused by cars.
Posted by dixie_marine 7 years ago
dixie_marine
con, you have one invalid arguement. the number of deaths by gunshot is no where near - not even a third - of that of vehicular deaths. you argued the number of gun related deaths to be 30000, while vehicular is well over 100000. because of this overlook, you have lost the debate in my eyes.
Posted by Charlie_Danger 7 years ago
Charlie_Danger
I have reluctance deciding this vote, but no regrets giving all but agreement points to PRO.
Con, you could have won this debate if you would have,
1) Done at least a nanosecond's worth of frikin' research
2) DEFINE!
3) Spoken in English, many times I couldn't understand what you were trying to say. "Some people say that but others would say well if they had to steal it then they needed it more than me" What the hell are you saying here?!?!
4) Clash. Attack his points directly, don't just pick something to say, say EVERYTHING.

I wish I could vote CON, soooo badly, but I'm afraid PRO did his job, and CON wasn't even close to doing his.
Posted by sherlockmethod 7 years ago
sherlockmethod
Con did not really tell us what "gun rights" means as it is a broad term and did not support the argument well. This can be a great debate, but a more concise resolution is needed and anticdotal evidence will need to be replaced with solid sources and logic. Pro did well in all aspects. Con needs to solidify the stance before taking this one again.
Posted by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
"People now a day are no different from cave men still it would smarten up the cultures around us."
Well, I like to think of myself as slightly more advanced than a caveman. You need evidence bud. Show me why. Points to PRO.
Posted by misty.c 7 years ago
misty.c
Well I live near Canada and I would agree that the Constitution is not working anymore and a lot of things have happened to this world that is not good.
Posted by resolutionsmasher 7 years ago
resolutionsmasher
I used to live in Austalia. They took our guns away and then started passing laws that restricted freedom. That's why I left. My brother's going through the same thing in Canada.
Posted by misty.c 7 years ago
misty.c
I am not against people that use guns for hunting to help their family. But I have been through a death in my family that was caused by a gun shot to the head so yeah this situation is very close to me. That is why I am against gun rights. The people may have got caught and a few months after they were going to try and brake out of jail by use guns.
Posted by resolutionsmasher 7 years ago
resolutionsmasher
Try not typing every word out with a capital letter.
Why do you believe in that?
Posted by country77 7 years ago
country77
I Am Against Gun Rights For Even A More Reason Then What I Think Misty Is Agasinst Them.
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
misty.cresolutionsmasherTied
Reasons for voting decision: Weak argument from Con, well rebuted by Pro. Obvious.
Vote Placed by M.Hernandez 5 years ago
M.Hernandez
misty.cresolutionsmasherTied
Vote Placed by kristoffersayshi 6 years ago
kristoffersayshi
misty.cresolutionsmasherTied
Vote Placed by ninjaraygun 7 years ago
ninjaraygun
misty.cresolutionsmasherTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
misty.cresolutionsmasherTied
Vote Placed by snelld7 7 years ago
snelld7
misty.cresolutionsmasherTied
Vote Placed by Charlie_Danger 7 years ago
Charlie_Danger
misty.cresolutionsmasherTied
Vote Placed by thejudgeisgod 7 years ago
thejudgeisgod
misty.cresolutionsmasherTied
Vote Placed by sherlockmethod 7 years ago
sherlockmethod
misty.cresolutionsmasherTied
Vote Placed by VolkEternal 7 years ago
VolkEternal
misty.cresolutionsmasherTied