evandudeguy
MistyBlue

Gun Rights

evandudeguy

evandudeguy

Pro

first round: acceptance
MistyBlue

Con

Thanks for the challenge, and I accept.
I will argue in favor of a civilian gun ban on guns in the US.
evandudeguy

Pro

Before i begin i would like to apologize for spelling errors and typos, i am operating onmy ipod.
As the popular tee-shirt most of us have seen says, guns dont kill people, people kill people. If guns are taken away from the public then the public will resort to the next best thing, likely knives. Plus, a new black market For firearms will open in america, increasing the need for police forces. If gun violence has grown so bad that we want to resort to taking away guns and spending millions traking down all current gunholders, then we should spend that money introducing a gun saftey program in high school, and cracking down on the "gangsters" who usually use guns for te wrong porpose. In short my thesis is get gun violence out of peoples heads, not get guns away from them. Secondly, The Armed Forces of America would suddenly become an enemy of the nation it defends because previous gunholders would be jelous. Thank you.
MistyBlue

Con

Rebuttals:

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people"

That may be the case, but allowing criminals easy access to guns is not the solution to this. Here's an example: (I am only showing the first few countries so the argument isn't too long, but you can find the full list at [1] )

CountryGuns per 100Total Firearm-related Deaths per 100,000
United States 88.8 10.2
Switzerland 45.7 3.84
Finland 45.3 3.64
Sweden 31.6 1.47

The United States has the most guns by far, and that directly correlates to the amount of gun deaths. The graph below confirms this analysis WITHIN the US, Massachusetts has the least amount of guns and gun deaths, while Wyoming has a lot of guns and a lot of deaths.
ownership vs gun death
Source [2] for the graph.

"If guns are taken away from the public then the public will resort to the next best thing, likely knives"

Possibly, but the amount of damage one can do with a knife is orders of magnitude lower than the destruction that is possible with a gun.

"Get gun violence out of peoples heads"

In a perfect world, that would work, but unfortunately human psychology is more complicated. Although this is not a gun example, it demonstrates human instincts. The Boston Marathon bomber was a completely normal person, not even his roommates knew that he was a psychotic wild person on the inside. People are unpredictable by nature, and guns aren't things that you can change your mind on. Suicide, for example, when you shoot yourself in the head, 99 times out of 100, you can't be saved.

Arguments:

Why would we need guns anyways?

Protection?

No. The probability of a normal citizen become Han Solo when a mass shooting occurs is close to zero. Highly trained police officers have been known to miss. People have shot family members by accident, children have come across their parents guns and shot themselves by accident, people settling into depression see the gun and contemplate suicide, all of these deaths could be prevented by a gun ban.

Collections?

Having a gun collection for the sake of collectibles is ehhhh, but having loaded guns in a collection is a BIG no-no. There are millions of gruesome gun accidents involving kids, family members mistaken as intruders, and other sad stories.

In conclusion, because I have not found any good reasons to own a gun, owning a gun is useless.

[1] http://abcnews.go.com...;
[2] http://www.motherjones.com...;

evandudeguy

Pro

Again I'm sorry for the unprofessionalism of my side of the argument but I'm limited by the technology I have available.

" the amount of damage one can do with a knife is orders of magnitude lower than the destruction that is possible with a gun"

If I was to be murdered and I had the choice between death by gunshot or death by knife, I would choose the gun, for the same reason hunters use guns, it makes a clean, quick, painless death if your shot in certain places, however, a knife really only has one application where it is pain free, being stabbed in the heart. While yet, it still has the same killing capacity minus the range.

" The probability of a normal citizen become Han Solo when a mass shooting occurs is close to zero. Highly trained police officers have been known to miss. People have shot family members by accident, children have come across their parents guns and shot themselves by accident"

Again, a mandatory gun safety course and training law when purchasing a firearm would help solve this problem. people who want a feeling of self defense may purchase a gun and learn to use it, however if you prefer not, then don't. This along with a gun safety course would help parents who own guns realize the importance of keeping them locked away.

"allowing criminals easy access to guns is not the solution to this"

Like any smart debater, I am willing to compromise with a foe. I do believe firearms should be restricted more carefully. For example, I live just down the road from Cabela's. I could leave for an hour and come back with a pistol, fully loaded and ready to go. that's completely unacceptable. We need laws to
A) restrict ALL automatic and semi-automatic weapons
B) set up a system similar to pharmaceutical companies, tracking who buys how much ammo and how often, and set limits.
and C) create a mandatory gun safety/training course prerequisite to buying firearms.
however guns are a necessity in todays time, for defense, hunting purposes and even to cleanly kill animals for meat products.

One point I would like to make clear is, I am not a supporter of gun rights because it is fun to shoot and fun to have them. I don't have my living room wall plastered with rifles, and I have never had a firearm at my side in public.
My pistol is kept under my mattress with the loaded magazine on top of my dresser, and it has a trigger lock on it, with the key being in my wallet. my hunting rifles are all in a combination locked safe at my private hunting grounds.
I am teaching my children how to be safe with firearms and to always make sure the safety is on, and that a gun is always pointed at the ground, not at a person or the sky. I simply love hunting. I never needed a semi/fully automatic weapon, and I always go for a clean, pain free kill. I make sure that if I miss the bullet drives into the ground, not on to the great blue yonder. I make sure that i am a role model for other gun owners.
Thank you, and once again i apologize for any grammar/spelling mistakes due to my inefficacy using an ipod.
MistyBlue

Con

MistyBlue forfeited this round.
evandudeguy

Pro

In the spirit of fairness, I will not present any new arguments until my opponent is readily available.
MistyBlue

Con

MistyBlue forfeited this round.
evandudeguy

Pro

evandudeguy forfeited this round.
MistyBlue

Con

MistyBlue forfeited this round.
Posted by Ritter94 3 years ago
Ritter94
I'm not sure where MistyBlue is getting her sources, but Illinois has the most restrictive gun rights in the country, yet has the highest murder rate due to firearms.
Vote Placed by kbub 2 years ago
kbub
evandudeguyMistyBlueTied
Reasons for voting decision: Doggone these dropped debates.