tajshar2k
Tore_Mihror

Gun bans would not be very effective in the U.S.A

tajshar2k

tajshar2k

Pro

=Resolution=

Read before accepting

So I will argue that on balance, Gun Bans will not be very effective in the U.S

My opponent will argue on balance Gun Bans would be effective

BOP is shared

No K's'

Definititions

Effective - successful in producing a desired or intended result

Gun Ban- So completely banning guns. Not just restrictions

Tore_Mihror

Con

I assume all definitions are very clear, accept "effective"

I hope you abide by the Merriam Webster definition of;

producing a result that is wanted : having an intended effect

of a law, rule, etc. : in use

I wish my opponent the best of luck and let this begin.
tajshar2k

Pro

Thank you Con for accepting

=Disclaimer=

Since Con had no objection to my resolution, except for the word "effective", this debate will be covering whether gun bans will be effective in the U.S.A. Note this is the entire nation, not just a couple states. I agree to follow Con's definition of effective.

I think for me to talk about what is effective, I first should tell everybody what the intended result of banning guns are. The main purpose of banning guns is to reduce the violent crime rate that has been plaguing the United States for nearly half a century. So this is what I will base my debate off. Whether gun bans would be effective in reducing the violent crime rate. Y'all can refer to this document(1) Note it says "fight against violence and crime" Not just gun violence

C1: Gun culture

The reason why I believe gun bans would not be that effective is because there is already a prevelant gun culture currently existing in America. We Americans love guns. Guns are part of our culture. Banning guns nationwide would severely effect those who depend on guns for their daily activities. For example, the state of New York. There are appoximately 15.1 hunters per square mile. So, banning guns would have a major impact on their way of life. (2)

C2: Little effect in certain states

Let me take the state of Vermont for example. It's a state that has much less restrictions on guns [3], and its homicide rate in 2013, was 1.3 per 100,000 [1]. So, here is evidence that banning guns would not make a huge difference. Vermont is basically a state with 0 gun control, and it's homicide rate its one of the safest in the country. What exactly would be the point of gun bans? People in Vermont depend on guns for hunting etc.., and it is very clear that most of their gun owners are responsible law abidding citizens.

C3: Guns are used for self-defense

Guns are used by Americans for self-defense annually. Studies found that approximately two million defensive gun uses occur each year[4]. In other studies it showed that between 800,000 and 2 million defensive gun uses are used per year[5], which show that guns save lives and protect against criminals. Let me compare this to the annual homicide rate.(4) You can see in 2013, the # of murders that occured were about 14,827. So the amount of times guns have been used for defensive purposes is nearly 100 times more than the total homicides that occured. Keep in mind, that not all of those murder's were commited by guns. Only 60%, or 8.855 murders. Well, you might think, "well gun bans would atleast prevent 8,885 murders." I'll show in my next contention why that is not the case.

C4: Illegal guns/ Pro's of CCW

So the United States has a big issue dealing with Illegal guns. There are approximately, 250 to 280 million guns in circulation in the U.S. In other words, 93% of gun crime is actually commited by illegal guns. (5) This number is so insanely high, it almost wouldn't make any significant difference, if all law abiding citizens were forced to give their guns away.

Now I will explain how CCW actually has benefited more. Ever since CCW states have enacted CCW's to their citizens, states have witnessed an 8.5% drop in murders, 5% in rapes, 7% in aggrevated assaults and 3% in robberies. So, in some states, CCW does serve as a detterent to crime.

C5:Britain has a higher violent crime than the U.S

This is also a good example of why banning guns wouldn't mean anything. U.S actually has a violent crime rate of 466 of 100,00. Meanwhile the U.K, a country who has the strictest gun control in the EU, has a 2,304 of 100,000. Really what this means, is that you won't likely get shot in the U.K, but you will probably get shanked with a butter knife. (6)

Joke asides, I found an article that attempted to debunk this claim. It basically talks about how the U.K's definition for violent crime is different from the U.S. Even then, the author still conceded that the U.K had more violent crime than the U.S at 776 per 100,00 (7)

1:http://www.gunpolicy.org...
2:https://www.qdma.com...
4:http://www.statista.com...
5:http://crimeresearch.org...
6:http://www.telegraph.co.uk...
7:http://blog.skepticallibertarian.com...
Tore_Mihror

Con

Tore_Mihror forfeited this round.
Tore_Mihror

Con

Tore_Mihror forfeited this round.
Tore_Mihror

Con

Tore_Mihror forfeited this round.
Posted by tajshar2k 1 year ago
tajshar2k
For c5, I said "776 per 100,00" I really mean 776 per 100,000
Posted by Tore_Mihror 1 year ago
Tore_Mihror
Hey I just accepted, do you want the first round to be just want sentence, or have my full opening argument?
Posted by Romanii 1 year ago
Romanii
I am interested in doing a gun-related debate with you, but definitely not with this resolution.

A gun ban in the US is objectively impossible because of the inherent respect for guns and distrust of big government in our culture. It would literally cause a civil war.

I'll debate "allowing civilians to own guns is beneficial to the US" or something along those lines. In other words, I want a debate on the effects of guns on society, which I'm guessing would be a central part of this debate anyways. I just don't want to have to deal with the societal response argument.
Posted by tajshar2k 1 year ago
tajshar2k
the?
Posted by Lexus 1 year ago
Lexus
You need to limit the resolution ever further to counterbalance any interpretation of this phrase - please define the word "the".
Posted by tajshar2k 1 year ago
tajshar2k
oh the spelling!
Posted by tajshar2k 1 year ago
tajshar2k
what?
Posted by Varrack 1 year ago
Varrack
"Gun's ban's"
Posted by tajshar2k 1 year ago
tajshar2k
reducing violence
Posted by ThalesofMilesia 1 year ago
ThalesofMilesia
Effective at fulfilling what "desire result"?
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
tajshar2kTore_MihrorTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Balacafa 1 year ago
Balacafa
tajshar2kTore_MihrorTied
Vote Placed by tejretics 1 year ago
tejretics
tajshar2kTore_MihrorTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.